Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Stimulant Medication Shortage in your area?

Stimulant Medication Shortage in your area?2011-03-28T16:06:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Psychostimulants – General Stimulant Medication Shortage in your area?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Adrienne508

Just wondering if anyone else is being affected by a low supply of stimulant meds at your pharmacies…I am prescribed 20mg Adderall, but when I went to my usual pharmacist to fill the Rx I was told they are out of stock, no one has it, and they don’t know when they will get it!

Evidently there is a limit as to how much amphetamine salts can be manufactured annually and with so many new ADDers being diagnosed and prescribed stimulants, the supply is dwindling and pharmacies aren’t able to meet demand.

I called nearly a dozen local pharmacies before finding one that may have enough 10mg in stock, but I first I have to go back to my Dr. and have the script re-written. (I hope they will still have enough to fill my script for the month!)

Has anyone else run into this problem? I’m considering asking my Doc about non-stimulant options, but hesitant to go through the trial/error process.

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

Nope… I’m not experiencing this problem. (In Canada)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not here (NYC/NJ) either.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Adrienne508,

Yes, I had this same problem 6 weeks ago. My Doctor said that it will probably be a few months (maybe sooner) before it comes back in. In the mean time he gave me the 10mg tablets. I take 1 1/2 in the morning and four hours later I take another 15 mg’s. This Amphetamine Salts is short acting. The only problem with the 10 mg tablets is I forget quite often to take the second dose 4 hours later. Blah!

There is another type of Amphetamine Salts that is time release. I have not tried the time release; my Doctor said that it might keep me up all night. I think that the 20 mg and 30 mg tablets are the ones that are out of stock.

The 10 mg is a blue tablet and as far as I know there have been no problems with it running out. (Los Angeles)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think this article was dated app FEB 21 2011, The online article is written by a on line marketing person..(May be drug industry bias). But the points in the article makes sense if you follow the drug and medication manufacturing industry. Actually this may have to do with all global manufacturing and the privileged that control it for profit… NOT FOR THE GOOD OF HUMANITY

“Most Americans aren’t aware that there is a serious drug shortage taking place and in many situations is creating life-threatening circumstances. Most of the drug shortages are affecting hospitals where drugs are administered through injection or IV. If you are going to the pharmacy to pick up pills, you are less likely to notice the impact of this shortage. But, if you are going to the hospital for your cancer treatment, there is a chance the medication you need may not be available.

The shortage is a result of many different factors from manufacturing difficulties, natural disasters that affect production, reductions in the supply of raw materials (of which 80% come from outside the U.S.), unexpected increases in demand, voluntary recalls, manufacturer business decisions, to FDA enforcement actions to ensure public safety and artificial shortages due to stockpiling. Most of these factors, the FDA has no control over.

More specifically, the FDA has no control over prescription drug manufacturer’s business decisions. If a manufacturer decides to stop production for whatever reason, the FDA cannot demand them to begin production again. It simply may not be profitable for the manufacturer to produce the drug. However, there is legislation in the works to at least require the manufacturers to provide formal notice so that people aren’t left to find out that the medications they need are no longer available when they attempt to re-order.

Another idea that is being thrown around is incentives. Offering drug manufacturers incentives to either continue or begin manufacturing the drugs that are being affected by this shortage. In the mean time people are left the deal with either the thought of running out or using risky alternatives (if any are even available). So, while there is hope for the drug shortage, it isn’t likely that there will be a solution very quickly”.

Amanda Williams – http://www.PEPID.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Amanda_C_Williams

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5899192

REPORT ABUSE

Adrienne508

Thanks for the replies! I was able to get 20mg today! By the way, I’m in Southeast MA..

Redhead44 – I’m glad you were able to get the 10mg :-) I haven’t tried the extended release variety either – I wonder if that is any better, especially if remembering to take the second dose is a problem. I find that my 20mg in the morning only lasts about 4 – 6 hours; is it better for you taking 2 doses AM and PM?

njadd – thank you for sharing this article. It really does always come down to profits for someone some where, doesn’t it?!? I’ve heard other stories like this in medical research where scientists/doctors delay releasing new findings that can help people NOW, but instead wait to negotiate, or until the market is more suitable, etc, etc. I hate to think that’s how it goes, but $ makes the world go ’round I suppose (hey, that rhymes!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quite welcome Adrienne,

IN NJ we are the pharma capital of the world in this state… Before injury I would meet a ton of Pharma reps. Because of economy and poss health care initiatives they are all shaking in the boots. Personally Meds are going to be if not already the next oil crisis in the USA and just like always the privaliged wont feel a thing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think NJ ever runs short of anything! LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Especially corruption lol

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

feeling the shortage big time in West Michigan and Chicago

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)