Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Taking a combination of medication now

Taking a combination of medication now2010-04-15T03:46:45+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Taking a combination of medication now

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am now on Strattera and Vyvanse now. steadily increasing my does of Strattera to 200mgs and will remain on the new addition Vyvanse aswell.

Strattera has helped a bit with my mood swings and a little with concentration. Everytime my dose increases I get moody again but it goes away. I am now at 160mgs of Strattera to be done the increase at 200mgs.

I was told my ADD is a bit harder to treat but still treatable. So far I have seen a slow steady improvement but not an amazing one. lol. Then recently it was suggested I combine it with Adderall or Vyvanse.

Adderall was not right for me because it gave me too much of a high feeling euphoric feeling and then a very nasty low.

Vyvanse works very well … a little too well. It gave me amazing focus and a compulsion to keep doing a task until I finished it. The only problem is I was up for 2 days everytime I take it.

I was told I can take it sparingly on days when I really need it and not to take it on days I don’t need to be as focused. It did give me a tiny bit of irritability but it was easy to manage.

I wanted to know if there are any others out there finding it really hard to treat their ADD/ADHD and if many others take a combination of medication.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Hi Manny,

I was diagnosed ADD about 4 months ago. My primary prescribed adderal. It helped me stay focussed and did make a difference, but it raised my blood pressure and just seemd to harsh.

I switched to a 10 milligram extended release and that seem to do the trick. As a mattr of fact I got to the pont where I only feel I need it 3 to 5 days a week. It is much more gentle and keeps me on track. I’m highly functional with I gues moderate ADD symptoms – but sometimes it really messes up my forward progress.

My danger zone is at night between 6:00 and 11:00 at night . I get wired, antsey and restless. More often than not this leads either eating food that is not good for me or a couple of drinks to calm me down.

After a month or so on this the Phych I have seen has suggested adding 100 mill of welbutrin twice per day. I am just strating this combo and not sure how it will work. Wondering if anyone else is on a similar combo of meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’m taking 25 mg of Seroquel (Quetiapine) to wind me down at night. I started taking it 3 years ago, when I had a hypomanic episode. I’ve been taking Effexor XR for depression for 12 years, but I’m weaning off that. And I started on 10 mg of Ritalin once a day, about a month ago.

That small dose of Seroquel a couple of hours before bedtime, winds me down and helps me quickly fall asleep and sleep deeply. It doesn’t cause bad interactions with my other medications, with the exception of raiding my blood sugar a bit. (I developed Type 2 diabetes, partly as a result of genetics & bad diet, and partly because ALL medications for mental conditions raise the blood sugar.) I have to carefully schedule when I take it, because it takes about 12 hours for all of the drowsiness to work its way out of my system. So If I need to be awake and functioning for 9 a.m., I need to take my Seroquel by 9:00 the night before.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

UPDATE.

So I guess this ADD I have is going to be a tough ride lol, but step by step things will get better. Stratterra does help a bit as mentioned and so does Vyvanse.

I was given Immovane for sleeping but Immovane is habit forming and I had to keep increasing the doses as my body go more tolerant.

Still sleepless.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Ask your doctor about the Seroquel. It’s not habit-forming (at least, not to me, on the very small dose of 25 mg, an hour or so before bedtime). I don’t know about any interactions with the other medications you’re taking, so be sure to ask your doctor about this.

I’ve found the Seroquel to be very effective at winding me down and helping me get to sleep very quickly, even if I’ve taken a Ritalin late in the afternoon. And if I wake up to do what one generally does during the appropriately named “wee” hours, I can fall right back to sleep within 10 minutes.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)