Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Thirtyfive years and now there is a problem

Thirtyfive years and now there is a problem2010-02-25T04:00:47+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Thirtyfive years and now there is a problem

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys and I guess gals….

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am married for almost 30 yrs and have 6 children. Worked at a national corporation for just under 35 yrs. Two years from retirement. Wanted to go to night school 11 yrs ago and got a learning assessment as it had been a long time since I had done any real book learning. There I was found to have a learning disability with strong indication of ADHD. Worked with my strengths and got thru the course near the top of class. Did not change jobs as I like my work and this was just for education for education only.

Now the issue is that I have had a good career and worked under many bosses who have always found me to work harder and better then most other employees. Presently I have a boss who likes to single out individuals and ride them till they transfer to another area. This has occurred more then a couple of times and now it is my turn. I was called on the carpet over a paper towel that failed to hit the waste basket. He started to hell and act very aggresive and I reacted by locking up. As soon as he left and I felt safe I placed the item in the basket but by that time he had written me up and was going to interview me about this. I tried to explain and the fact that I had ADD came out. Immediately he was all over it about my driving (as I drive for the company for part of my work). This has never been a problem before but it seems that 30 plus yrs mean little. I received a two page letter on my file and it was being sent on for further consideration from higher ups for further discipline.

One day later I get another interview to Discuss My Claimed Medical Condition. This is very troubling as I thought the world has moved beyond running people out of town who were a little different.

any comments please

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Call the company’s lawyer and get him to explain to those bozos how expensive it would be to be

caught discriminating against you for a medical disorder. If they still don’t get the message, your union

and the labour relations board in your province or state can give them some education on the topic.

This is putting them right at the edge of criminal liability so the company lawyers will be highly motivated

to discuss the matter and resolve it in-house instead of having to face you in court and the press outside it.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I worked in an IT firm, 12 years ago. After a couple of good years, I got transferred to a new boss, who was a Type A, overachieving bully, who got along great with computers, but lousy with people. Despite medical certificates stating that I had clinical depression, which was causing my anxiety and difficulty with concentration, he continued to torment me. Even when my mom went into hospital for an emergency triple bypass (which, of course, did wonders for my emotional state), he seemed completely unable to show any compassion whatsoever.

Finally, he falsified a quarterly revue to justify immediately terminating me. A quarterly review which included the gem, “Basic logical concepts appear to be beyond her limited capabilties (sic)”. (Yes, he misspelled the word “capabilities”.) The intensive psychological testing I subsequently underwent determined that I was in the 93rd percentile for intelligence (i.e. only 7% of people are smarter than I am—So much for basic logical concepts being beyond me), but under severe stress, anxiety and depression. Armed with this information, and proof of my boss’ refusal to make any concessions for my disability, I took the matter to the Human Rights Commission. It took three years, but I eventually won a settlement of 10 times what the company had originally offered me. Unfortunately, by then, I’d racked up huge bills for medications and therapy, which instantly wiped out the settlement.

The topper is that, three years ago, that bullying boss dropped dead of a massive heart attack, at the age of 50. And pretty well anyone who ever worked for him was glad to see the end of him. And I’m still here!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Aaron, I’d be calling your lawyer, then the media.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh boy well be glad your not me I have no self control and work very hard to overcome my ‘HULK SMASH” reaction

. Postiesteve I am proud of you , first for not blowing up like you could have and, second for at least understanding your situation and asking for advice.

My advice DON’T listen to me about workplace problems EVER! I am 40 and still looking for a career.

What I will say is stick it out brother and dont leave any stone unturned. It is not you they are after by the sound of it more like they are trying to thin out your department. If you do not want to go then dont.

REPORT ABUSE

ljsmith13

Malevalent,

I hear you. I had that kind of issue a few years ago, but as a perimenopausal woman, it was hormonal, and the ADHD just sort of made it worse. I wasn’t diagnosed at that time. Since then, I’ve gained control over the temper (and the desire to “HULK SMASH” things, not people….), and the realization it’s frustration, not actually anger I was feeling. The main inpetus for getting my assessment was the implementation of a zero tolerance for violence in the workplace, where even an angry outburst could jeopardize my job.

