Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

So embarassing…but skin picking, anyone?

So embarassing…but skin picking, anyone?2010-04-02T16:36:29+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? So embarassing…but skin picking, anyone?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh totally…when I filled out the initial surveys evaluating for ADD, I checked “no” for the “do you fidget” question.

Then later it occurred to me that not only DO I fidget, I’ve also spent years chewing my hair, biting nails, picking skin, etc.

It’s funny, because I guess there are so many things that we do to keep our hands busy that we don’t even realize at first that we are doing, but that still (pretty much) count as fidgeting.

REPORT ABUSE

Philabuster

Damn. I am guilty of a lot of these nervous fidgeting behaviors you all mentioned: Nail, fingertip, and cuticle biting; mustache hair pulling ( I have no mustache–just when the whiskers get long enough to pull with my teeth); nose picking is not bad, but it is there; eyebrow hair pulling, I used to pull eyelashes, but thankfully I stopped that one; zits are a given, but in my late 30s, so not many of those to go around; scab pulling is a given when I do get them.

Speaking of biting, somehow it is a soothing sensation. I always chew on plastic to get the same sensation as when chewing on my fingernails–pens, straws, whatever is around. People have even commented many times over the years, “He chews on things just like a puppy.”

I am constantly reminded by my girlfriend when I am chewing my nails, but during times of high stress (very high now), she doesn’t say much because it is rather pointless.

Someone told me that you will stop chewing your nails if you become a plumber. Might not be a bad idea. Plumbers make good money.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! HELLO ALL! This is my first ever post on an ADD message board. I have NOT beeb technically diognosed, but it is extremely clear the first 5 min you meet me. I just decided after seeing the WTTW special that its worth doing some fixing even tho I am age 50. Anyway, so seeing this topic made me click on it right away. I am so addicted to plucking my eye brows, I yank off my skin and bleed. This drives my kids and husband nuts. I do it while watching TV. The only time I sit and lay down still is in front of TV, but I have to be plucking or texting or on the phone too. I’m beginning to drive myself nuts like this and my disorganization is just painful and sad. So I’m here to get help. Thanks for listening and sharing all your stories.

REPORT ABUSE

Sirisly

Was pondering this very same thing today as I found myself picking at my face because I couldn’t get up the whatever to sort my laundry. I thing I view it as an avoidance strategy. I feel like my mind is always struggling to find its place or its path and picking my face gives me something to do when I can’t bring myself to get anything to do. One of the experts in the film had a name for it that escapes me now. I can’t wait to get on meds!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“It’s funny, because I guess there are so many things that we do to keep our hands busy that we don’t even realize at first that we are doing, but that still (pretty much) count as fidgeting.”

Yes, I had always wondered why I was the only adult in the room who couldn’t seem to sit still–I’ve always got to be doing something with my hands or my mouth. Sometimes I just go thru and touch all the “centering” spots on my body–can’t explain this except that there are places where when I press them I feel more “complete.” Like spots on the insides of my elbows and wrists and gums. Ooh, I guess that’s weird and I’ve never brought that up anywhere before–it’s a relief to have this forum. BTW, I don’t have any symptoms of OCD so that’s not it at all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, nice to know that my brother & I aren’t alone! Both of us have the “can’t leave the scab alone” scars on our sholders.

An annoying, unsolicited, word of caution: be CAREFUL with the repetative motion activities with the hands!!! I went to a great music school on scholarship for bassoon. Unfortunately the hyperfocus that got me there through endless hours of practice caused PERMANENT damage to my hands & wrists. I was forced to quit less than 2yrs into the program.

Peace & hyperfocus in good health :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, intro time since this is my first post. I’m 53, the light just came on after seeing ‘Loving It!?’ on PBS. Now I think, DUH. Ah, well, water under the bridge. I’m on my second day trying Strattera (we shall see, so far I’m slowed-down but a little spacey). I chew up the inside of my cheeks. Chew. Them. Up. I pace, too. I tap on things and bounce my heels, too. I’m always stretching, too. Other than that, though, I’m not hyper at all! If someone knows a way to break the cheek-chewing habit, let us know, willya? I feel kinda silly whenever someone catches me (which isn’t very often, I’m pretty vigilant).

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

allovertheplace-

I am no expert, but it almost sounds like OCD behaviour (obsessive compulsive disorder) to me rather than just impulse control. ADHD has very high rates of comorbidity (co-occurence) with other disorders, like OCD, Tourette’s syndrome & depression so it may be worth talking to your doctor about this, especially if you feel it is impairing your quality of life.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have this problem too and am so embarrassed about it. But on the bright side, it decreased significantly when I started taking Wellbutrin. Still gets worse around PMS time, but better than it was before.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

New member here. I am 49 – recently diagnosed. Went at the suggestion of my 9 year old son’s doc (he has ADHD as well as sensory integration issues).

I am a big time head scratcher. Found that my hands need to be busy doing something pretty much all the time. Or I need to walk. Something has to move!

My son has a similar quirk. His doc explained it as part of his sensory issues – which I guess is a very common tie in with ADHD. He needs the stimulation in order to focus. We were able to find a school that incorporates movement breaks between each learning module and permits oral supports (eg gum).

