Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

taking first plane trip in years…. adderall carry-on?

taking first plane trip in years…. adderall carry-on?2012-01-13T14:46:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR taking first plane trip in years…. adderall carry-on?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

billd

I’ve not flown since February 2000. That’s of course “pre-911”

Also, last time I flew I was on no medications for anything at all……. now I’m on one for Meniere’s and adderall xr generic (amphetamine salts) for ADHD.

Will I get any flack, or funny looks or have to pee into a cup or anything?

Will they let me take it in my carry-on bag? I don’t plan on having enough stuff with me to check any baggage, short stay, can cram it all into a carry-on I think.

Maybe weird questions and crazy to even ask, but, well…… I am wondering!

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

I’ve never had a problem. It only makes sense to carry on all medications—in the UNFORTUNATE event you get separated from your luggage. I think security people understand that. As long as drug-sniffing dogs don’t take an interest in your prescriptions, you should be OK.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Wgreen’s point is important – never leave your medication in your checked baggage in case it gets lost.

I’ve never had a problem and I’ve flown quite a lot since I started taking ADHD medication (about a year and half). Of course, always make sure that all medication (including any non-prescription over the counter stuff) is in it’s original container with the prescription label info on the bottle. This will make things much easier for you if you do have to undergo some random check. So far no one has ever even taken the bottles out of the bag to see what it was.

Happy travels!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Be sure to leave home your pocket knife and razors with blades. It may also simplify things if you have all medication and toiletries in a zip lock bag in an easily accessable place like a purse.

Expect to be aggrivated and pissed off and plan accordingly.

My wife has stuffed her dog in a carry on bag and shoved him under the seat on several occasions. He was quiet as a mouse and nobody had a clue.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Great tips! Thanks. I guess I’d not really fully thought about the original containers, but planned on it anyway…… not for the reasons given. Those convince me definitely use the original containers with current prescription label intact.

I keep forgetting about my pocket knife and all the “junk” usually have in my pockets. In fact I get some looks when I have to go over to the judicial building or state capital building for meetings…….. it causes some delay as I empty my pockets.

Will leave all the stuff out starting this weekend as practice. I figured I’d not even bother shaving for the 5 days I’d be gone.

Great advice – for anyone, really – every bit of it. Thanks, all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I work in security albeit not at your airport. We don’t care about medications at all unless they are liquid and then they are still allowed but either have to follow the 311 rules or be tested. Go to tsa.gov if you have more questions or I can answer most. Btw, if you check a bag be prepared to pay for it. Main rules for checked bags come from the airlines and FAA and have to do with weight and hazardous materials.

We aren’t the DEA. Our job is to keep guns, knives, bombs and other weapons off airplanes.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

This is interesting because I have to fly soon. I guess it depends if it’s an internal flight or not.

Because the drugs we take are scheduled, they might get you into trouble if you’re entering another country. My psych told me I need a letter from her confirming what the drugs are for and that they are legit in case I get stopped when entering (or leaving) a foreign country. I’ve already been held at gun point in Delhi because they thought my hairbrush was a knife! I wouldn’t want to be put in jail somewhere ‘difficult’ for running MPH!!

Another question is whether it’s OK to take stimulants when in the air – what about blood pressure etc???

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Scattybird is right. Since your medication is a stimulant, it’s very important that you also carry a copy of the original prescription and a letter from your doctor, so that you can prove the medication was prescribed for you, and why.

Stimulant medications tend to raise red flags, because they’re often sold to drug addicts for a cheap buzz.

You should be okay with taking your regularly-scheduled doses while you’re in flight. Just don’t take them with booze—which you should never do anyway, but at that high altitude, booze kicks in faster and harder than on the ground.

Jet lag can also mess you up, so you may want to carefully plan how to make the transition, so you’re not taking a fresh dose too soon (or too late) after the previous one.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Funny thing about all that intrusive security. Since its introduction, it has failed to catch & prevent even ONE terrorist from getting on a plane.

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Thanks Larynxa that’s good to know we can pop the pills and fly too – I mean literally and not metaphorically! But metaphorically would be nice too! 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t want to argue here Larynxa but how do you know that security hasn’t prevented a Terrorist from getting on a plane? No fly lists prevent terrorists from flying all the time. Also, it’s hard to know how many terrorists have been prevented from terrorist attacks because they know that they’d get caught if they tried.

But, medication isn’t a threat to an airplane. Even illegal ones.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Naturally meds aren’t a threat to a plane. However if you are carrying class 2/B drugs through security and they think you shouldn’t be carrying them you could be looking at a jail sentence and certainly a lot of hassle.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here are the rules:

1) Original prescription bottle with the name the same as the passport

2) A letter from your doctor is not essential but speeds any confusion. I think it is essential. Your doc might charge you a bit for this but worth it in the event of a problem

3) Liquid medication (e.g. fluoxetine liquid) might be a problem because you will have more than 100 ml so it is important you follow a) and b) but it is recommended that you speak to the airline ahead of time as they can give you advice (N.B. it is the airlines responsibility not airport security)

4) Ensure you have your doctors phone number on hand if you need to make a call.

In my experience, short visits are not usually a problem. When patients ask for more than a months supply, then it may present a difficulty as the size of the bottle becomes notable. Sometimes, I have suggested the name of a doc in that country or place as a back-up plan.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Dr. J

Many thanks for your advice here. I am away at the moment and got my doctor to write a letter. Nobody had challenged me at the airports yet but it’s good to know I have the document just in case.

REPORT ABUSE

Kissarissa

I took a copy of my prescription with me, the original bottle. I have a habit of just dumping the new ones in the old bottle, so I had sure the bottle and the quantity were consistent. I also had a letter my Dr wrote for work, so I brought that with me. But bring it as carryon! I’ve never been questioned about any medication I carry with me (even when flying through the US).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)