Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Solace from children

Solace from children2011-04-23T14:28:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Solace from children

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jpsimard

Howdy folks,

I’m finding myself working through the “depression” stage of my new awareness, working on towards acceptance. I’m writing because of some amazing experiences that I’ve had recently as a substitute teacher. I’m subbing here in PEI to raise some extra cash for my audition tour this summer in Europe, and as much as I first approached as just a supplementary income opportunity, I’ve fallen in love with it.

One of the schools I’ve been teaching at recently has got a fair ADD/ADHD population, with quite a few diagnosed children undergoing treatment, and a few who (in my opinion) have yet to be caught. That being said, as a sub… I’ve only taught these guys about a dozen times now, and the only thing I have to go on is intuition and hindsight.

What I wanted to share with you is this: Last week in one of my classes, one of the kids was acting up during a quiet work period. I corrected him a few times, and each time he got sheepishly embarrassed, and got back to work. Sound familiar?

However, he just couldn’t focus, and one of the other students lost her mind on him, with all of our favorite things to hear: “Why don’t you just -try- and sit still? You could focus if you just tried! You’re just a lazy slacker.” This all came out rapidly, and I was -shocked-. The young man replied saying that he was sorry that he’d gotten a little excited, that he had ADHD, and crestfallen asked to be excused.

I gave him permission, but before he left I stood up in front of the class and told the students that I, like this young guy, also have ADHD. I explained to them that our brains are wired differently, and that for me… my thoughts are more like clouds or a brainstorm, where one thought has many branching thoughts, where people without ADHD can look at the brainstorm, pick the one thought and work with it. They don’t even have to pick, it just happens.

The young man excused himself for a moment to go “change gears” and when he came back I spent the rest of the class answering questions about my journey with ADHD.

Since then several students have come up to me in the halls and identified as having ADHD. Each has asked me about my journey through school, and if it was easy or hard… and I told them mine was hard, because I’d only recently been diagnosed, but that I was very excited for them because we have resources and an understanding now that just wasn’t there when I was a kid. Some of these kids come and hang out in my homeroom when I sub, so we can chat, and I’ve found the experience of connecting with them to be amazing.

Thought you’d all appreciate this little insight into my life.

Regards,

Justin

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Wow, what a moving story. These kids are lucky to have you. Not only did you get solace, but you provided it, as well.

It’s also great that the kids in that school are being properly diagnosed and helped. Where I live, any psychological problems are still met with shame and ridicule. Really, your kids are very blessed, not just by you, but by parents who seem to be letting the kids know how to cope with their ADD. That child knew just how to handle things, by taking a break. You made his day, I’m sure, by being so supportive and open.

Are you a teacher by trade, or just subbing for the Europe trip? If you aren’t a teacher, maybe you should think about it. Sounds like these kids could use more teachers like you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)