Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

This is getting ridiculous–will no one actually prescribe medication for me?

This is getting ridiculous–will no one actually prescribe medication for me?2012-04-07T06:53:17+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? This is getting ridiculous–will no one actually prescribe medication for me?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

nanaimo

I was diagnosed after a 6 hour long battery of tests by a psychologist. She told me my family Dr. would prescribe medication for me. I got a family doctor, and she says she can’t do it without a psychiatrist seeing me first. The psychiatrist affiliated with her clinic isn’t available for even meeting me until September.

Another doctor I heard about that she referred me to has not returned my call.

The third, and only other psychiatrist I could find in the Toronto area has a reputation for only taking new patients if they do a $2,000 assessment with him first. My assessment was covered by OSAP and I don’t have the funds to do another one!

I have a diagnosis. Why is getting treatment this difficult?

REPORT ABUSE

foogol

nanaimo

Thanks, Foogol. Unfortunately the majority of those links for the Toronto area are for treatment for children and adolescents.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Nanaimo, I’m in exactly the same situation as you and it’s driving me crazy. I really feel for you. I feel like I’m having to battle the world at the moment and it’s doing my physical and mental health no good at all. I’m looking at November and I was diagnosed last August.

Can you ask the psych to let you know if any cancellations come up? That might speed things along. Who do you complain to when treatment is not forthcoming? It’s worth a letter too perhaps.

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

I’m not sure what I can do aside from wait for one of the psychiatrists I was referred to. If neither get back to me within a few months I might try explaining my situation to the one I have yet to be referred to and hope that they’ll waive making me do another assessment.

Given my package of information from the psychological report, I see no reason why any doctor would need to do anything beyond using the free CADDRA assessment package if they wanted to re-diagnose me.

My family doctor also gave me an EKG that seems to have come back normal (I wasn’t given a report but I’ve been told they usually tell you there and then if there are any abnormalities). So that’s out of the way.

REPORT ABUSE

foogol

Try calling the University of Toronto Physiology dept. Talk with faculty member.. The link is in general for you to contact them and see if they can help with your situation.. They probably have heard of a case as yours and can further assist you..

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

Foogol, do you mean the psychiatry department?

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

PS: I just came across Dr. J’s earlier post about new doctors graduating in July. That’s not so far away if I have no luck elsewhere. =)

REPORT ABUSE

foogol

I apologize as I tho I had inserted the url (link) to the University.. Anyhow here goes http://www.physiology.utoronto.ca/

Best of luck-

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

I just wanted to reply and let you guys know I got in with one of the psychiatrists! He did not charge me a fee over OHIP and once I became a patient he was very prompt about booking an appointment the next week. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post his information but if anyone in the GTA is still trying to find a psychiatrist that treats adult ADHD you can P.M. me and I’ll pass on his info. It wouldn’t hurt to try getting your family doctor to refer you to him.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)