Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Three Steps Forward Two Steps Back…….UGH!!

Three Steps Forward Two Steps Back…….UGH!!2011-04-08T22:13:12+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Motivation/Staying on Track Three Steps Forward Two Steps Back…….UGH!!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Last week I went back to college after getting an AS 15 years ago. Oh the excitement!! choosing my classes, getting my books, shiny new pens, crisp clean paper,and a totally cool book bag! The first day I was shaky but made it through. The second day, after dealing with lost paperwork at the financial aid office, not finding my class room and walking in late I had a full on melt down. I had to leave the class I had finally found because the tears had started and wouldn’t stop. Since then i’ve missed at least one class each day and didn’t even go today. I know it’s still early enough to recoup but I’m embarrassed and disheartened. My ego is wounded and I’m overwhelmed.At this point I’m not worried about my ability to do the work . I’m worried that I won’t get myself to school, that this will spiral down into me giving up.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Oh No! Its so exciting that you’re going back to school, you’re so brave! I took a class a while ago and it was the first time in over 30 years that I’d been in school. I was a wreck, complete wreck. It was even night school in a “women in Transition” program, so I was around others just like me. Luckily I had a friend taking the same class but I was so nervous I thought I would pass out. Sounds crazy to some people, but that was me.

Please dont give up! YOu made it to the class, you had a little melt down….so what. Get back in there and think ahead… or don’t think at all… just get to the class. Like woody allen says, 99% of the job is showing up. If you think you’re taking on too much of a load, cut down on your classes until you get acclimated, then you can add more next semester. Hey, its been fifteen years, whats an extra semester. Don’t be too hard on yourself, this is a big step. You’re an inspiration and now I”M counting on you :) You can do it! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re so right. It can’t be any worse than the first couple days and I survived those. LOL I can do it! I will do it!! I am doing it!! Thank you :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

After 15 years, you’re a mature student, so hang in there. Things are likely not as bad as you think they are. And if they are, showing up will definitely help. Set some little goals for yourself and give yourself a reward for achieving them (when I went back to school, every passed exam was a dinner out). Bit by bit, you’ll get there!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just stick with it, it is tuff for a reason and its because you are challenging yourself, you’re out side of your comfort zone and that is why it feels like a struggle. These struggles though are great they will end up being rewarding. Dont focus on the negative and trust me I know how hard it can be.

Just dig your heels in bite down and hold on and you will get through and feel as if you have climbed a mountain. 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Amazon….p.s. I forgot to mention… my fears were all for naught. I ended up getting the highest grade in the class! I have a feeling you will do great. Amazonly!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)