Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Theory About Weather Changes and "Down" days

Theory About Weather Changes and "Down" days2012-06-04T19:01:11+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Theory About Weather Changes and "Down" days

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

AbbyNormal

Just throwing this out there as a theory, will start making a note of what kind of weather occurs on days like today when I feel very down and defeated.

I call them my “not in a good place” days. They happen every once in awhile, about once a month or so (no, it’s not PMS, I am 5 years post-hysterectomy ;o). Despite my Concerta and my usual optimism and acceptance of my ADHD challenges, on these days I feel incompetent, tired of the struggle to stay on top of it all, sad that I have to work so hard at life sometimes, and the future looks dim.

Saying it aloud or texting it to my very supportive husband seems to help. I also try to step back and not expect much from myself on days like this. Comforting things help too, like reading a good book under a blanket on the couch, trolling the forums here and reading how not alone in this I am, maybe some Andy Griffith on Netflix, and trying to let those dark thoughts drift past me and away from me, rather than agonizing over them. Tomorrow is always better.

Today is a cool and rainy day here, and my son gets migraines triggered by barometric pressure drops, so I started wondering if they have the above effects on me.

Has anyone else noticed such a thing in your own patterns?

Abby

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi AbbyNormal – sorry you’re having a ‘not so good’ day today. I think it’s normal to have those days. If only every now and then it’s usual and you’re right about accepting it and being good to yourself on those days.

Chocolate, a good book and a duvet are nice to have then!

I agree with your theory about the weather – if it doesn’t cause those bad days then if it’s awful it certainly doesn’t help them. I think it’s worse at this time of year than in the winter too because the expectatIon for nice weather is greater. Sunshine always helps. When I was a kid I remember talk of headaches and pressure changes….

Hope you soon feel happier.

REPORT ABUSE

AbbyNormal

Thanks, Scatty!

I did just that- added chocolate to my blanket-covered book reading session on the couch! It was a nice break.

Then I remembered what also works: exercise! After several hours of nesting, I got up, put my cute new yoga capris on, strapped the No Pull Harness on one of the dogs, and power-walked 2.3 miles in 30 minutes. Endorphins were released, I do believe. Feeling much better this evening! :D

Thanks for the sympathy, as always, Scatty!

Love,

Abby

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

:D Wow – 2.3 miles in 30 minutes!! That is serious power walking! I am impressed.

I laughed when I read your reply – exercise is the best medicine yet it doesn’t cross my mind when I feel ‘out of sorts’. Oops – must change my mindset.

Glad you’re feeling better.

REPORT ABUSE

AbbyNormal

Thanks for the Wow, Scatty! I think this time I impressed myself, too!

Ya, notice it didn’t occur to me to exercise either, not until a few hours later!! “Couch”- now that is much more appealing to the mind than “exert”, isn’t it? :D

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

I read weather forecasts the way some people read horoscopes; they tell me what sort of mood I’ll be in. My emotions are really tied to the weather, but I don’t always like the same weather other folks do. For instance, in the winter I don’t like sunny days, because we don’t have snow around here and so all that low-angle sunshine just makes everything look sort of bleak.

I also don’t mind a touch of humidity in the air, especially when it’s windy. I love a summer evening with a warm, sultry breeze swirling about. Cold, dry wind, on the other hand, can make me incredibly irritable.

I love storms of all kinds: snow, thunder, whatever. Maybe that’s my modest version of thrill-seeking. I like to watch hurricane coverage.

Most of all, I react strongly to weather based on how it fits in with my plans. If I have a lot of work to do indoors, I have a difficult time concentrating if the sun is shining, even if it’s a cold, bleak winter day. And of course if I have outdoor plans and the weather is chilly and dreary, grrrr. But when the weather matches my agenda, it’s bliss!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The weather has been miserable all day – thankfully! Because I had a university assignment due and would never be able to sit indoors and focus on it if the sun was out. I’d be daydreaming about what I could be doing instead. So it’s all done and submitted a whole day early – big achievement for me! Now with a big storm raging outside I’ve had a warm bath, put on my PJs and Ugg Boots and plan on lying on the couch to watch a BBC period drama on TV….and the kids are with their dad tonight – bliss!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Well done Redsquirrel – sounds like you deserve that cosy relaxing evening!

Guess you’re heading for winter now? But you just described our summer so far in the UK!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Scattybird. It feels good having guilt free TV time. We’re just getting the second season of Downton Abbey – how addictive is that show? If they also screened the new Upstairs, Downstairs tonight, it would have made my week.

You’re right, we are heading into winter here, so the miserable weather is to be expected, but unlike the UK, our winters usually come with bright, clear blue skies. We’ve had Queen’s Jubilee news saturation and the weather in London does look dreadful! Poor Elizabeth, having to stand in the rain and look like she’s enjoying herself.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Yes I did feel sorry for her really – the week before had actually been unseasonably HOT! So that kind of added to the shame of the weather for the holiday weekend. Only in the UK can we have 30’C one day and ground frost and rain the next.

I haven’t watched Downton Abbey but I gather it’s really good and addictive. I didn’t quite get around to getting a digital TV when they switched off the analog signal here (last August) – that must be the ultimate in procrastination! Oddly, I don’t miss it so don’t feel in a rush to do much about it. It also meant that I wasn’t overly saturated with Jubilee news! However, I do buy box sets of all kinds of DVDs so I am not devoid of the luxury of watching nice stuff.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)