Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Strattera?

Strattera?2010-01-20T20:13:49+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Strattera Strattera?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J.

I wanted to better understand if these side effects you mentioned like bladder retention and ED will go away over time or if these side effects will be permanent as long as I take Strattera. I have been told by my GP that the benefits may take time but he was unclear as to what to expect in terms of these miserable side effects. I have been asked to continue with Strattera for a couple of months but I was hoping to hear these side effects would go away over time as my body adapts to the meds – any insights would be greatly appreciated.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J,

Thank you for mentioning that you can take Stimulants and Strattera together. I have been on med’s for a year now and I started on Dexedrine. It worked great and I could really focus on things. The only bad was that there was definitely an edge of implusivity. My doctor also perscribed Strattera, and that took care of the implusitivity. I have had continued side effects of the Strattera, including bladder retention issues, erectile dysfunction and pre-mature ejaculation. This has been going on since I started taking the Strattera.

I have done a lot of reading about the generic Dexedrine Tablets from Teva and many of those who take them, myself included, sense that they changed the formula somewhat. I know that by law, that they have to have a certain amount of the active ingrediant, but they don’t have to have the same inactive ingrediants, hence the difference from the brand name. The overall opinion is the the generics seem “dirty” or they just don’t work as well as they once did in the past. I brought this up to my doctor and requested to try the GSK brand name spanules. So instead of taking, 2 x 5 mg tablets 3 x per day, I now take 1 one 10 mg spanule 2 x per day. I’m only a few days into taking the brand name spanules, but WOW, I can tell a big difference. I am trying them without the Strattera and so far the implusivity edge that I had with the generic tablets is not there.

Dr. J, can you tell us what your experience has been with your patients and to the differences between the generic and brand name medications?

Thank you in advance.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

I currently take 10 mill of adderalonce daily – sometimes every other day and it works great. My only concern is that it tends to elevate my blood pressure – I am 45 male – > I was considering alternatives thnat woulkd work that don’t have adverse effects on B P. I treid welbutrin ata low dose for 10 days and it did not work wel – made me feel nervous, anxiius, foggy, jumpy and agressive.

My doctor suggested stratera – but honestly – being AD and impatient – I don’t kniw if I want to suffer through side effects for a couple of months to see if it works – as I have something that works great – Adderal- but am just concerned about B P.

Any general suggestions – should I stick with what works – Adderal – even though I have B P concerns – or try Stratera?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all. i started medication about two years ago. They have me on Adderall, fluoxetine, Strattera. Side effects for the most part are not there but I seemed to have a bout with dizziness when I first started Strattera. From what I understand some can get dizzy from it and some don’t. Well I did but i have to tell you, when they took me off of it, I noticed the difference in a short time. Remember I went 47 years with out medications and then when i started taking them I noticed how much they helped. So for now I’m going to start taken the Strattera again up to a dose of 80 mg. ( sorry, no time to retype it out again) I copied this statement from my first time posting in the side effects thread. LOL.. Be right back I need more Cake. Been craving chocolate so much as of late. LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

All the meds will effect the heart BAM123. If U have prior risk factors, check with your doctor or cardiologist. Regarding taking time……lifestyle changes will take time. Don’t look for instant cures. Look for long term repair of a life of misperceptions.

Hope the cake was good.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Walter Mitty

I started taking Strattera about 6 weeks ago starting at 10 mg daily and working up. After 2 weeks at 60 mg, I noticed something different with me, but couldn’t put a finger on it. My Doc then moved me to 80mg and after 4 days at this level the change was instant. I woke up after an 8 hour sleep, did my regular routine, (get dressed, breakfast, coffee, work) and as soon as I got to work it was like I was hit by a lightning bolt. My head was focused on work. I knew what I was going to be doing in 10 minutes. I could walk across the shop and know why I was there when I got there. Physically, I feel like I have consumed a number of pots of coffee but without the jitters. The energy and determination to do stuff is there. Since this time, I’ve noticed that I wake up when the alarm goes off. (No more hitting the snooze button). Talking to people I don’t know on the phone is less draining. I used to wake up from a sound sleep, and my mind would race for an hour or so thinking about bills that I couldn’t pay. Gone. The only “bad” side affect so far are when I urinate it feels as though I have some urine left inside (there isn’t) and I’m loosing some weight (I eat the same, but my pants are getting bigger:).

The best way I know to sum it all up: That fire that my many past employers have been trying to light under my @55 has been lit!

REPORT ABUSE

Darlingcek

I am on 40mg Prozac and 40mg Strattera. What say, Dr. J? A bad combo of meds? I’ve not been diagnosed yet. My GP and psychiatrist are suspicious of ADD and/or bi-polar and/or brain injury. The GP started me on the Prozac earlier this year after an accident, and the psychiatrist introduced the Straterra.

I’m still not able to stay on task as well as I wish I could. But my rage has disappeared. And my drinking is down. However, I think the Straterra is causing me to bite the insides of my cheeks and the sides of my tongue. As well, I believe it is allowing me to act out my dreams (at least with my hands and feet). I have a second session with the psychiatrist at the end of the month.

Side effects I’ve noticed about Strattera – besides the diminished sleep paralysis and involuntary self-cannibalism – are very dry mouth, upset digestive system, and burning in my lower esophagus. I’m trying to quell the latter with famotidine tablets and half a dozen Tums with calcium, something my body needs anyway… to no avail. I’m fearful it might affect my vocal chords and I’m just now starting rehearsals for a part in a musical.

Regarding aliens, I don’t fear them. Rather, I used to fear for the inalienable rights being trampled upon by the U.S. Federal Government. But, now with the meds, I can reason that I can always flee to Canada.

