Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Stressful cooking for party

Stressful cooking for party2012-07-04T20:00:04+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Venting! Stressful cooking for party

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

laddybug3

First off: Happy Fourth of July.

Okay venting time.

So I’m going to a Fourth of July party. Yes, you heard right a party. The only problem is cooking. Don’t get me wrong; I love to cook. However, the host added a last minute request. I am known for my chocolate making skills. She wants chocolate!

Chocolate making is fast and slow. What I mean by that is you have to measure out everything, because if you don’t chocolate molecules break and you really don’t want that. Once the molecules break apart it is over all over. You could try to add more, butter, or heavy cream but that won’t, because of the molecules.

Sorry got a little side track.

The milk, cream, whatever you use before the chocolate needs to be at a running boil. That is when you remove it from heat and add the chocolate.

Slow is that you have to let the chocolate refrigerate for hours. Yes, it is true. So last minute request disrupts my chocolate making Mojo.

So the party is at four and the fudge should be done at five. You see my problem. Fudge is making me late. Normally, I get ready in halves. So the party starts at four and I get ready to leave at 3:30. It is perfect for last minutes, “Oh, no” and you are normally early. I mean really early like twenty minutes early. Also take in traffic too. That way I am always early. So far it is a win system unless someone asks when the event is and you tell two hours to a half an hour early for the event. People hate being too early and people hate when you are too late. You never win! Oh and when I am late the whole world falls apart because I’m punctual. Even when people are late my friends tend to give them slack but me it is whipped into my face. Maybe it is just me, or maybe it is the truth.

So I called the host and explained the problem. She went off on me. Stating that I should have thought of this before I decided to make Chocolate. In case she doesn’t realize that chocolate needs to sit for normally two hours or more. It is not my fault. Not my fault! Stupid molecules. She also knows about my ADD and then complained that I should have thought of that before I went to get it done. Not my Fault! I know it will be finished at five because of the firmness of the chocolate. Maybe I should have gone to a chocolate shop and got some chocolate from there.

Wow! I feel better. This is better then talking to someone or thinking about doing bad things.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

Just checked on the fudge and it should be ready at four to cut into little squares. Hope they will last the ride.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

No, it didn’t turned out and I found out why she acted the way she did. There is a little girl with ADHD and stated that I always came on time. So the little girl opens the door and said: You have ADHD too.

I met her before but didn’t realize she had such problems because I wasn’t looking for signs. But when she said that statement the light in my head went off and I felt horrible for coming late and bringing ice cream. It was cool though. We talked, played basketball, and talked about our struggles.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I’ve cooked in restaurants tons, and deserts in particular are very difficult. I can very much relate to your grief over the chocolate not working out. I think for ADDers, when “stuff just doesn’t work” for whatever reason, it’s pain pain and more pain. Possibly because I haven’t let go of being angry with me about past failures. Being passionate about making chocolate conform to your will is indeed a fine art/pleasure, not wrong.

The host wanted to show the young girl how an ADHD person can be a success!, and give her hope?, not delivering something that meaningful sounds very painful. Instead maybe you were able to show her how you’ve learned to cope with things not always working due to the ADHD Murphy’s law connection. In the bigger picture. Your host friend may have learned a lesson…

Overall it sounds like you did good because you had fun playing basketball n relating to a fellow ADDer. I bet she will see you learning more coping skills and pick some up from you. So maybe it’s a good thing for her to see you really take a slug in the gut from ADHD. Cuz she’ll really know you as the one person who understands when she gets slugged in the gut by ADD. You might be the one person she can reach out to in the future. That’s super cool, huh?.

Regardless of the expectations of your friend, who could be a little more accommodating about your ADHD, things worked out well. You had fun!.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I hear you about the chocolate thing. In my family, I do the cooking, and they all know I am going to be starting a company that buys and sells candy-making supplies and equipment. I will also be selling my own candies.

So of course everyone wants to participate in “product evaluation”. I love to cook and make stuff for people, so it’s very hard to say no.

I hear you about how it can disrupt your “order”. “No” is a very nice word. It restores order in my life, when I get special requests and the like. I am trying to figure out how to use it effectively.

Good Luck, laddybug

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

Thanks Robbo and shutterbug55. This morning I threw away the fudge and my brother went looking for it. I remade fudge today and so far it is looking good.

Fudge is delicate.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)