Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Tip Of The Tongue Phenomenon

Tip Of The Tongue Phenomenon2011-01-15T16:31:54+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Tip Of The Tongue Phenomenon

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read about this in my Psyc text and was wondering if it is ADD related or more so to do with a Learning Disability or both? I have both and always have this “phenomenon. after i read the section where it happens on average a couple times a week i was stunned. This happens to me a couple of times an hour.

I was also wondering if it could help me answer the issue of when I feel like i know the answer to a question but cant say it and when i do say it. I usually know answers on tests (like in math)and it feels different then when i dont know. Me and my mom are close and talk alot about this stuff and we are always wondering if i do know the answer or if i in fact dont know it .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

oops i wrote this wrong its instead of “this happens to me a couple of times an hour” its supposed to be “a couple of times a day”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In other words you know what your talking about, but nobody else understands?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

kind of .. but more like i know what the answer is but i just cant say it or write it

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what you’re talking about. As far as I know, it happens to everyone, but you’ll have to wait for an expert’s reply to see if it’s at all related to ADD.

Though I do have ADD and I can say that it happens to me all the time, although it may be because the difficulty sleeping associated with ADD often makes me tired and thus not function that well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think an important piece of info is your age. As we get older our ability to recall information lessens without regard to AD(H)D or any learning disabilities. In other words, a normal part of aging is slower or no recall of information. Lack of sleep, exhaustion, stress, and the time of day or distractions can also inhibit recall.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

well lets just say im in my first year of university, i dunno i was just wondering because i have an excellent memory (accoding to the testing i did) and maybe it was the orginization/encoding of information …

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Age aside (I’m fifty now so this is common for people my age), I’ve had this happen every day, several times a day all of my life. And it’s not just about knowing “the answer” but not being able to recall it. It’s about losing common (VERY common) words, forgetting how to spell them or forgetting them altogether, and people’s names.

Tell me your name and then reach out to shake my hand, and I’ve already forgotten it.

Names in particular are practically impossible for me to recall. But then, that’s complicated by the fact that I have Asperger’s as well, which causes the “importance” of recalling a name to be somewhat reduced. It doesn’t become important to me until the name is “imprinted.” And that takes quite a lot of repetitive use of a person’s name for me. It usually takes me a couple of days to recall three or four fellow employee’s names. Longer for more of them.

Been like that for as long as I can remember, which is at least a few days anyway. ;-)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)