Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Telling my ADD teen that I'm ADD Too: Tips?

Telling my ADD teen that I'm ADD Too: Tips?2017-10-21T15:10:44+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Adults Telling my ADD teen that I'm ADD Too: Tips?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

kathrynstargazer

My daughter was diagnosed at age 12, after a tough childhood. All the standard ADD stuff: socially ostracized (despite being so sweet and desperately wanting friends), academic challenges, sleep issues…you all know the drill.  She’s 19 now, has her treatment in a good place, and is doing fairly well in college.

Learning about ADD through her journey, I realized I must have it too (a common story, so I hear).  Many of the problems she had, I had as a child.  It finally all made sense. But I put off my own diagnosis until recently.

Now that I have been diagnosed and am having success with my treatment, I want to share with her.  BUT how will she react? I don’t think she will blame me for the faulty genes…but I think she may feel this is “her” issue, and she may not like that it’s mine, too. We have a good relationship, but children (esp teens and young adults) often like to feel distinct from their parents….  Any advice? Do I tell her? Do I tell her, but quickly and not in-depth? Is it okay to share what I have learned? Any tips appreciated.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

I would be honest with her.  Together the two of you will be stronger and maybe even be able to help each other out.

Richard

That Guy With ADHD

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)