Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Struggling with Motivation in the Morning

Struggling with Motivation in the Morning2012-10-04T16:46:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Motivation/Staying on Track Struggling with Motivation in the Morning

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

nellie

TexasDocI27,

i also take Vyvanse. It definitely takes a while to kick in. I’m not a morning person either so try to arrange my day around my energy level. So I don’t plan anything that requires loads of concentration early in the day. My peak energy/motivation in between 10 and 2 so I take that into account.

I also work from home so know the motivation to start tasks sometimes ( well ok most times!) is something one has to really force to surface. But if you try to do easy stuff during the times when you are on the sluggish side and save the big important stuff for the good part of the day you might feel more productive. I figure if I have done one “Big” thing for the day I’m good. Sort of like your think do strategy, when I’m feeling like I’m spinning in circles, I try to ask myself “what one thing can I get done that will make the day feel like it has been a success?”

Oh and Amy – CONGRATS on your VIdeo placing in the top 5!!!!! Way to go!!!!! Still waiting for your calendar btw :-)

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yes, please forgive my silly clowning around Doc. I’m feeling a bit more circumspect right now….I’ve got a bollocking coming my way and I’m not particularly looking forward to it…*gulp*…in answer to your question I haven’t had your medication to be able to proffer an opinion, thus I’ll politely take my leave and apologise again as the door slams closed behind me…

Oh yeah, I don’t even have a goldfish. I’ve never had a goldfish as it happens….um, does an imaginary goldfish count? *runs away again*

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

Thanks nellie! I didn’t win overall, but frankly I’m just happy that I even completed it! The calendar is on my To Do list. ;)

Amy

http://acatwithadhd.com

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Well AMy for what it’s worth I thought yours was the best one :-) if I had remembered to sign into the thing before the voting was over I would have voted for you :)

And I’m gonna bug you to finish that calendar! Go to Lulu.com – it’s really quick and easy! You can sell it online right from their site . And now you are an award winning cartoonist !! ( Well maybe you were already but anyway….) So go for it :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Put me down for one of those calenders Amy, I’ll look foreword to it..

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Amy – I voted for you…. and put me down for a calendar too please. I thought your vid was excellent.

Of course congratulations to the winner and to everyone that actually got it together enough to enter! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

MK-

Maybe 15 minutes on the timer is too long?

I’ve taken to using commercial breaks as my timer. Clear begginning, clear end. No reason not to get up and do something, as you’re just waiting for the show to come back on. Those 2 minutes add up.

And when you are really lucky, you get in such a groove you go well past the 2 minutes because you get so obsessed with a task you can’t stop.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for all the great and entertaining replies! Sorry it took so long to reply, but I forgot my login info and was too azy to retrieve it!

The Vyvanse was keeping me up til about 2am and I didn’t really notice anything except being a great diet pill. So, the doctor switched me less than a week ago to 20mg Adderall IR (Barr generic) that I take in the mornings. I honestly feel like I’m taking a sugar pill since it does nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with adderall and what doses would be right for me? I’m about 6′ tall and weigh roughly 195lbs. Maybe I’m just confused about the effects of medication, where I’m looking for a motivation/get me going type effect where in reality it might just allow all of the crazy creative thoughts to subside so I can focus.

Thanks for your help!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a little experience with it, my Dr. started me on 40 mg of Adderall. I’m roughly 5’3 150 lbs. Now this was WAY too much for me, but I need a childs dose of the stimulants basically. I definitely wouldn’t describe it as a sugar pill, made me nucking futs. But I guess what I’m saying is ask for a higher dose! Don’t give up, I been asking around, takes quite awhile for most to get their meds right, I’m still struggling with it all myself. Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Um, this could be a silly question, but here goes anyway, if you’re a Doc, why are you asking about the effects of meds? I thought that all who swore the Hippocratic Oath had access to all of the answers to all of the mysteries that touch us mere mortals! :D What does a doctor do if he/she feels unwell? Does one do a self-examination? Do you have a favoured doctor? It’d be too yukky being a doctor for mine with all of the unpleasant things that one wouyld have to see…I was just picturing a big fat flatulent fella waddling in and plonking himself down upon a rickety chair to hit you with ‘Doc, there’s something wrong with my butt…’ *shudder* would you just reach over to the bin and puke? Suddenly excuse yourself for a moment and then run to your car? Feign cardiac arrest? Faint? Or, say no worries big fella, get that bloody mainsail off you, drop yer britches, and give us a gander at that big butt of yours? 😆

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

TexasDoc27 – My son is 6′ 4″ and about 195. He takes 20mg Adderall which is lasting him about 4 hours. I think it used to last longer, but not now. We are thinking about increasing the doasge, or taking a booster dose later in the day.

I’m 5′ 9″ and 175. I don’t notice much difference with 20mg Adderall.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Texas –

I take 20mg of Adderall XR each morning and a booster of 10mg Ritalin IR as needed in the afternoon if I need it. I think effects from the dosages and medicines can be subjective just like one antidepressant can work for someone and not work for another. Medically speaking, a starting dose of adderall is usually 0.3mg/kg, so in your case that would be about a 27mg dose (so maybe take 25-30mg), but I don’t think many clinicians go by the dosage formula, it’s usually just start on the lower end and work your way up to see if it helps.

I thought when I started my medication I was going to be able to conquer the world! Sadly… I still could not even conquer the mess in the mud room. My medication does not give me motivation, energy, or super powers 😥 What a let down. BUT, it does help me organize some of my thoughts and occasionally follow through on them :-)

Sometimes when I’m tired, my friends are like ‘Oh, you must have forgotten to take your medicine today! Why don’t you take a ritalin!’ I think they don’t understand that it’s not like drinking a double espresso (I wish), all it does for me is organize and focus the energy that’s already there.

The good thing about the stimulant medications is that they are quick to start working and quick to leave your system if you quit taking them or reduce your dose. I think a lot of people have to experiment at first to find the right medication/dosage.

Good luck and welcome to the club!! I think we’ve got some milk and cookies for the newbies around here.. somewhere.. now where did I set that tray down..?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)