Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Still in shock

Still in shock2012-03-05T22:06:49+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I’ll try to make this short and sweet?… Work set me up with a psychologist last week due to my sick time. Answered ALL the questions honestly. After the session was said and done, I was given a verbal diagnosis of moderate ADHD. Thought he was grasping at reasons for my behaviour and was perplexed. Came home, looked at the symptoms of ADHD and was totally shocked and dumbfounded. BINGO!!!!! A light bulb went off. Still can’t believe this. I cried of relief, happiness and sadness. ADHD describes my behaviour and life to a tee. I’m 40 years old and had no idea. I always thought it was “Just me.” I’m not mad at the school system or my parents for not knowing or recognizing ADHD but I am a bummed. My life could have been so different. I am considering treatment and counselling. Anyhoo, I’m still fairly shocked.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Yep. Been there. Done that. Treatment and counseling is a good thing.

It’s been almost 7 months and I still find myself sleeping like a baby over this: waking up every couple hours and crying. I am constantly overwhelmed with the changes this new discovery has brought about in my routine (I am all about routine).

I struggle to see the good of having ADD, and I actually came up with a few things. You will too.

Yes your life could have been so different. You wouldn’t be the person you are today with out ADD. Is that such a bad thing? I will bet the whole reason you went down the path of discovery is because you want to be a better person. Bad people don’t do that.

I am sure you had PLENTY of opportunity to pull the plug on the Psych evaluation. You stuck through with it. Keep sticking it out. I hear it’s worth it.

These people here on this board? ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, GREAT, WONDERFUL peeps!!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Carabiner – You might want to respond to: http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=25&page=2

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you both for your response. You’re actually the first of two people that I’ve corresponded to that can relate. That’s a comforting feeling.

It’s been a week today that I found out and since then…wow.

Today I had a day off and as much as I have tried in the past week to curtail my disorder, my mind and actions still got the best of me today. For example, I had intentions of going to the gym and clean my house. Welp, didn’t go to the gym and the house cleaning never got done. I did go to the grocery store and geez that was an ordeal. I had more items in the cart than I had cash for. I then went to the car and dropped my carton of eggs. Drove off and got angry at the car infront of me for taking to long at the stop sign. I then honked my horn at the same vehicle for not going fast enough thru the lights at another intersection. Came home and had every intention of cooking a decent dinner. It got too late so I thru in a frozen pizza, baked it but still haven’t ate yet.

Again, this new relvelation is still very new to me. I could go on and on but don’t want to bore anyone with the details. I am interested in your experiences and kc5jck I will take a gander tothe above mentioned topic.

Once again thank you. I appreciate it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

a coach that i had told me ..often .. that going over the past was

very much like picking over a very old, ripe corpse

really not a healthy habit …. he was great at visuals

i try to remember not to .. just stick in now

sometimes it works … is hard to stay solid .. good luck

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Common behavioral changes occur with ADD are; concentration difficulty, sudden attention disorder, impulsive behavior and hyperactivity and socio-personal problems such as low self esteem and poor performance in studies.

The behavioral study of ADD in modern times describes it as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) which is a well thought-out description of the disease.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

Hey Carabiner, that’s my story too!

The descriptions fit me like a glove! The minute me and my therapist started talking about the possibility of ADD, things started to make sense to me! What amazed me even more: My signs of depression disappeared like snow to the sun!

I celebrated from that moment until long after the diagnose was confirmed! I’m still happier than ever! (almost as if I have the complementary H in ADHD now!)

A very important ADD side effect for me: I had real difficulty describing myself to others. Even in the simplest of terms!

Good luck on your journey! I hope you’ll learn to enjoy it like I have. It’s been the roughest and toughest ride of my life (that I can remember…. get it? :P) but I can finally say my life has started!!

(I’d never thought I’d say all this, being the misanthrope that I thought I was… or still am)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)