Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

So much to do- So little time!

So much to do- So little time!2011-12-09T14:41:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Motivation/Staying on Track So much to do- So little time!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m in my last week of college this semester, and I’m in a bit of a ditch. I literally this week began treatment for ADD, and realized just how long I’ve had this problem and been struggling with it. I was a straight A student until middle school when (I believe) ADD started to affect me.

Halfway through this semester I dropped three of the six classes, because I just couldn’t focus on them, and decided to try and focus on my three highest grades and hope for the best!

While one is fine, if not 100% (A Graphic Arts class, what I plan on majoring in.) I’m in a lot of trouble with the other two.

I won’t know until later today whether my math class is even possible, but my speech class, well I’m on the edge.

I should be able to pass it with a D no problem, but this is a community college, and I need to get a C for it to be a transferable class for a four year. Now yesterday my teacher told me how exactly I may be able to pull this off, lots of redoing and deadlines!

Tonight, I have 14 peer reviews, and a power point due for extra credit.

(That would have been due LAST night, but my teacher has a daughter and husband with ADD, so she gave me extra time.)

I need to do three self reviews, due Thursday.

I need to redo a nearly failed speech and get at least 20 more points on it than I had before.

Then, and only then may I be able to pass with a C… IF I get a high B or A on the final Thursday.

Help! What do you do to help concentrate? Is it even possible for me to pull off? Should I give up and try again next year?

I’d try caffeine to give me an extra boost but I also have migraines, and caffeine is a bad trigger for me, made even worse if I already have one. Which I do, slightly, from stress.

I’m going to try and do as much as I can for now, but please someone help me!

(Hopefully I put this in the right category!)

EDIT: Math is a lost cause. My grade is two points to low to pass with even a 100% on the final. Ugh. Now I’m even more desperate to pass Speech!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Someone mentioned that colleges have support for people with ADD, is there someone you can contact to ask for help? Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too did not seek treatment till college due to my family was in denial and refused to think i had an issue other than being talkative, always on the go, out of place, messy organized, ocd about stuff, and just a plain wack job who loved to work out…….sadly in college after my daughter came along i caved in and sought help i do admit no CAFFIENE WITH any of the stimulants as it is known that it increases the effects of it causing you to have tooo much stimuli….having a good workout…walk…meditation helps before my mornings and/or at night also try to talk to your doctor about getting on something for anxiety to help ease you into the medications.

It will be ok just breathe i know how hard it can be

REPORT ABUSE

billd

not sure how you define middle school – for us it would have been 6-8th grades.

IF you were straight A before that and someting “started to effect you starting in middle school”, frankly, I personally doubt ADD. That tends to start a lot earlier, like having major impact in grade school, such as 2nd, 3rd, 4th grades, etc.

In fact a GOOD doctor will look for the signs early in school before giving an ADD diagnosis in most cases.

It’s one of the criteria.

You can have symptoms that mirror ADD starting later……… there are a lot of things, a LOT, that mimic it very well, and some start later, even a head injury, certain chemical exposures, etc. can look almost exactly like ADD – thus, one of the criteria is that it starts very early.

I was a disaster by 3rd grade –

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I taught kindergarten for awhile and agree with you build. I had a couple of kids in my class that I thought might have ADD, but 5 is pretty early for that diagnoses.It usually shows up around 7 or 8 in my experience. Of course those kids that get the diagnoses at 7 or 8 had it at 5, but a lot of kids are pretty immature and that doesn’t necessarily mean they have ADD. It’s pretty easy to pick out the kids in the class that have the H part of ADHD. It’s those kids that don’t show the impulsive behavior and are instead scatterbrained and easily distracted that tend to get missed and left behind. I was one of those. My sister got put on Ritalin due to her impulsive behavior but my mother didn’t like medicating her so that didn’t last long. I was/am calm so I didn’t even get checked out.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

So apparently you had the ADD without the H. There’s a lot of that as well.

The hyperactivity like I had turns more inward as we turn into adults………..

I looked back at my school times (Mom saved every single report card each of us boys got through the years and not long ago, passed the scrapbooks and report cards to us)

It was really sad, depressing, spooky to look back and read the actual comments penned in by each teacher. Apparently I was a royal pain in the sitting place.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)