Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Speaking of Bi-Polar…

Speaking of Bi-Polar…2011-04-15T17:01:18+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Co-morbidities/Secondary Disorders Speaking of Bi-Polar…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

This interesting video on Bi-Polar Disorder appeared on the Wall Street Journal’s website today, 15 April or April 15, depending on where in the Anglophone world you live…

http://online.wsj.com/video/shedding-light-on-bipolar-disorder/53AF4DB4-0533-4E27-A634-11796C4A8CE1.html

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sitting here stunned over what I just heard from this video. Begs the questions: What then, is the difference between Bi-Polar II and ADHD? AND This doctor speaks of “developing” Bi-Polar. Is this a Nature vs. Nurture discussion? Can we also then “develop” ADHD due to a busy lifestyle? I knew of Bi-Polar/ADHD crossovers but this really exaggerates it. My [former] doctor years and years ago, said “you might be a little bi-polar”. Her area of expertise is NOT in mental health and I was insulted by her suggestion. But I’m now thinking that yeah, “a little bi-polar” equates to ADHD…. but not according to this video.

Any other thoughts after viewing this?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Apparently not.

It’s all confusing. No question about it. Unfortunately, it turns out that the chemistry of the brain is extremely complex. Doctors and researchers are still learning. Because of that complexity, it’s not always easy to arrive at accurate diagnoses. And it’s not always easy—or apparently even possible—to find treatments that provide real relief for many people.

Maybe before too long researchers will come to a better understanding of the neurological underpinnings of ADD and bi-polar disorder. Then, armed with a better grip on the organic chemistry, perhaps they’ll find newer and better ways of mitigating the myriad, sometimes contradictory symptoms of these afflictions.

In the mean time, I guess we commiserate. We hope for rapid medical progress. We try various hit and miss therapies. We try to muddle through.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m very interested in this as my father and sister were both diagnosed with Bi-Polar. My father in the early 1960s ended up getting shock treatment! I’m “lower end spectrum” ADHD, but it’s debilitating enough! My brother is probably one or the other as well. Everyone in my family (both sides) show signs of ADHD … some worse than others. My aunt and I turned out the “best”… able to complete college, stay married and keep a job, but not without “extra” effort. The men (uncles) self medicated with alcohol, the women with talk, talk, talk and busy, busy, busy though some of the younger members (cousins) use [illegal] drugs. It’s so sad as I see my family as being very bright, talented, gifted individuals… <sigh>

I really hope someone is doing research on this. ADHD is tough enough but Bi-Polar is like being “possessed”.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)