Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Study finds new ADHD genes

Study finds new ADHD genes2011-08-10T20:02:53+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? The Neurology Study finds new ADHD genes

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bill

New research led by The Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto has identified more genes in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and shows that there is an overlap between some of these genes and those found in other neuropsychiatric conditions such as autism spectrum disorder. The study is published in the August 10 advance online edition of Science Translational Medicine.

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/advancement/Scherer+new+ADHD+genes+Aug+10+2011.pdf

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

interesting! thanks for sharing =)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great! Now I just wish I knew what it said!

REPORT ABUSE

caper

Sounds interesting, but the release doesn’t have any details of new genes involved in ADHD. The release focuses on the CNVs; 19 inherited CNVs out of 248 is only 7.7%. I’ll see if I can find the full report somewhere.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Yeah, if someone can decipher for us non scientific types that would be great LOL!

Gameguy – Me too! I knew when I read it there was some interpretational issue to it but had no idea what! So I was at a doctor’s office ( not the one I see for ADD meds) yesterday and was trying to tell him about the article because we were discussing the hereditary aspects – he asked me some specific question and I had to say I have no clue what it said exactly about this new research- it’s something about it being genetic . Not my most intelligent comment ever :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Translational medicine. If only! But that’s exactly what we need—a journal that translates “medicalese” into English. In fact, I think there’s money to be made there—a website that picks some of the more compelling scholarly articles that appear in medical (and other professional) journals and translates them into English for the general literate public.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

And hey, you guys from Toronto, why would you call a children’s hospital “The Hospital for Sick Children?” Isn’t that a tautology? I mean, if a kid weren’t sick, why would s/he be in a hospital?

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

Would a Hospital for Children or Children’s Hospital be better? Wouldn’t it imply that it is place for all children and not just the sick ones? Greater specificity this way. I do prefer Peadiatric Hospital myself though.

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Seems funny to me. After all, they don’t call other hospitals “The Hospital for Sick People.” :)

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

One possible reason for the name is the older definition of the word hospital: “British . an institution supported by charity or taxes for the care of the needy, as an orphanage or old people’s home.” Note that there was an earlier hospital by the same name in London, England.

The name “SickKids” and “The Hospital for Sick Children” are now so famous locally and internationally that I don’t think anyone would dare change them.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Anyway, I’m glad the researchers found the ADD genes. Leave it to ADDers to have lost them in the first place…

REPORT ABUSE

Bill
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)