Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Thinking I have ADHD Combined type.

Thinking I have ADHD Combined type.2011-03-12T01:28:55+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Do I Have it? Thinking I have ADHD Combined type.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am writing as I just learnt that 2 more of my 6 children have ADHD My oldest was diagnosed when he was 6, he is now 17 and my 8 and 10 year olds were just diagnosed which got me thinking more about it and looking into adult ADHD and i did the little test on here and well i had all the symptons, I am now in process of finding a doctor or someone to explore it further and get a diagnosis. I hear they usually take a couple of months to complete. I have been struggling for as long as i can remember and have had real issues in my parenting. I seem to lack follow thru on a lot of things, i am not overly consistant, i have a huge concentration issue, as a matter of fact I just starting watching the tv program that i recorded about 2 months ago and decided to watch it and well i have not finished watching it yet, i have stopped 3 times now and ended up coming down here to look up more info and came accross this website. Well if anyone can give me some advice or justs wants to talk that would be great. Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi ckddesign….. can I suggest you get on it ASAP. I’m ADD, my kids are now 26 and 30, both are ADD, my partner was not. That was a problem!!! She is/was great, a super mother…but not ADD and didn’t realize what they required. Not her fault, no blame!! I on the other hand was diagnosed around 30 + years ago, early in the game and tried to provide my children with a positive environment for their ADD to flourish in….ADD can flourish ( I did ) ….. it’s amazing the potential, provided the environment is right.

It was a struggle, a struggle between me and my non-ADD partner and a struggle with the educational system. They are both great kids and turned out very well…nice nice people, I’m pleased as punch at who they are. If there is one thing I know, ADD can be struggle unless provided an ADD positive environment……. ADD is a gift……. but it needs the environment.

can’t say it enough……

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Fellow Mom who most likely has ADHD! I am 43 years old, a Mother, a working Mother, an ADHDer combined type, diagnosed last year, my son is now 9 years old and he was diagnosed three years ago, and my husband is also an ADHDer combined type, and he was diagnosed two years ago. My husband and I clearly recognized our own symptoms and pursued our own diagnoses after our son was diagnosed.

Anyway, I only have positive things to say about the freedom, self knowledge, relief and unity I have experienced since receiving an official diagnosis. And it is SO nice to share this with my son as it helps me to help HIM!

For adult diagnosis it doesn’t usually take as long as for children, at least in our familie’s experience. It seems as if your process would take MUCH less than a few months. In our experience it was our son’s diagnosis that took a few months, particularly because it took the Psychologists SO long to do the testing due to issues with attention. However, for me and my husband, it was a different process.

Check it out!

Hope it helps to hear from another Mom and family, in which BOTH parents identified ADHD for themselves after their child’s diagnosis.

JaneFC

PS: It took me over two hours to complete this response as a result of walking away, watching a movie and now returning to it. At least I finished it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the advice and yes it is great to hear from others. I am in process of getting ball rolling as far as diagnosis. I want to help myself and my children. I will let you know how everything turns out. Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your finding on ADHD are not unusual. My first son was labeled class clown and disruptive when he was in third grade. Apparently in Northern Wisconsin no one had heard of ADD. It was not until he was in High School that the term was used (1978). I was sort of diagnosed by a neurologist a few years later. It was not until I went for marriage counseling with a psychologist that the actual diagnosis was confirmed. Since then all three of my brother’s families have been diagnosed as well. Our family get togethers are mini ADD conferences where everyone is a dry standup comedian, a lot of laughs. I am currently trying to find out as much as possible so that I can make sure all my children and nephews and nieces are educated and seeking professional help. I think the most important thing is to get professional help. I am being seen by a psychiatrist that handles the treatment and drug interactions and a psychologist with talk therapy. It has been almost seven years because by the time I started treatment I had pretty well destroyed a previously successful life. This illness provides good and bad…control the bad effects and I think a very successful life can be had.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

well i will start seeing a psychologist in a few weeks to start the diagnosis process. I have been reading books on it in the meantime. I am hoping that if i am at least aware i can take steps to better my situation and that of my kids.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)