Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Tell about your big projects, obstacles, outcomes (and treasure!)

Tell about your big projects, obstacles, outcomes (and treasure!)2011-10-02T14:29:19+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Organizing & De-Cluttering Tell about your big projects, obstacles, outcomes (and treasure!)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done, Krazy! I can’t plan a vacation or a visit, someone else always has to do it for me, so I guess I can relate to how overwhelming it must be, all the choices etc. I would rather someone else do all that work and I just tag along. Small wonder we don’t take vacations at all…

billd – that is very interesting about your ancestor! Do you still live in the same area? My parents ended up moving outside of the city they grew up in (Niagara area), in the country, just half a mile away from where my father’s ancestors’ homestead was – but he never knew his family history until I started digging. I’ve been digging into this since my dad found a piece of paper that his grandmother hand wrote saying “my grandfather was Henry Gable”. HG Sr was the first person granted land in Clarkson Ontario, which is now part of Mississauga (Port Credit). Fortunately there are quite a few descendants so there were family trees available on the internet, but I’m so glad you posted this as I found a wonderful article here on the internet that I am going to print and give to my father. He will be so delighted to read it! http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/8147_ClarksonBook_PartOne.pdf

Only you and I would understand this – the Spring Hill Cemetary that they talk about in this link has quite a few Gables and I spent hours one November, taking photos of gravestones and monuments, my husband in the car wondering what this crazy person was doing, my hands freezing off as I took photos and tried to write down the details. I must go back some time, apparently Gable’s house is still there somewhere to be seen.

I haven’t had time to spend on genealogy lately, but one of the last things my late mother entrusted me with was a black bag containing her family’s history, some papers of my grandfather’s masonic initiation, etc. I would also like to get back to it. There’s a now-closed cemetary in the middle of Toronto where my Irish ancestors are buried, and I would like to visit it – it only opens on Mothers and Fathers Day each year.

Way off topic, but there’s some special projects waiting for us!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I can relate – sometimes for me planning a route, thinking about it, etc. – takes as long as the trip.

no_dop – no, I’m in Iowa. William moved his wife to the central US from Ohio area early on, then to Knoxville, Iowa, where they farmed. He passed away, and she later deeded part of the farm to the city for a cemetery.

This is Rachel’s stone – my great great grandmother if I have it correct. William is an old name in the family.

http://www.dickerson-design.com/images/family-photos/rachel-tucker-dickerson-grave.jpg

Some great great great aunt was a first lady if I recall.

There are a lot of us in Ohio, Maryland, etc.

Yeah, speaking of projects, that’s one I’d like to get back to one day.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our family stayed in what’s called the Golden Horseshoe (Niagara Peninsula/GTA) area for the most part, although I’m sure that there are those who travelled further afar.

My dad’s in his mid-80s, so it’s a good time to resurrect it for me. I’m glad you got me looking again! There’s a renactment of local history at one of the museums this month and I’m thinking going, maybe even taking him there.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I can’t believe I stuck with this ALL weekend, didn’t get side-tracked. But as some might say i was hooked and a bit “focused’ at times, and now am totally anxious to see the outcome, and know that once done with this, I can again work on MY stuff as I want…..

http://www.dickerson-design.com/images/quilt-room/quilt-room-project_45.jpg

http://www.dickerson-design.com/images/quilt-room/quilt-room-project_48.jpg

http://www.dickerson-design.com/images/quilt-room/quilt-room-project_49.jpg

http://www.dickerson-design.com/images/quilt-room/quilt-room-project_65.jpg

Plus I did a bunch of work on my bench and tools to make the project easier – dogs in the vice and bench top to hold pieces while I sand them, a “plate” to fit the bottom of my circular saw to help prevent chipping on the oak plywood as I cut it, that sort of stuff.

LOL – I’m rather hyped about this now……… but am still struggling trying to keep away from working on my cars and lower shop area.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not entirely sure if this qualifies, but…here goes.

Project – plan a day-long charity benefit

Estimated time – at least one year

This started out as a, “you know what would be cool?” idea and has morphed to me working with 3 of my website co-owners on this project. Currently we are in the Proposal stage of the project; looking at venues, and taking notes after notes on what all we need to do and jotting down our ideas.

Any advice on how to keep up to date on our progress and not letting things fall by the wayside. This isn’t part of my 9-5 job, but rather an extension of a website that was started as a hobby…things have taken off from there.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

suzybear – check out David Seah’s website for some ideas on how to track projects, I’ve found some of his stuff useful http://www.davidseah.com

billd – I qualify to be a DAR, I think, as well as a UEL. Can you be both? (they are from different lines)

I was supposed to be doing something else last night but spent hours on the internet trying to dig up more info about my ancestor. I am the 8th generation of the one I was researching, but decided to spend time looking for another pioneer relative who lived very close to Gable and who married one of his granddaughters. He was very tough to find, I have hit many dead ends. Probably would work better if I paid for one of these services. But I managed to find him after all, and since I myself spent time with microfiche at the Ontario Archives quite a few years ago, looking for birth certificates and also census records, I knew I had the right one (he remarried after his first wife passed away quite young). I have had a great time digging up stories online about this particular ancestor – my father is going to be really interested in reading it! I also found a few extra siblings, and a few more ancestors in the process, always satisfying.