Now if I can only find an adult solution for me before I go bald!

Now if

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah- i have a touch of OCD like this. as a kid i would tap things in even numbers, if i made a certain move like a step, or a cough or a sniff or gesture or whatever and it felt wrong, i’d have to do it again to balance it out/step backwards and mirror it with the other side of my body, etc. i’m still weird about odd numbers- i can’t eat or take offered chips or pistachio nuts or anything singly (has to be even numbers) and you don’t want to know how stupid it feels to run down the path in a panic after your loved-one after he’s just left for work, yelling “that was only 5 kisses! thats an odd number! i need one more! or at least take one back!”.

i used to check lightswitches constantly, i bounce my legs when i’m sitting (you can feel the whole truck shaking at stoplights, and hear my feet bouncing through the ceiling below when i’m in the office, tables bounce from my knees hitting the tops underneath!), i pick at everything, fiddle with drinking straws, chip bags, etc- folding them and tying them in knots and so on.

i will spend hours trying to tweeze hairs that are ludicrously short- giving myself big sore scabby patches as a result- getting upset to the point of tears- i have to yell to my bf to come and take the tweezers away and hide them cos that impulse won’t let me stop, i pick at everything- including zits that aren’t even there, bruising and messing up eversoslightly plugged pores- chew the inside of my face, and whats worse, i get really fixated on it if my bf gets a zit, and will plead with him to let me ‘fix’ it (he won’t, the meanie). i can’t bite my nails anymore cos my teeth don’t meet perfectly now- i’ve worn them down a bit over the years chewing on a facial piercing- but i used to chew the quick on the side of my nails- i clip it now instead.

i also LOVE performing surgery on splinters- its my favourite thing ever. the ritual of sterilising tools, working out the best approach, trying to get it without making your victim wince, and the sense of acheivement when you finally get that vicious little sliver of metal/wood in your grasp and coax it out… its awesome.

yep, i’m a sicko. :P

i think its all about control, as well as compulsion, impulse control and the comfort of structure and repetition in a routine, pattern, etc. i know my OCD tendances started at a really stressful point in my childhood, and flared up again when i got very depressed in my teens.

the main issue i have with OCD is that if you give it an inch, it’ll take a mile. letting a new pattern sneak in on the periphery stick is fatal, cos once its in, getting rid of it is insanely hard.

oh yeah- does anyone itch? i’m crazily itchy and feel non-existant bugs scuttling about on my skin a lot- i take antihistamines for it, or my skin crawls constantly and i’ll scratch myself raw. if i pay any attention to it it gets ten times worse (i’ve had to stop 4 times to scratch during this sentance). i have dermographism, i don’t know how much of it is related to that, but it sucks anyway.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just saw ADD & Loving it for the third time. I love it! It’s so dynamic and positive! Good work guys! I’m writing in this topic ’cause I realised, watching it, the reason why I don’t play video games as much anymore, I switched addiction! I’m addicted to the Internet now! And so, doing lots of reading and waiting for reactions or new posts and comments on different website, I got back to pimple popping again. I gave myself permission to eat milk products during the holydays and it shows on my skin. I’m a mess and I really did a splendid job at pimple popping! I attack my feet too (yes, I do that too when my fingers are unocuppied). So, just to say I’m back at it and hope that once I get the 3DS I’ll get my fingers busy with video games again. I can’t wait for Super Mario 3D and Animal Crossing 3D as well :-)

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

I have picked at the skin on my fingers and chewed the inside of my mouth for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I also remember how my parents and grandparents constantly criticized these behaviours. I still can’t stop doing these things; sometimes many minutes will have gone by before I realize it. But at least now I don’t blame myself anymore and that’s a relief!

In the last couple of years I’ve also started picking at the soles of my feet – I hate the fact that I do this but yeah, totally addictive somehow. (Wearing socks helps.) And I’ve started twirling my hair. When I’m alone, this can get very annoying, because sometimes I’ll feel like I have to make it all stay up in buns and that takes a long time, my hand gets tired, etc. (One year I resolved to a “dreadlock” hairstyle, because I was twisting my hair so much.)

Reading this was both tragic and hilarious. It’s funny that these are problems! But they really are, especially in social situations…

Another tip: I wear bandaids when my hangnails get painful, that way I can’t make them worse by accidentally picking at them more.

Come to think of it, ADHD is probably a big reason I started smoking: I don’t smoke much, but when I do it’s because I like having something in my hands/mouth, like when I have to walk somewhere. Ha.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

looks like we all bite and pick . I gave up nail biting after startiing my happy pills as the people that know me real well cll it. I do find that I am scratching the top of my head looking for anything that pops up. ha ha . I’ll scratch till it comes out or it will blead. so we are in good company.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Really interesting, I do the hair thing, Nails, cuticles, pimples or any other type of blemish for that matter, and have a long family history of simular too, but mainly seen in my female relatives. I was diagnosed with OCD years before ADHD. The anxiety and emotional responses I am hearing here are exactly how I would describe my own situation. I have always been embarrassed about full disclossure of my actions or at least to the extent I am finding here in this forum.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)