Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Staff Development

Staff Development2011-08-04T21:12:55+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Staff Development

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is so hard to sit through days-on-end of 8 hour days listening to lectures. I am completing a staff development course and it is 5 days. I am just ending summer vacation, so I am really out of the loop. I am exhausted after 4 days. I had to get up and literally leave one lecture/discussion that would never end. There was this one person that kept asking questions and it really started to get me cranky. On top of it all, I still have to care for my son, make dinner, and do my homework. I also need down time and I am deprived of that as well. I’m kind of whining, but staff development is so hard. Does anyone else have to suffer through these sorts of meetings?

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Wow, tha’ts me……… I had trouble with an 8 hour all day class on Monday.

Yes, same feelings.

I’m trying for a reasonable accomodation to get them to allow online courses, or shorter courses, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m with you there. In addition to the normal corporate nonsense, I have to take Continuing Education, 12 hours a year to keep my license. I would rather eat broken glass than go to another seminar.

You know seminar is from semi- meaning “half” and “-arse” meaning ass. So if you want something half-assed, go to a seminar.

I think it really aggravates our ADD tendencies. The restlessness, hyperactivity, the inattentiveness and the fast brain all combine to make you want go over to the moron who thinks this meeting is really about learning and bash him over the head with the catering tray. These meetings are all about checking the box that HR, or management or whomever can say we were trained on x, y and z.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bet an on-line class must be great. I haven’t taken one, but I’d really like too. I think it would cut out a lot of the physical constraints and over stimulation or mental fatigue.

I hear you, that these are about checking off the box. Yah, the half-ass comment regarding seminars is mainly true. This is a seminar for teaching, so some of the information is helpful, but most of the time I’m like; yah, yah, yah!

Another issue I struggle with is the constant urge to call out when I make a connection during a conversation. I try to control it, but then I overcompensate and have a hard time speaking up.

This may be another scenario that gets people worked up. In the class, our teacher is a math coach to one of the students/ teachers, so they have a nice personal rapport. The issue is that in the middle of lectures, the student starts conversations about their work together. These conversations tend to be off- topic and the teacher indulges it. I tend to get annoyed and think, “Why do I have to listen to this banter?” These conversations should be held after the class on their own time. Do other people have the same thoughts or am I the only annoyed person in a class of 20 people. No one complains or redirects the conversation.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hear ya!

I get frustrated when people don’t get to the point or stick to the agenda. I used to ask: Why do you bring that up? But that did not ever endear me to anyone.

And I used to pass the hours by writing down everything that everybody was saying…that also did not endear me to anyone. I did, however, learn to write very fast.

Just remember that your brain works faster than theirs.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That always mess me up, because I am such a slow processor. LOL.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you really? I’ll bet you’re processing a dozen different things as you’re reading this.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

>>Are you really? I’ll bet you’re processing a dozen different things as you’re reading this. <<

But not successfully………check the last 20 seconds or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWV0pAm43j4&feature=related

I agree fully with him. Even “Normal” folks can’t truly multitask as science has shown us in the past few years. Those that force it later in life have memory problems. It’s a myth – even in ADD folks as although there’s a lot in their head – only one gets done or done well.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)