Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

This is me:)

This is me:)2012-10-02T03:16:30+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story This is me:)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

firechild

Hi,

I’ve done some random postings here before soi figured maybe it was time todo an official “this is me” post

Right now I’m a 32 year old student doing my 3rd post secondary degree- this one is in library information and technology to become a library technician.

I was first officially diagnoses with ADD and learning disabilities when I was 5. However before becoming a housewife my Mother was a teacher who worked with special Ed students and she seemed to know something was up with me. She had me in several per school programs in order to keep me busy.

In grade school for the first two years I did a half day in a special Ed class and a half day in the regular class which I think really helped me. I’m actually a proponent of that style of system for kids with special needs. After grade 3 I would only spend maybe one class or two in the special Ed room. Also in grade 3 I was identified as gifted and was moved into a different school and program.

I knew I was different from other kids but didn’t know about ADD or LDs until grade five when a teacher told me my grades had been modified due to my learning disabilities…I was flabbergasted and had a frank talk with my parents. After that I became in charge of advocating for myself and my needs and was very good at talking tommy teachers.

Being overly neruotic about grades and school my ADD really didn’t cause me to much trouble on the academic side of high school but like many of us here I had a much harder time socially, never really fitting in except for a selected few. Things got better in both university and then later at college, but I still tend to get burned by ADD behaviours when it comes to social things.

When I left school though that’s when my ADD really became a problem. I started taking mess at 24 but I’ve had a hard time professionally. Are getting my BA I worked retail which I did okay at. Although I managed to get fired after a month from my first management job. I then went back to college for vet assistant. After excelling in School I was fired after 10 months frommy first job due to a misjudgement on my part by printing something on the company computer during my shift. After that though I worked at another animal hospital for nearly five years before getting burned out (mostly by management) and that why I’m back in school studying for a new career.

I have been lucky that I have an amazingly educated and understanding family. And I love being a student even with all the school related stress, but the real world scares me. I’m looking forward to being a library technician but I worry i’ll continue the cycle of working for a few years and then either getting burnt out or doing something stupid and getting fired. I also worry that my social issues may result In that i never having a special relationship (although it doesn’t help that I’m asexual and have very low self esteem)…..but that’s for another forum post.

So ya, that’s me. I love talking tones people and offering help please feel free to contact mr if you want :)

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Well let me be the first to “officially” welcome you!

WELCOME! hahaha a “special relationship” is over rated :P Even a special relationship doesnt cure the loneliness and social awkwardness… Unless im missing something? hahahahaha Ive decided my next job will be to stock shelves on a night shift in some store. hahahahaha Dont have to see anyone, or deal with them. Im a nurse. Im a great one at that. I do love people. But I do like being alone. Not really…. but its easier than trying to socialize. hahahahaha

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

πŸ˜† Funny, funny people! Okay, so I’m not first? *yawn* Like there’s no precedent for that eh! <insert silly face> Second will do me! G’day firechild! Do you light fires? I burnt a bookshelf or two in a library once upon a time! That learned ’em for expelling me!!!

*DISCLAIMER*: If any clipboard clutching bureaucratic brown-nosing gnomish lickspittle happens to peruse this I deny, refute, and completely refuse to associate my person with that outrageous assertion! Polygraph me, dammtt!!!!! πŸ˜† I’m an inveterate liar! Just ask my wife!!!! ‘Officer, don’t believe a word he says! He might not even be Allan bloody Wallace! πŸ™„

REPORT ABUSE

firechild

Lol I enjoy candles but no arson in my background luckily, despite leaving candles burning and going off to school forgetting to blow them out

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Fires??? I can think of 1 2 3 4 at least four times the fire department has been called out for grass fires because I was stupid, walked off and forgot, etc.

Although one time was not my fault. My son had been cutting the grass and smelled smoke. He shut off the mower and watched it for a while. Thinking it was ok, he went inside the house for a few minutes. He walked out of the house in time to see a huge mushroom shaped fireball ascend skyward from the mower. The mower was still under warranty. I was told to bring it in so they could look at it. It was all charred with the paint and tires burnt off the thing. All the plastic was burnt away. The headlight reflectors hung down in front dangling by the wires. Lead from the battery was melted into a big glob.

I got a full refund. I later heard of a recall, something to do with the fuel system.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

hahahahahaha thats halarious KC! At my parents house my mom always has a candle burning. I always destroy it playing with the hot wax. Ive accidentally lit my parents carpet on fire when I was a teen… Almost lit the forest on fire. Apparently you shouldnt hold a bottle full of gas close to a flame… It jumped right onto the bottle and lit it on fire! My friend then shook the bottle and the fire flew out onto my leg and all over the ground. Gosh it was sooooooooooo funny! I was jumping up and down on one leg slapping the other trying to get to put it out. She was trying to get the fire out on the ground. Oh my. Good times!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Have you tried blowing up barrels?

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

No. The extent of my blowing up things is filling up tinfoil with gun powder and packing it tight then throwing it into the fire. Pretty lame I know… But my husband was once hit with the shrapnel from the tin foil. That was pretty funny. Don’t tell him that though ;)

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

I used to think my little girl was a pyro – she was so fascinated with fires and has a thing for candles. Turns out she just forgets to blow them out before leaving the house. And she’s an ADHDer like me.

I think God has assigned a whole army of angels to watch over his ADHD kids. He must, otherwise most of us would end up on His doorstep a little early, what with all the fire, floods (from unwatched filling tubs) and car accidents we seem to get into.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Probably fifty years ago, my grandmother told me she once found a box my father had when he was little. When she asked what was in it, he just replied “powder.” She threw it into the fire. It was gun powder!!! 😯 πŸ˜† πŸ™„

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

I once caught the wall of my work on fire. I worked in a mall doing floral arrangements. Turned on the hot plate to melt some glue and went to get some water while it heated up. When I returned the back wall was lit up with flames. Fire department said it was probably a faulty hot plate. I said I had it on low but to be honest I probably had it on high so it would “go faster”

Guess that’s a good one for never ending ADD humor.

Also in a black out when using candles do not lean over the candle so you can see better. That was the bangs on fire incident when I was a teenager. They have since grown back. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

hahahahaha I did that once MissWho! When I was working as a line cook… I had something in a convectional oven and opened the doors in a rush not thinking, stuck my head in… My eyes stung instantly and I felt my eye lashes curl! Luckily I wasn’t burned. Cheap effective eye lash curling method once you get over being blinded.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)