By the way, neither of the meds has done anything to allay the anxiety I feel when I see misspelled words such as, say, the word “seperated” which I see below this Reply posting box.

Written tongue-still-in-cheek. Hopefully.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been diagnosed with major depression, bi-polar rapid, and ADD, not much HD but maybe the bi-polar mania boughts are really adHd? About 5-6 years ago I started getting treated for moderate hypertension. I am now on Cardivelol, and Micardis/HCT. My BP is really well controlled – heck I measure out like a marathon runner now! So, here’s my problem…

My ADD symptoms are out of control. Inablility to maintain attention with anxiety and a strong futile hopelessness in a strong but general way (making sense….?). A few years back I was scribed Strattera and Wellbutrin. This combo worked really well. I found I was feeling well, and I could really focus at work and concentrate. My boss even noticed that. This I know by his recent exclaimations to me that I used to be so great at “x” or “y”, what has happened. Of course I can’t tell or say because my low self esteem and defeatist attitude simply says — YOU ARE SO RIGHT… sucks.

So — I digress. After being on the combo of Strattera and wellbutrin for many months, I had a small siezure at work. I work in a large plant, and during a ride back to the office in a cart, I thought my boss was rudely poking me in the face. I was having what the neurologist called “alien hand syndrome”… ;-) NO REALLY. Has nothing to do with aliens, just that you think someone else’s hand is slapping you up… SO – my BP shot up, I nearly fainted, I couldn’t hear people talking to me, yet the “alien” part was saying things while I was saying other things. Tunnel visioin and a ride in an ambulance later, cat scan, eeg, NOTHING. NO TIA event, nada. All well again.

SO — my dilema is can I ever take a medication to rid me of or level me to the “playing field” as RG talks about (LOVE THE VIDS RICK). I am so distracted and scattered.. I have to, must do something. Dr. J if you chime in it is appreciated, but with this long story I see how the ADD/HD diagnoses is very very hard.

I just want to get back to my life.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK – this thread needs some freshening… me – I knew I was ADD somehow, but recent events and the show proved it to me.

So – I started adderal today. ER/XR in the morning and a fast acting if needed afternoon. I’m not going with Staterra because of the issues I mentioned 2 days ago. I hope I don’t have any kind of seizure with Adderal, but I am on the lowest dose I think.

Any words of encouragement will be eaten up!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OMG – I posted the last two times…. I’ll stop that now so someone chimme in!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey all, sorry to jump on my own line here, but in college I tried Strattera and it was horrible for me. Idk if it exists, but I’m more of a lethargic ADDer (its why my parents never got me tested till college, thought I was just lazy) and I found that Strattera might be better for someone a bit more hyperactive so I ceased use. I’ve been reading through and there are so many medication names thrown out on these forums. I have anxiety and get more easily depressed, but those are more of high lows with the mood swings and stuff. Does anyone have any suggestion for medication? I am so sick and tired of not being what I know I can be at work and in life, and I feel bad for getting upset at my boyfriend for the littlest things. Its so easy to try to stop yourself and breathe and remind yourself whats causing this, but I’m ready to take the next step. TIRED OF LIVING LIKE THIS! haha thanks guys!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No apologies! When I was on Straterra, I actually did find some good focus and improvement. But — for me it was the wellbutrin/straterra combo that set off something wierd in my head, hence the hemispherical siezure (that’s one thing they called it). There are a bunch of different meds, but it seems that they are grouped into 3 catagorys. Please do your own research cause I ain’t no doctor. But — aren’t they amphetamines (basic), Methylphenidate (concerta) and straterra? As for what I can read about the conccerta is simply a precursor to amphetamines and a formulation that makes it “unabusable”, having to pass through your GI tract before becoming amphetamines in your blood stream, hence if you inject or snort it nothing happens. Unlike adderal and ritalin which can be abused. Straterra well, it’s unique? So – what good did that do other than blog on your question? Probably nuttin. BUT — and the big point is your last comment. TIRED OF LIVING LIKE THIS!? Yes – – you realize you hit the sweet spot with that question! I’m on my 2nd day of Adderal, and it’s a little heady. I slept like crap last night waking up every hour like clock work and night sweats.. (sorry, yuk). However I feel like I am in control and had a few good lucid moments, concentration better, didn’t feel the need to step on conversations. I am also in consultation with a behavior conselor to get a handle on it. Try everything but hang in there!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin XR for awhile now and started last week taking Strattera. I just moved up to 40 mg. It has only been a week but I already feel a slight concentration change. Not major. I have developed some insomnia where I can go to sleep for a couple hours. 2 or 3. Then I wake up and I can’t go back to sleep. Also dealing with the ED.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have taken straterra for a few years, off and on, I was on it for one year and went off to get pregnant; which i did not a big difference. When i was breast feeding I went on Ridalin (generic) becasue of the way it connects to the milk its safer- but it didnt work as well as straterra. I got back on straterra like 8 months ago and its been good, when im on it I sometimes think “I dont need meds” but if I miss it one day I can then tell that I need it. I’ve also started to do Yoga and its helped as well. Im into natural cures and help so someday I hope to be off meds altogether but for now I want to maintain focus at work and with my relationships.I never seem to see alot of post about moms and add so I wanted to just talk a little about it. Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed with ADD a couple months ago and my doctor started me on straterra. I hated it. True my focus did improve, however i would get motion sickness from reading. Also, if i didnt eat enough in the morning (who has time?) I’d get nauseous and sick. Im a university student and although my grades went up, I couldnt handle the side effects.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)