Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Telecommuting

Telecommuting2011-08-12T06:12:32+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a social worker and I have add-inattentive type. I was wondering if anyone in this forum telecommutes for work and how that works out? I would work out of my home and have an office space to go if I need advice and etc… I would love other add individuals opinions. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I got in a tangle working from home as I found myself staring at the screen forgetting what I was meant to be doing and feeling like I had to just keep going, rather than do what I normally do, which is get up, move around, do something else for a few minutes and go back to it. That was only one day a week though and I’ve changed it so I can do 2 hours, 4 days a week instead and fit it round my other work.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My new job has a lot of telecommuters and so far, it’s been working out.

The main problems as I see it is that I have no idea what anyone else is doing and feedback on my work is sporadic. I know that no news is good news, but I still worry that I’m going to screw up in this job like all of my others.

When I have clear direction, the work goes smoothly. When I’m “between projects” I feel like a rookie on the bench begging for the coach to put me in.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Upside – flexible hours!

Downside flexible hours!

I find the self regulation difficult as it is very easy to get distracted by other things at home. Ideally I should be in a structured environment for work. I often get behind on deadlines etc. and have to scramble to get things done. This is something I’m working hard on to fix but so far have not been completely successful. For the sake of productivity I know I should at least be in a more routine environment a couple of times a week minimum, but as yet I haven’t asked for it since I have to much other stuff to do at home.

The best strategy I’ve found so far in order to make sure I stay on track is I schedule my work time in my agenda very specifically. That is, I review my day and week to come on the weekend then draw in and block off the time for taks and appointments. i know if I’m doing something – like now online! – I’m supposed to start working on my latest project at 10 and work till 11:45 because I have an appointment at 12:30 and have to leave at 12. If I keep a visual of this time block in my head I can manage to actually work according to it. Very important to review the agenda in the morning and I keep it open next to me all day.If I don’t I’m likely to sit and watch the birds in the backyard all morning instead!

I’ve also noticed recently that I’m at my best in terms of work mid-morning, If I start then I can keep at it all day even with the occasional breaks. I am scheduling any outside appointments later in the day now because I find if I do it the other way around my motivation for computer work is almost non-existant! I can force myself but it’s so much harder!

By the way, according to the psychologist who did my assessment, this is a typical issue for people with ADD who are working from home. Sounds like the fact you have an office to go to should be helpful and if you set yourself up ahead of time keeping the potential problems in mind you are ahead of the game. I was working like this for years before I ever knew I had ADD or employed any strategies to counteract my bad habits !

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not a telecommunicator, but I used to run my business out of my home. Bad for me. I just moved it to rented commercial space and while I can still waste time and be distracted, it is infinitely more productive time and I have the goods to prove it.

My neighbour works for Telus (accounts receivable collections or customer service for the same) – she used to work at home – sometimes I could hear her on the phone with customers through her open window. She was very disciplined about the time she spent, would not answer the phone (except Telus related calls) or the door while she was at work.

She recently moved to the Telus office in town because they were going to let her go. She was spending too much time on each call. She begged them not to fire her. She said “it’s very quiet at home, I can even hear the birds, so I talk slower and I’m much more relaxed”. She now says that at work, she hears everyone around her, and the atmosphere is more conducive to what her employer expects of her.

So I would say working from home for an ADDer is a big challenge. An even bigger challenge if you are your own boss, as I am! You really need to have a good handle on where your weaknesses are, and develop coping strategies for them.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would be working for a large health insurance company and doing case management. They would provide me with work to do and I would go visit clients in nursing homes/assisted living facilities. I think it would be a good fit because I would not be my own boss and I would not have any coworkers to distract me.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)