And yesterday a friend called – he just got his pilot’s license and owns a Cessna 172, and wanted to take us up to look at the fall colours. It was wonderful, my first trip in a small plane, but it threw my schedule out the window, and today was catch-up.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool billd!! Looking good!! Congrats on sticking with it. I am impressed that things have moved into the “making” side and didn’t come unstuck in the “planning” stage, like many of my projects do lol :? I wanted to install a built-in desk/bench in my sewing room, as standard desks seem to be either not long enough, or too deep, or both. I got stuck in the “how to make sure it would take the weight of my machines” stage. I know how to brace a bench, but there are many different ways and I was not sure what would be the best way to do it without eating into my under-bench space (where I want to put some drawers, as well as have leg room). My favourite option was to screw a length of 2×4 to the wall for the rear and one side edge (it’s in a corner) of the bench to rest on, and then put “legs” of some sort in the centre and at the “non-corner corner” – either laminated chipboard panels, or premanufactured metal legs. I compounded my plans by also wanting to add an extra bench panel that folds flat against the wall when not needed, but extends the bench along the wall when up. Grrr!! How to brace THAT just got me muddled and I gave up in disgust!!

no_dop, I envy you your plane ride. How nice to see all the colours of autumn.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I had to be careful to not “over-plan”. I could have spent a week on that alone.

I have no real plan which is a first for me. Usually i have several pages of drawings, material lists, etc.

I’m trying to draw on my “abilities” and not let ADD get in the way too much (maybe toofat got to me) – it’s not working well, as I still need to draw things out as I go, but it’s not like some times where I spend 10 days planning, and 1 day doing.

I’m struggling against myself – my “instincts” to think about it for a few more days.

Yeah, I did make a mistake – I did the middle shelves all wrong, however, I can trim the ends down and use them for the movable shelves, and simply make new middle/stationary shelves the way they should be.

Several other projects coming – close the pool (a weekend job), rebuild and replace the hinges on the doors of my Eagle SX/4 (the doors don’t close well, sag, and the right one is hard to open) that will be a weekend job. And most of all – CLEAN and organize both my shop and my garage. That will take a couple of weeks at least. WHAT A MESS! If I was in town, they’d mark my buildings as disaster areas.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Project:

Cleaning out (emptying) the downstairs bedroom and painting it. Planning a mural or large painting for that room.

The room was full of junk furniture, trash, miscellaneous stuff, lots of mouse poop, dirty dishes, scattered pieces of toys and games – it was disgusting. I took it on in 3-4 hour chunks. What tended to stop me or slow me down was either not knowing what to do with things (how to organize or where to put them) and just being grossed out. There are times when I go into cleaning mode when it’s easier to throw things away than to analyze their meaning, purpose, or value.

After the cleaning, during which I discovered that some objects could not be removed from the room (such as a television, due to a cable hook-up) I still got almost everything out, which enabled me to think.

Painting the walls took a lot longer than I expected. I did it in about three 2-hour sessions. It was a real physical work-out. Then I ran out of paint.

I still need to paint the ceiling and trim (it’s all the same color – a very bright white.) The brush and roller are still (2 weeks later) sitting in a bucket of water. The newspapers are still on the floor. The empty can is still sitting there. I need to buy another gallon.

Yet, I feel good about my progress.

For the mural, I had months ago collected a bunch of photo reference materials, and in a few 2-hour sessions have 90% completed a small 10 x 12 inch study of what the mural will be like. It is not done, but it’s close.

The “treasure” I have discovered is that it is much easier to engage in a project and find meaning in it when it benefits someone else- in this case, my older son who started high school and should have his own private bedroom. I can get motivated when there is a clear goal or outcome, when I will know when I’m finished, when it’s for a clear purpose, and when it will make someone else happy.

A similar example would be the times I’ve spent cleaning and decluttering a friend’s kitchen because she has mobility issues. It is easier to be objective about another person’s space and stuff, and the work doesn’t carry the heavy emotional weight it would if I were doing it for myself.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A mural sounds great. I have always wanted to try one.

Running out of paint would stop my progress too. I have always been amazed that something so “easy” can be such a huge hurdle on the road to completion. Good luck in getting back to the painting.

@billd – Maybe I need to “just do it” instead of thinking about it too much. I use my sewing room too much for me to stuff around with “thinking” once I have cleared it out to make a start on the bench. I would have to just “do” in order to get it finished and my room back in order. Not that I have the money right now though. I have bought the small stuff already (screws, dowel, brackets), and have recycled some 2×4 from an old bed, but I need the benchtop.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

sdwa, you have just nailed down why I get caught up in other people’s projects to the detriment of my own – I enjoy helping them accomplish something, I enjoy their positive feedback, and I can’t say no!

