Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Stopping 'trying harder' and some negative effects.

Stopping 'trying harder' and some negative effects.2011-08-25T12:05:03+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Inattention/Distractibility/Focus Stopping 'trying harder' and some negative effects.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

I was speaking to some people about this but can’t find my previous posts so sorry for the new thread.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been enjoying the freedom and relief of letting go of the anxiety that has kept me more focused and helped me cope, but which has brought with it significant strain. As soon as I knew what I was doing I was able to let it go and it’s been life changing.

However, I’m much more distractable and, although I welcome this in some ways (stopping to look at the shiny) I’ve made 2 significant mistakes in the last week – once when I walked in front of a car and once driving out of a junction when there was a car coming. These are mistakes I’m glad to say I don’t make usually. I really can’t remember a time a car has beeped at me since I was a teenager (when I used to do this sort of thing a lot.)

How do I find a balance here? I don’t want to go back to the hyper stressed, anxious, miserable old me, but I don’t want to get knocked down or, worse, cause an accident that hurts someone else.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My tendency is to be very fast, to try to get somewhere in a hurry, so for me, the solution is to deliberately slow down, realize that there could be other ADDers out there like me, and to give more time and space between me and other cars, to be slower coming out of a corner, etc. And to allow much more time to get where I’m going.

Also avoiding rush hour traffic is a biggie for me, I’ll take a more rural route to avoid that kind of stress.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks. I’m a careful driver but this is a mistake I don’t want to repeat. It’s not just driving or walking though. Today I set fire to the grease proof paper I was using on the dinner! I just seem ‘worse’ than normal.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)