Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

The Spoon Theory

The Spoon Theory2012-02-29T14:54:33+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Other The Spoon Theory

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently read The Spoon Theory and it’s the best explanation I’ve seen of what the struggle of living with a chronic, invisible illness is like and how it feels. It explains how much sufferers can or can’t do each day.

ADD fits that category. It’s invisible and it affects us everyday. Maybe you might not be affected to the extent shown in the story, but the basic concept is still the same.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

Do you relate to it?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

interesting idea, though I don’t try to tell other people about me and ADHD, and anxiety and depression and the oh maybe

also Aspergers as well.

Wish I could achieve better coping skills .. still cant anticipate rollercoaster surges and meltdowns .. more pratice

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

ADD aside, the worst I ever experienced was after a serious back injury about 10 years ago. I got so tired of “you don’t look sick” I came close to murder I’m sure. What part of ‘back injury’ relates to “sick”? D@mned if I know. People are sometimes just not very smart at connecting the dots I guess.

As fo ADD, if pressed I explain it’s like incessant multitasking in your head, with assorted noises thrown in for added cacophonous atmosphere. After I see the quizzical look, I simply say I take in all the sights and sounds all around me, non-stop, and with not much control, and it can be tiring and difficult to deal with. If the look is still quizzical, (usually this is a coffee shop setting or diner) I point out I can hear very sound from the bus boy in back, the cooks shouting, all the kids crying, the overly loud cell phone talkers, and the voices of most in the place. And then I ask if they noticed the ceiling with a skylight, the yellow accent below the brown painted walls, the painting for sale on the far left wall, and the dog under the table 25′ to the left. that usually gets them to have a light-bulb moment. Mostly.

Spoons was a good read though, and I thank my lucky stars I don’t have such a debilitating disease. ADD in many ways makes my life pretty exciting. but that’s another story.

Cheers, Jim

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)