Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Think I was prescribed the wrong medication

Think I was prescribed the wrong medication2011-10-24T23:44:13+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? Think I was prescribed the wrong medication

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 27 and my doctor said that I have all the symptoms of ADD/ADHD I’m not sure of the difference. However, he said he was going to prescribe me something and see how that works out for me. First off I do not want to be a test dummy. I do not like taking any medicines, I’m wary of vitamins. Ok my symptoms. Cannot stay focused on anything. That is my number one and only complaint. Today my prescription came in the mail and it is Celexa. I have no form of depression or suicidal thought by no means. From what I’ve read on here people cannot focus because they are thinking bad thoughts of themselves (often times). When I can’t focus I am thinking about legit positive things, the problem is they are not the things that I need to be focusing on at the moment. I am in college and taking 17 hours this semester and can barely stay awake now for the lack of sleep that I get. It sounds like this Celexa will make me drowsy all day. I have not taken any yet. Is this the right medicine for me?

REPORT ABUSE

Stash
    Participant

Hi Coolcat,

Well, I guess it would depend on what the doctor said he was treating. Celexa is an anti-depressant, but I’m not a doctor or a pharmacist, so I can’t say (aside from a wikipedia/google search) what else it may be prescribed for. If you are unsure AT ALL, I would suggest that you do not take it until you have had a chance to consult with your doctor.

That’s the good thing about getting meds from a pharmacy in person – they talk to you and make sure you understand what you are taking.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

celexa is used to increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance. Strattera is used to increase the levels of norepinephrine, a natural substance in the brain that is needed to control behavior. Strattera is however reconized by the FDA to treat adult ADD/ADHD….i believe as of 2005, but not so much helpful without treatment from a stimulate, and lifestyle changes. Please don’t run with my informations as i’ve only worked as a pharm tech and nurse, nothing more….but good luck with your treatment 4 months after you even made this post.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My doc game me first sttratera 25 and told me that if I felt like it wasn’t doing much I could increase the dosage. I kept increasing the dosage every 2 months till I got to 60. It absolutely helped but my sex life started to suck, like beating speed records if you know what I mean. So the doc gave me welbutrin which is an antidepressant. I wanted to kill the doc because I’m not depressed. Sex life improved a lot but I think I lost my brain somewhere. I was more add than ever, first day I left the pot heating on the flame for 2 hours till it almost melted. After a month of staring at the computer unable to do anything and taking advantage of the now empty bottle I just stopped taking it and now thanks to my computer staring anti-productive time I have no money to go see the doc to get new pills.

I have to wait that my wife gets some cash so I can go see the doc, pay the visit and then have leftover money to buy the pills.

I hope he gives me an stimulant because that’s the only thing I didn’t try it yet.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

santiago, what other therapies are you doing aside from medication?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My other drug of choice is NLP / Hypnosis via audios. Even though the “add and loving it” video says that there is no help in hypnosis for ADD people I still have hopes.

I’ll try to get a coach too (when I manage to get some cash to invest on one or if I find a creative way to pay for it)

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

santiago, If I have been reading the research conclusions correctly, mindfulness and meditation are now proven to help improve the lives of people with ADD. I posted some of my experiences here. http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=2737

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)