Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Switched from Concerta to Vyvanse

Switched from Concerta to Vyvanse2014-09-03T12:09:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Switched from Concerta to Vyvanse

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Procrastina-Tron

So I’ve been on ADHD medication for only a few short months now, coupled with Wellbutrin for depression.

I started on Concerta and after progressing from 36 to 54mg, I have noticed absolutely no effect, positive or negative whatsoever, until last week, when I found myself forgetting absolutely everything. I’d leave my keys on the hook while I took the dog out and effectively locked myself out of the condo (fortunately we have a concierge) but my wife left early one day and locked me out entirely because I forgot my keys. Then I started leaving things around (I had an open bottle of Witch Hazel, cotton swabs on one table, the bottle open on another and the cap somewhere else) I was becoming more and more absent minded – I’m 30.

So yesterday I was taken off Concerta and put on Vyvanse. My main complaint to my psychiatrist was simply “I still do not fully understand ADHD, it seems arbitrary – maybe I’m just forgetful, maybe I have passive aggressive tendencies, perhaps I’m just self absorbed and these medications won’t help me at all, maybe I don’t have ADD, maybe I just procrastinate and avoid work, etc”.

Anyways… does anyone have any experience with switching medications early on… did things get any better? Have you concluded that you do in fact suffer from ADHD or are you still uncertain?? Is there any way to overcome the uncertainty and focusing on actually getting things (LIFE IN GENERAL) done?

REPORT ABUSE

friendlymathematician

Once upon a time in elementary school, my psychologist changed me from Ritalin to some other drug. Not sure what happened, but I woke up cognitively a day or two later. Apparently while I was out on that drug. I forgot everything, payed attention to nothing, did bizarre things, looked strung out of my mind, and couldn’t remember my name. My mother even had to get my coat from the bus driver because I somehow forgot it on a cool bus on a cool day. It was a very special day that I will never remember.

Switching medications always has inherent risks and trade offs. For example, when I switched from Adderall to Vyvanse, I had the improved benefit of not having to worry about if I’ll remember my evening dose since Vyvanse is effective much longer than Adderall. Unfortunately, if I don’t take it within an hour of when I wake up, it seems to make it more difficult for me to sleep. I do need to start recording my day in order to accept or reject the hypothesis if Vyvanse is the cause or if it’s something else.

If I’m ADHD or not, I’m certain that I am ADHD. Unlike some, I don’t call it a diagnosis and I don’t consider myself to be suffering from it.

When I figure out tactics on getting things in life done, I’ll get back to you on it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)