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered to my horror after more than a year of non-stop multiple stressors, I’m failing at my job. The stress is causing anxiety, which is causing sleep issues (trying getting a racing mind to stop at 1 am. knowing you’re supposed to be up at 6:30 a.m.), which means my meds aren’t working effectively, and therefore I’m not working effectively, which adds to the stress, which raises the anxiety…. and the wheels have started to fall off the cart.

It actually took the workshop on Feb. 27 for me to realize all of this, and take steps to try to help myself. I’m changing part of my workload for something less demanding (less pressure from clients, and less chance to screw up….). I’m reaching out to a former therapist of mine, who helped me with depression when I was in my 20’s. Luckily, when I was going through the assessment for ADHD, I found out she’s also treating adult ADHD. (BONUS!) so I’m presently trying to get in to see her to try to find a more effective way of dealing with some of the stressors. Other changes I’ve been trying to deal with that were causing stress, I’ve backed off from, just to give myself a break.

There are still times at work I feel like I can’t do anything right, but I do know I’m making the right moves for myself at this time. Hopefully, I’ll get this worked out, soon. I’m exhausted, in so many ways right now, its an effort just trying to get anything done right now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A lot of times those Type-A overachieving bully types also turn out to be ADD. My father is one. I’m one.

Good luck. I’m really sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like the new boss has made this personal.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to let everyone my Supervisor found out that I would not be bullied and he moved on to other victims. They saw that he would go away when they also refused to be bullied and one even has him up on charges with human rights. He seldom comes out of the his office on the work floor and has been visited a number of times by his higher ups. It just proves that bullies can be stood up to successfully.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bullies can be stood up to successfully, sometimes. I’ve been going through a similar situation for a year now. I had eight years of sky-rocketing up the ladder due to excellence but the second my ADD came out I was forced to submit to a fitness for duty mental exam (which I passed with flying colors). In spite of passing their exam with their doctor HR still mandated that my doctors keep them informed of my medications, my appointment schedule, whether I miss or change any appointments, and if I do, why. I filed an internal complaint for harassment and discrimination and provided reams of quotes, detailed examples of policy violations and ADA violations, and recordings of meetings in which the discrimination occurred. In spite of all that the investigator claimed it came down to my word against theirs so they were not reprimanded.

In my case I think the threat of legal action made it worse. The violations were so gross and obvious the company lawyers figured I was going to sue no matter what so they decided that they had to find against me in all internal investigations else they would be providing me corroboration for my allegations.

I just wanted a severance package so I could care for my family until I got another job. Even though I’ve had two lawyers advise that my evidence is solid and I would win it would mean spending 3-7 years fighting it out in the courts. Its just not worth it. It kills me that they got away with it but the alternative was worse.

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, in the last week things have taken a nosedive at work. It’s gone beyond ridiculous and while before things were difficult for me, now I’m being bullied to the point that I am not able to do my job. I’m being dismissed when I am trying to convey important information to the point that I got a “yeah, whatever” from my BOSS when I was reminding the person picking up supplies of gaping holes in the grocery list we use to feed our children! Not only that, but I am being ganged up on by other staff who join in on the boss’s “here’s today’s take home message about the reasons you are a screw up.” It’s really hard to defend myself when it’s three to one, two of which outrank me and it’s 6 o’clock pm at the end of a split shift that started at 7 o’clock am and I am also winding down to the end of the effectiveness of that round of medication. I’m not articulate enough to stand my ground at that point. Quite frankly I don’t know what to do.

Your situation is far worse than mine wrong_writer. But all the same, I used to love this job so very much. I wish there was something I could tell you that would help more than “At least you are out of there and perhaps the next job will be better.” *hugs*

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hear you JayBird. I wish you the best and hope things work out for you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)