For the first time in awhile, I actually worked on my own project – in this case, a newsletter that I wanted to get out by our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend). A friend called – we often collaborate on each others’ promotions since we live at quite a distance and don’t compete in any way – anyway, I managed to resist the urge to attend to her project, I gave her a few tips but let her do it herself. I wasn’t even paying very close attention to her on the phone. Previously I would have dug right into it, taking it over, remaking it my way (with her input), spending hours on it but at the expense of my own stuff. And then I would have spent hours and hours catching up on my own stuff. I do this over and over, and never really put two and two together to figure out why I am so exhausted by all my creative ventures.

So my challenge was to stay focused on my own project, get it out on time, have a clear and simple approach (my tendency is to over-complicate things), not be distracted, and work through a distraction without being rude to my friend.

sdwa – I’m reminded by your story of an outdoor Rubbermaid deckbox that is full of grass seed and fertilizer, etc. We haven’t used it in a few years, just for storage of leftover garden stuff. The last time I opened it, I found out that the mice had taken it over for a place to nest, so it will be extremely nasty cleaning it out. Going to get gloves and a respirator mask just to be safe. Congrats on making it through most of your project!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Too bad u r sew far away, KrazyKat………. I like projects like that. (and I have the tools and materials on hand for the most part)

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

THANKS for this Thread!

TASK: Cleaning mountain of paper from underneath bedroom nightstand

ESTIMATED TIME:

Half an hour

I got a garbage bag and proceeded to root through pile taking clumps at a time and going through it. Found some mementos from kids to put in my “Happiness File” and made a pile for financial papers and bring to work papers. Retrieved a tote for financial papers.

RESULT: Much less clutter in bedroom is better for sleep.

ACTUAL TIME:

2-3 hours

OBSTACLE: I wanted to do something else, anything else but since I found stuff from LAST YEAR, it was time to go through it.

TREASURE:

Financial papers, a $30 dollar overdue library book that I was “SURE” I returned and then grumblingly paid for two weeks ago (oops!) but most exciting a $30.00 Gift Certificate that I bought last December for a manicure! Woohoo!!!

TIP THAT WORKED FOR ME : Listened to an interesting audiobook helped keep me in the room and pleasantly distracted while still productive in this numbing decluttering task.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

TASK: Major declutter of living room. We actually have a before photo that was a requirement for my ADD assessment (3 photos of my living space). I would sooner die before showing it to anyone else.

CHALLENGE: both my ADD husband and I have never been able to do this type of cleanup without fierce arguments, and never able to sustain our efforts for more than 1 hour.

METHOD: got a BIG paper recycling bin, another box for papers to be shredded, a big garbage bin for stuff to be thrown out. We started on the floor and worked our way up, that way I was able to get in and start dusting and swiffering the laminate floors (surprise! they have a pattern that isn’t black dust).

UNFORSEEN OBSTACLES: I would go from one room to the next taking things where they belonged, and then become somewhat overwhelmed and paralyzed by the clutter in the other room. At one point I noticed it was a nice day and wanted to go outside to clean off the egg some idiot threw at it last March – even got sidetracked enough to get the cleaning supplies and razor blade scraper together when we realized we didn’t have the right ladder at home and it was also pouring rain outside. So back to the original project.

Also, I went to throw out a blow-up mattress in a duffel-style bag because I knew it had a leak and we hadn’t used it in at least 10 years. My husband recovered the duffel-style bag and wanted to keep it, but I said “WE HAVE TO MAKE TOUGH DECISIONS. THROW IT OUT”.

TREASURE: found my lost camera lens cap – sucked something up with the vacuum skinny attachment from under the couch. Actually sucked up two large objects but this one was too big to be sucked into the vacuum. I wonder what else I sucked up? My husband kept the 10 cent coin I spotted on the floor. Not much change this time around.

WHAT MADE IT POSSIBLE: My husband got his CPAP machine last week (for severe sleep apnea) and also started taking his Ritalin, so he now has energy during the day. I am now on Modafinil (narcolepsy med) which keeps me alert during the day and I also had good energy.

We didn’t finish the room completely, but it looks much, much better.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My artistic projects invariable seduce me away from my organizing project. I take a timer, but even have trouble staying with the organizing for 15 minutes. I guess maybe I’ll try 10 mins. at a time with a 5 min break in between. Sigh. This seems like a terrible way to do something, but if I can get the living room clear of my art stuff, I will be SO HAPPY and so will my long-suffering husband. It is Sunday evening now; my goal will be to have the living room clear of my stuff by Friday evening. I don’t have all day, every day to work on it, so I will need to work for an hour or so every day. I’ll be keeping y’all informed on my progress–I hope there WILL be progress, as I’ve had this simple goal for a long time and have not achieved it yet.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)