Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Small Business Owners

Small Business Owners2011-01-13T14:50:31+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Self-Employment Small Business Owners

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can anyone suggest software that is ADD brain friendly? I need some kind of inventory and finacial worksheet system and I want to make sure I find something that fits.

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

I don’t kow that any one accounting package is “add brain friendly” more than another.

That said, I use a very dated copy of MYOB for the books in my office. I looked at a newer revision the other day and found myself fretting over all the additional options and complexity they added so maybe there is a difference?

Perhaps you can find an old license of MYOB Premier V1.5 or V2.0 – warning though, it won’t handle payroll and if you have LOTS of inventory items (like 10,000+) it will take a while to initially boot up. You will also have to key in the new sales tax rates.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I found accounting and money and record keeping and taxes to be very difficult – personally, then it was the pits with a retail business.

So much so we hired an accountant just to keep all the books and pay all the bills. Otherwise………… welll……..

IMO there’s no such thing as friendly book keeping or accounting. It stinks, and I’ve even taken classes on accounting and business law.

UGH – I’d pay someone else to do it unless you like over-due bills – IF that is an option, that is.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Luckily I am very small time, I have yet to make or sell enough to move out of the “hobby” tax lable, but I plan to build up this year. I’ll look up MYOB, thank you. I have an oldish Works, I like it, but it has no templates for inventory or invoices. Even being as small as I am it is easy to loose track of orders and stock, I am also very sick of the post-it sale’s invoice system that I’m using now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Take a look at Quick Books Pro or Premier (quickbooks.ca). They an Intuit programs, interface with Quick Tax for easier tax returns, and and relatively easy to use. Worth checking out :)

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

Personally I found Quickbooks to be a total disaster. Then again, I’m a tax accountant so I am used to using “real” accounting programs which quickbooks certainly is NOT. I don’t mind a user-friendly ‘front end”, but the program should have a proper back end complete with GL accounts and codes. That is what MYOB always offered that Quickbooks never did.

Quickbooks bought out MYOB about 10 years ago, then proceeded to kill it off as it was a “competing” product. SO you’re going to be hard pressed to find an old copy of MYOB anywhere. HOWEVER a bright spot on the horizon is that apparently MYOB USA has come to Canada. I’ve heard they will be releasing a new package sometime during 2011. Hopefully, it will be as good as the old MYOB.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whatever your self occupation is check out the web and calll your competition yes competition……. but in another state and ask what they use. People in the same industry love to share as long as we feel not threatened. So try to find someone far away from you but in the same country and field. Also check for trade groups in your field and reach out to them as many fields have and use the same types of software and the software companies often market these trade groups as it is more cost effective for them to do it that way. May i ask your field to possibly offer assistance?

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

njadd- I don’t think he was looking for reccomendations on software specific to his industry, but rather software that works well with the ADD brain.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gotcha Turbo…… I apologize Nomish if i have led you in the wrong direction. Having been a small business owner (independent and franchise) I saw your posts and I also had many issues with software as well (service business industries) Having been introduced to software vendor upon software vendor I realized the importance of computerization and technology (very important). There are many different types of software programs out there that do many different things and do it in different ways. Software products out there do everything from tracking, accounting, inventory. marketing etc. I see the areas of concern in your post and I have found software companies today are understanding of people with ADD challenges. I again might suggest going to a trade association within your industry (via the web) and see if you can find any software companies associated with your industry (You will be surprised how many software companies are industry specific) and contact them and see what systems they may offer and explain to them what your specific needs are and prior issues have been and i think you will be pleasently surprised what help they may offer. I used a system that I could plug in (the software company that is) any accounting system I wanted (Q books, Peech tree and Etc) and they found out ways to merge/integrate it with other modules Ie sales, scheduling, logistics etc. so i was a true 21st century company even though small in size. It could be “leased” as apposed to being purchased and be net based (all done on-line). So the framework and cutom templates to which I helped design and modify for my specific accounting needs (and the needs of my accountant) with the software company where are already there everytime i turned on my computer. If you have isssues on the software product side they took care of it quickly, It is my experience today as opossed to 5 yrs ago often the technical people in these types of software companies have personnel that also understand your business (yes even the accounting side as it relates to your specific business/industry) and they can offer great assistance.

If i am still missing the boat regarding this topic please let me know…… Best of luck in your business…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am useing QB pro now, Its not to hard once I figured out how to do it, and relized I can take my time learning it. I used simple data base system for years and that was always best for me. Now my inventory has outgrown the data base so to speak & it takes way to much time.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are even accountants that are also Quick Book certified that will help u set up and use the system here in NJ for free.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t do it hire out! At least that is what I did ^_^

Dustin Knight

http://www.knightsgamingrepair.com

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you are correct about hiring out book keeping . But i also think it is important that a good relationship be established so you do not become disconnected from the money and cash flow of the business……. Some bookeeping/accounting firms use programs that the information about your business is available for you to view anytime from your computer over the net so you may see your business working numbers but the organization and input is handled by the bookeepers/accountants. This will allow you to concentrate on your business and what you do best…………….. If i had taken my own advice I would not be in the position I am in now,,,,,,, For me as a ADHDer procastination is a huge stumbling block…….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

For sure, hire out, at least for the details, I do the entering of my own books, this lets me keep a handle on cash flow, then my book keeper handles the details, hire smarter people when ever needed, focus on what you are good at, and like to do

G

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t start-out to be a business owner, but I worked for my father and inherited the business on his passing. I was trained into bookkeeping out of high school. I tried to graduate from college while handling this job. I blamed my parents for my frustrations and found a guy to marry so I could move out of the house. Then I added cooking and shopping and laundry duties and taking care of the husband to my duty list. I kept the husband and the job, but my college degree went down the toilet.

I am surrounded by ADD people. My husband has it big time and we have 2 sons that have it. My husband couldn’t satisfy his foreign language requirement in college because he doesn’t know the parts of language like verb, adverb, etc…We became aware of ADHD and learning disabilities when our older son was in kindergarden and was having difficulty.

The business is a paint and hardware store and I am surrounded by ADD people at work. Sales jobs seem to be an area that ADDers go to. When salespeople aren’t working with customers, they check-in orders and restock so there is very little desk work and a lot of opportunity to move around. And they are very hands-on people who are happy to demonstrate a tool or give painting or maintenance advise.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)