Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Starting a new job in the midst of ADHD diagnosis process

Starting a new job in the midst of ADHD diagnosis process2011-10-04T04:44:07+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers Starting a new job in the midst of ADHD diagnosis process

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stash
    Participant

So, I’m starting a new job tomorrow. When I realized I wasn’t feeling much of anything about it, I was at first a bit surprised, but then I stepped back and took a look at my current situation, and it’s not really that surprising. A week tomorrow I go for my diagnostic appointment, 5 weeks after first discovering that there might just be a reason that I have been struggling to have a successful life for 41 years.

I’m lucky in that I will be working for a friend and I’ve already discussed the possible ADHD diagnosis with him. It’s a creative environment and I’ll be doing a variety of tasks, most of which I have a fair bit of experience with already, so I think it should be a good environment for me.

I do worry about how distracted I am lately, mostly by the impending testing. I’m still working at another job and will be 3 days a week there, and 3 at the new job for the next month or so. Both companies are owned by the same person, so I also won’t really have a full separation of one from the other as I would if they weren’t connected. In some ways is takes some pressure off, because there are less boundaries, but it also has the possibility of being a bit more chaotic than necessary.

Right now I wish I could turn the clock ahead by a month so I’d be past the diagnosis and hopefully onto some treatment, which I am desperate to start. With so much going on at the moment, I’m not feeling prepared to try to add in any new coping strategies, but it seems like now would be a good time!

Deep breath. Not feeling anxious at all, but my brain is whirring….

Probably should try to get a decent night’s sleep for a start, eh? ;-)

REPORT ABUSE

Stash
    Participant

So, was a bit late picking my boss up, and didn’t ‘do’ my hair this morning. But I did shower, and I managed to not hit anything as I weaved through traffic this morning! I call it a success so far! ;-)

Have learned that I need to set up the keys-by-the-door thing, and perhaps lay out my clothes the night before as well! That stuff really slows me down in the morning!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

8 hours sleep, exercise to keep blood to the brain, good diet – it all helps the ADD brain.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Stash
    Participant

Thanks billd!

It feels like a good environment for me – small (3 employees including me!) which means there is room to try all kinds of different things and really create the job as it moves forward.

Our first task is to start putting some systems in place to keep us all on track. So it will actually be a bit of therapy at the same time I think! Working out ways to keep schedules organized and to keep us all accountable to each other and to the plan of growing the business.

I bought a package of new socks tonight to avoid doing laundry…. Never have enough black socks!

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Hi Stash!

We are in a sorta-kinda similar boat!

I too had just started a new role in my company this week. I was officially diagnosed a week before, and was placed on meds with my first visit to a trusted dr.

I have no doubt that my attention and ability to learn is 100x better than if I had not been on the meds. I started to incoporate some organizational tactics which I have stuck to (for two days, but hey… Longer than I ever had before!) and have developed a kinder outlook of myself, which has increased my ever low confidence. i feel that the diagnosis and the acceptance helps a ton.

REPORT ABUSE

Stash
    Participant

Hi Lucky77!

Glad to hear the meds are helping you out. I must say, I’m hoping for the same! For now I’m on my own though.

Thankfully I’m in an environment where I already know everyone, both personally and professionally, so there are no surprises. One thing I’m already aware of after one day, is my propensity to say, “I can do that!” So far I haven’t over-committed myself, but it’s definitely something to watch out for.

What kind of organizational tactics are you using? Any suggestions are welcome! (and congrats on keeping them up for 2 days! I totally get the accomplishment that that is!)

Good luck with your new gig!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)