Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Toronto Mindful Attention/Meditation for ADHD

Toronto Mindful Attention/Meditation for ADHD2012-11-08T04:32:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies Toronto Mindful Attention/Meditation for ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

allovertheplace

There’s a course starting in January on Tuesday afternoons (4-6) led by Dr. John Fleming- I believe he’s been involved with totallyadd.com previously in a webinar (?). I thought I would post the course info here in case anyone was interested and able to attend (I have no involvement in the course except to hopefully attend!)

http://www.mindfulnessstudies.com/mindfulness-based-therapies/mbct-mindful-attention-for-adhd/

Here’s the info from their website:

Mindful attention for ADHD:

Improve your ability to focus and reduce impulsivity using techniques designed for ADHD.

As unlikely as it might sound, mindfulness meditation can be highly effective in helping people live successfully with ADHD. While most people with ADHD might think meditation is impossible for someone with such a busy and disorganized mind, this is actually the reason it is so beneficial. Complete stillness or the ability to “empty your mind” is not required.

Prescription medication can be incredibly helpful in reducing some of the symptoms of ADHD. However, it does not change a lifetime of habits and is not effective for everyone. Mindfulness can provide a set of tools to face the inherent difficulties of living with ADHD.

This program will combine information about coping with ADHD with techniques from the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program. Lidia Zylowska and colleagues at UCLA adapted these techniques specifically for people with ADHD.

To achieve maximum benefit from the course, we ask that you be willing to commit to an average of 15 minutes a day of exercises throughout the eight weeks of the course.

Who should attend

Adults (18 and over) suffering from ADHD. A referral from a medical doctor and a formal diagnosis of ADHD is required.

Dates

Tuesday afternoons: from Tuesday, Jan. 22 — Tuesday, Mar. 19, 2013 | 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Facilitators

Dr. John Fleming MD

1466 Bathurst Street, #306,

Toronto, ON M5R 3S3

Registration

Please register at least one week in advance of the session you wish to attend. Registration is limited to 20 people to ensure that all participants receive optimal attention.

Fee: $700 (includes handouts and CD). Those with extended healthcare benefits (third-party insurance) may be eligible for reimbursement.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Unfortunately, the price is prohibitive, given how many of us are unemployed/underemployed, with no medical insurance.

(sigh)

REPORT ABUSE

allovertheplace

Hi Larynxa,

I know. I wondered if they might have a sliding scale or something similar but I didn’t inquire.

That would be logical and evident of forethought; I just put it on my credit card to worry about later.

😯

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

Hi allovertheplace,

I took a look at their website and the Centre does have a bursary program: http://www.mindfulnessstudies.com/social-program/our-bursary-program/.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)