Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

So, This is Stupid

So, This is Stupid2012-12-17T08:13:41+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Methylphenidate Generic So, This is Stupid

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

allan wallace

Cripes, it’s a minefield we walk every day, no? Forgetfulness and procrastination are Siamese twins, and the little bastards are stuck on our backs like baby koalas!

I’m still trying to figure out how to navigate through this site now…somehow I fluked it on today, but I can’t access those nice funny faces, or pop an av in! Maybe next time…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Several of you seem to be having experiences similar to me.  I also am feeling like a youngster that is waiting to be corrected, and the ‘you forgot that again?’  And it has been a very long time since I was that young.

I have tried various methods to keep track of things, etc. but I seldom can find my list when I need it.  For now, my wonderful wife (allegedly non-adhd; she is not sure it is real) wife helps me to do what is needed, at the right time, etc.

It is very helpful to read your experiences here; it helps me realize that while few people around me understand my struggles, that I am not alone.

When I discovered ADD/ADHD about 15 years ago, it was a tremendous relief; I had spent several years trying to be more like other / normal people.  I capabilities that fewer that 2% of the population has; rather than suppress those things, I have been able to accept that these differences can be used to help others.

I even try to use my ability to see things differently than others to find humor; for instance, recently a drive through shop opened that sells coffee and frozen yogurt.  They have a large sign on there building: Drive Thru Frozen Yogurt.

Of course, I asked “Why would anyone want to drive through yogurt, frozen or not?”

It  is great that this site exists, and makes available tools that can help us to be more effective at controlling our lives.

Thanks to all that make this site possible.

Rick, I love your picture: I do not have the T-shirt, but that looks just the way I feel.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

sdwa, you’re not lazy, crazy, or stupid.  🙂  I do the same thing, except it’s as if I don’t notice that I’m running out of pills until it’s too late.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

@MarieAngell:

That is an excellent suggestion, to work on one habit at a time. Of course, I would try to change all habits at once, today, completely, if I could set off a giant explosion in my living room that would obliterate all of my challenges in an instant, never mind what new problems might be created in the process. Or, as Larynxa puts it, ride off madly in all directions.

Some time ago, I acquired a copy of “ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life,” and recall that it inspired sighs of frustration, disgust, impatience, disdain, and a fair-amount of eye-rolling. But I might have a different reaction now that I am farther along in my understanding of ADHD. The books is still on the floor of my bedroom halfway out of the closet.

@infoman

If I saw a sign like that, I’m sure the question “why would anyone want to drive through frozen yogurt?” would be my first reaction as well. Especially in this weather.

My husband has been a great support to me over the years, mainly because he remains calm when I am not – although when he loses his keys or a tube of toothpaste, quickly becomes a ranting maniac. I think he has ADHD too, as evidenced by the number of times he needs to return home right ten minutes after driving away – because forgot his wallet or wants to make sure the stove was turned off or that the iron is unplugged, or because he forgot the documents he needed for the trip, or decides that a chess board might become necessary later. Or the way last night he decided to just drill a hole in the floor to run an ethernet cable upstairs, and accidentally yanked out a piece of electrical wiring. Hopefully that section wasn’t important and the house won’t burn down. Or the way he needs to drive to the office of the utility company to pay our electric and water bills right before they cut us off.  Not that I don’t also do those things, or couldn’t take charge of paying the bills (ha ha, yeah right) but it’s as though we’ve chosen to specialize. He forgets the bills, but I leave the laundry molding in the machine for two days, or wander away from the kitchen while I’m cooking. The division of labor is very traditional. It is helpful to have a partner who provides a buffer and/or voice of reason, reminders, perspective, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was going to post, then I saw the molding laundry comment and needed to go change mine. Sigh, or restart the washer. I still feel like a 15yr old, but I assume that is because my very loving, extended, close-knit family still treats me like one. And they all live in a 5 mile radius of me. Never mind that I am raising 3 children by myself and have been for 8 yrs. Granted, most days are a crap-shoot, but they’re all three still alive and kicking. That counts, right?

@sdwa, I use my cell phone charger to charge my Kindle Fire, thus eliminating a cord. I’ve found cell phone chargers will charge lots of things…Nintendo ds’s and Kindles being the 2 major ones in my house.  My son has major issues with ADHD and Azberger’s and filling his scripts is hard because I have to pay attention to meds I’m not even taking. Two things have helped: His doc fills out several months worth of scripts and writes “do not fill until such and such date” on the later ones, and my pharmacy takes all the scripts so I don’t have to keep track of them. So I just have to go into the pharm and tell them they have this script and I need it filled. #2 is I have a week long pill box that I fill every Sunday evening as we are getting ready for the week. When I put the last week in, that gives me a deadline to call it in, and he rarely runs out. Having said that, he was just out of 2 very important ones for about a week because I kept forgetting to go pick them up when the pharm was open. But it works more consistantly than any other method I’ve tried.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guess I should say that I’m in the US and us a national chain pharmacy so it should be available where you are too.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)