Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Support Groups – How Do I Re-activate My Local Support Group?

Support Groups – How Do I Re-activate My Local Support Group?2011-11-29T10:18:51+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Support Groups – How Do I Re-activate My Local Support Group?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all,

I’m recently diagnosed with ADHD and found out about a support group online in my area. Do you access a ADHD support group in your area? Has yours gone inactive? Any suggestions how to reactivate without becoming wrapped up and lost in the “organizational” mire?

Mine is not a super metro area, but its very well populated metro area. The support group has a password protected online presence, the forum archives shows it was really active a few years back with online discussions and live meetings once or twice month. Although the group shows several hundred members, posted activity shows that meetings haven’t occured in almost 6 months. Online discussion has come to a dead stop except for a few that have attended an ADD conference recently.

Between 3-4 online ADHD forums, I am getting some of my questions answered. But now I’m considering starting medications, I am hesitant of alot of online discussion. I am using an alias user name like most of us, but am aware of the vulnerability of the web in regards to posting potentially personal and confidential information. I would REALLY like to participate in a live support group, but not sure how to get my local group active without becoming too involved. Becoming too involved in organizations is one of my ADHD past issues. I came to the point where I just had to start saying NO after too much asked of me because I always said yes. I don’t have the time to immerse myself in re-energizing a group SO I can get help from it. But I know I would benefit from sharing my questions and being empathetic to others experiences.

I would not have a problem emailing some therapy / counseling practices if this is something that would help get the word out to my metro area. I understand sometimes therapists may hold group sessions at a “discount” to patients as often the group ends up directing and controlling activity of the therapy group with varying assistance from the therapist.

I’m rambling, but I hope I got my point across. thanks guys.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe the group is inactive because nobody else wanted to get too involved.

I hear you about being too involved – it’s also a pattern of mine. I want to help, and I end up helping way too much, taking it way too seriously, and ignoring everything else. Right now I don’t have time to go to meetings. So I’m learning to say no to stuff like that. There’s still an inner urge that wants to rise up but I’ve told my husband to kill me if I ever go there again.

I have found this forum really helpful.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Experience tells me face to face is best for a support group. Electronic talk is ok but…….so much is missed from the personal face to face.

As for getting a group started ….there is possibly an ADD Association or Group in your area that would be more than pleased to assist you in setting up a face to face group…….I would check out the Web. Once organized with location, times, frequency and group rules…..they tend to run themselves….

Also if I may…….to benefit from a group experience, I didn’t use an ADD group. Just a group environment and it was the sharing that was most important for me. I found the group’s sharing criteria and their rules of conduct more critical than why they were there. Sharing is sharing….and sharing in itself it can be a huge healing.

Maybe important to consider is, safe environment, confidentiality, if the group is specific (ie. divorce) or just an issues group, regular meetings, that kind of thing.

Just some thoughts…..

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Face to face group experience has been life changing for me. Well… I’ll admit, it was AA! I did it for years until I moved, but I haven’t found another group I liked in my new town. I feel like dealing with alcohol was just a small part of what that group did for me – they supported me to be positive and accountable in my life. I learned social skills in a safe environment full of adults trying to learn skills they missed out on during their teens and childhoods in disfunctional families. They appreciated me and loved me with all my quirks and awkwardness. The experience of helping others was also very empowering. And it was free.

Also – if you don’t “click” with the first group you try out, don’t give up, keep trying different groups. It’s worth the trouble because it is possible to truly find a second family, and it can be a game changer for you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good points! Actually I do meet with other clients of my therapist/meditation teacher every two weeks in a group setting, and although sharing is not the purpose, at times we are asked to share about our experiences in practice, and sometimes it goes a bit beyond that, because one or another of us will have similar issues that come up, and hearing about someone’s issue is extremely helpful. Am definitely in favour of one-on-one having had this experience with my therapist/teacher.

So I’m not about internet-only, just well aware of the pitfalls – for me – of being part of the organizing or maintenance of a group.

I agree, munchkin, it doesn’t have to be an ADHD group (very possible there will be ADDers anyway), toofat, good criteria for choosing a group. Something to think about, thanks.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)