Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

The 1-hour until quitting time everything's gotta be done now rush

The 1-hour until quitting time everything's gotta be done now rush2012-02-03T21:31:15+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling The 1-hour until quitting time everything's gotta be done now rush

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am getting overwhelmed with last minute requests. They are destroying my emotional well-being. I think I have everything under control and everything’s working fine and then BLAM! All of these “little” last minute changes just when I’m least able to combat them. I feel like crying, screaming, hitting myself. I can’t deal with this every day! I need to get something to change.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

NOBODY appreciates getting ambushed with last-minute changes. When you have ADHD, you almost physically feel those interruptions. Plus, when you have ADHD, you’re so eager to please others, that you have a really hard time turning down requests.

This is one case when you should discuss the matter with your supervisor. You have a cognitive dysfunction, which requires adjustments to your working methods.

One such adjustment is requesting that you not be “surprised” with last-minute changes. Experience shows that, in many cases, people were aware of the changes well in advance, but didn’t share this information (or delegate the work) until much later. Often, it’s because they got so busy doing their work, that they forgot!

Of course, getting hit with multiple changes throughout the day is very jarring for the ADD brain as well. This requires a bit of a system.

I remember a blog or forum posting from Rick, in which he wrote that he and his wife have a system involving post-it notes. When he’s working, and she has something to ask or tell him, she writes it on a post-it note, *silently* leaves the note on his desk, and *silently* walks away. When he takes a break, he deals with the note.

That way, he’s aware there’s a note, but he can deal with it when he takes a break, instead of having to derail his train of thought to deal with it immediately. Of course, he noted that if it were something serious, like the house being on fire, he expects her to tell him immediately, without the post-it note!

A similar system would probably work for you in this situation. You’d need to discuss it with your supervisor, and, together, you’d ask your co-workers to comply. It’s not that you’re being deliberately difficult. You just have a disability, and it requires a bit of accommodation.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

It’s a great idea but for me the post-it notes would have to be put in a prearranged spot out of my line of sight. I would have to know what was on it and just it being put on my desk would throw me off whatever I was doing. Good idea but it can be modified to suit an individual.

I have a colleague that demands things are done NOW and if not she gets quite annoyed and a bit abusive so in my stress I try to do it immediately only to find that others told her they would do it when they can. Handling that kind of thing is difficult and what TheGameGuy describes seems like other people’s inadequate time mangement is being dumped onto you.

Maybe you should just say ‘yes I am happy to do it but it is third in my list of priorities so will be done tomorrow’ or whatever. It takes courage to do that though and it depends on whether the person asking is further up the pecking order or not. Other people’s emergencies shouldn’t become yours though. I think that kind of request is wrong whether someone has ADHD or not. I reckon some peopple play to our desire to try to be efficient and get things done even though it’s a struggle.

Think talking is the best policy. I have 3 things to do before I get to yours…..

But last minute changes are horrible to deal with. It might be that you need to ask for some accommodations but it depends on your line manager etc etc and that’s a new ball game.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

GameGuy – Last minute changes reflect poor planning or communication on the part of the person requesting the change. It may possibly be considered rude and inconsiderate as well. The person requesting the change should be told that any changes, however little, affect your ability to complete your work on time and will extend the time you had estimated for completing the work. Put any stress due to time constraints back on the person making the request.

The above is true for anyone, ADHD or not. I would not in any way implicate ADHD as being in anyway responsible for any delays or ask for special consideration due to your ADHD. Your ADHD is not the cause for any problems or delays, the changes are.

I can think of three types of requests. Changes to existing work (which has to be done over), elimination of some of the work assigned, and additions to work already assigned. I would inform them that additional work would be undertaken after the previously assigned work is completed. Naturally, priorities may require otherwise. Your supervisor should be aware of the situation.

In all of the above, use common sense and a willingness to help. Somewhere I read, “The biggest problem most people have is in thinking they are working for somebody else.” Unless you have been purchased as a slave, you are selling your services to your employer. Take pride in what you do. The job is important or else it wouldn’t exist.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I agree with you kc – from what TheGameGuy said it’s not an ADHD issue it’s a bad management issue.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ADHD issue is that it comes at the end of a 9-hour day and I have completely lost the abilities to concentrate, focus or prioritize. It is the time of even more mistakes and more frustration and telling the person I need more time (even though I’m not on salary and not getting overtime) would mean that I’d be extending my day even farther for them and doing it for free.

I need to get my supervisor involved so we can work out a solution. I may have to reveal my disability in order to get the accommodation.

I think the problem is multiplied because (as Larynxa pointed out) I have a hard time saying no. I don’t want to be the one responsible for missing the deadline. And there’s an awful lot of fear attached as I don’t want to tic anyone of (especially someone higher up) and risk losing ANOTHER job. Another reason why I may need to reveal my disability so I can get some protection and not be fired because I can’t do something because of my disability.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

It’s a tricky one really. I think anyone (irrespective of ADHD) would feel like that after a 9 hour day. But I do know what you mean because I have to work longer hours than my colleagues to get things done and it just kills any other aspects of life. I certainly can’t deal with last minute stresses like you describe even if I am not tired. I have to do things at my own pace even if it takes longer. If I don’t, then I make mistakes and that’s worse. Guess we’re all in a similar boat.

It might be a good idea to declare your ADHD if you think it will protect you. It depends on the situation and the employer. If they will use that to ‘get at you’ later on then don’t – but if it will protect you then do. I guess it just depends on how reasonable these people are.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and I hope it turns out well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel your pain. My employer demands our reports be completed/submitted by a date that has been set out months in advance. Then 2 work days before the submission date an email will appear advising workers of changes and revisions in policy/format that is to be reflected in the content and format of the reports.

If that wasn’t good enough, management even has enough nerve to sent out yet another email the last working day before submission and added more revisions to be made.

It makes me want to scream but I take comfort in the fact that I’m not the only one who struggles with pre-planning/decision making/being prepared. Even big corporations can struggle with the symptoms of ADHD.

🙄

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)