Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Time Machine

Time Machine2012-09-18T20:43:28+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have struggled with add my whole life. I barely made it out of high school. I’m 25 now and I decided I want to help others with learning problems so I went back to school. Almost instantly the self doubt I had in high school came back. I don’t seem to have any confidence anymore, I feel almost the exact same way I did when I was 16. For some reason I am terrified to make any kind of social connection with my class mates or my teachers. Its like I’m running from any type of social situations. I knew that it wasn’t going to be easy but its like i stepped into a time machine. I moved away for school too and have none of my close friends here. I’m feeling very alone and am just wondering if anyone has had similar experience. Thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Hey glad to have you a long for the ADD ride!

I had the same experience in college. It did get easier for me as I was studying an art degree so it helped that there were a lot of other off-beat people like myself. I did feel off in all the general studies stuff. It was like I was an alien from another planet trying to learn their customs. Unlike the art students where we were all so weird it was normal and anyone who wasn’t an artist who took a class for fun wondered what the hell we were all about and how we could come up with all the creative stuff we did. I didn’t have an AD/HD diagnosis back then then but highly suspected it.

It would have been nice to know because still had to study and try twice as hard, fortunately there were other art students having the same issue so I wasn’t totally alone in that. But I still beat myself up a lot about my slowness. I did keep up a 3.9+ grade point but it did take extra effort.

My last job I had ended up in feeling like I was 16 again and back in high school because of the work environment. I’m older than you (44) and kept wondering how did I end up with all the same bullying people from grade school but now I’m a working professional? And the bullies are my co-workers and my boss. Or co-workers who just thought I was off in some sort of way. Knowing now what I have shed a whole new light on things. I was diagnosed a couple of months before the last full time job ended. Getting over the self doubt takes time and some tenacity which is trait us Adder’s have in our favor.

The only advice I would give to you is be patient. I know that’s not one of our natural abilities. It takes time to form new friendships and you just moved away for college. That’s a life changing stressor. So give yourself some time to adjust and be o.k with feeling off for a while. Over the years I can look back and a see how some of my friendships really took some time to evolve and others were instant. I don’t feel other people are immune to this. This is stuff everyone deals with. But with ADD I have found I do get sensitive to new places and people and at time takes me a bit longer to settle in.

But have fun while your in college. I think it’s so great you are studying to help others with learning problems. That is one thing I would like to explore some more. I have thought about teaching art to kids or maybe something in ADD coaching. So good luck to you! Happy you’re here.

FYI – I totally flunked out of High-school and finally got my diploma when I was 25. Then went on to win a Dean’s scholarship award in college. So you never know what can happen. : )

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks a lot for the advice. I really apreciate the feedback. I think your right and I’ll get more comfortable over time. Thanks a lot! :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)