Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Struggles as a DSP with ADHD

Struggles as a DSP with ADHD2015-12-21T01:58:22+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Struggles as a DSP with ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

kaylee31

I am a direct support professional (DSP). I work at a small group home with three women who have moderate to severe developmental disabilities. I struggle with clearly and simply communicating with the clients, which is very hard for one of the ladies to deal with. When I need to keep a client on task, I sometimes get off task of keeping her on task. With another client, when she argues with me, I need to do better at ignoring her after firmly saying she needs to take a break and calm down. Instead, I impulsively react, which keeps her going even more. I also struggle with leaving work on time. I am actually having a meeting with two managers about my ADHD and other issues relating to ADA laws. This will be my second meeting about this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

Some thoughts:

What about using visual schedules with clients for some of the more mundane tasks? Eg. doing the dishes – a set of pictures and word prompts that break the task down into steps. It would be good for them and for you – something visual to help them fo the task more independently, and to help you pull your attention back to the task.

Similarly, is there a behaviour plan in place for dealing with the client that argues? If you have a protocol or script to follow, that can be far more effective than simply being told to ignore the arguing. Put it on cheat sheets for yourself if you want a quick reference.

If you are going to work on how your ADHD impacts your work and what accommodations will help, don’t try to “fix” everything at once – just analyse a couple key issues and work on strategies to help with those issues. I am not familiar with ADA law and the workplace, but what about asking for regular check-in meetings to evaluate how the accommodations are working and to set new goals as needed or problem-solve issues?

And – don’t forget to celebrate the good qualities you bring to your clients too. You didn’t mention them in your list, but I imagine you are caring, imaginative and flexible to respond to the interests and needs of your clients, to mention a few ADHD positives 🙂

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)