Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)2013-10-25T12:56:04+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

JimC.
    Participant

I know this is new, but has anyone any experience with this treatment at all specific to ADHD?  Any comments?  Thanks, Jimhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

My wife got one of these things (click on link) http://www.fisherwallace.com/transcranial-magnetic-stimulator?gclid=CIm8xemCs7oCFYg7Mgodjj0A5w to help with sleep issues.  It sends electrical impulses.  I call it her shock collar, even though it is held in place by a head band rather than around the neck.  I always think of Dr. Frankenstein when I see the thing.

She seems to get a benefit from it when she remembers to use it.  I haven’t tried it.  I think it may have some merit, but results probably vary from person to person.  Kind of like ADHD meds, one size does not fit all so to speak.

If money is not an issue, you might give it a try, although I doubt it would provide any lasting results.  I believe we got ours at some sort of discount, maybe as one that had been returned for refund.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

@kc5jck:  looks like they are set up to sell online into the USA only. I don’t live there. thanks though, Jim

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I have heard about this for treating depression, and for helping with sleep issues. I didn’t think of the possibility for ADHD.

I remember seeing a sort of pad with magnets in it at the drugstore. The idea was that you put it under your head when you sleep at night and it’s supposed to help with either sleep or depression, forget which. it was kind of pricey so I didn’t really pay much attention. But I do sometimes think maybe I should give it a try. Sounds like a gimmick though.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

With all the metal I have in my mouth, I can just imagine what would happen if I put all those magnets anywhere near my head…

Yipes!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I went and looked at the store’s website and the magnetic pad is actually meant for pain relief it seems. I think I had seen something on TV about using high powered magnets to treat depression and I got the idea when I saw it that maybe it would help a little. If it truly helps with pain relief that would be enough to make it worthwhile for me.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

@Larynxa,

With all the metal I have in my mouth, I can just imagine what would happen if I put all those magnets anywhere near my head…

Might have to watch those lose screws too!

Just kidding. I’ve heard about the magnetic therapy for pain and other circulatory issues, I don’t know if is has anything to do with iron in the blood or if it’s just the frequencies generated that effect the electrical impulses in the nervous system.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Good one @Evelyn. 😆

Now that you mention it perhaps it would be wise for me to avoid magnets too.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

@Blackdog

Yeah! I’m careful around electrical wiring outside and around the house too. They all have magnetic fields and frequencies. It was suggested that a TV in the bedroom was a no no, especially if it was closer than 25 feet from your body, even if it was outside your bedroom but close to the wall where your head is; supposedly it interrupts your natural magnetic field.

I get enough interruptions from inside my head, why take chances?

The cool thing is that the heart has a larger magnetic field than the brain, and when two people hug making sure that their hearts are as close together as possible, (fully clothed) that the hearts will adjust to each others pace and beat, and the combined magnetic field will actually generate a warmth or glow that can last from 15 minutes to an hour after the embrace ends, and that it has health promoting effects that last much longer.

If you’re a shirt pocket guy, empty those pockets first.

Heart energy, as my doctor calls it. He’s not one of those new age doctors but he is a forward thinking one. He has managed to avoid affiliating himself with one of the big hospitals, so he still has time to actually sit and talk to his patients. Unfortunately I can only afford to see him on rare occasions, but he is worth the money.

Well it’s way past my bedtime, nighty nite!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I firmly believe that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to our body, mind, and spirit. I groan at most of the “new age” stuff, but a lot of it does work, at least in some way. And belief is a powerful thing. Just fully believing that you will get better is sometimes all it takes. And as Dr. Ruth used to say: “If it feels good, and it doesn’t hurt anybody, then it’s OK!”

Maybe the magnets would interfere with the natural rattle of the loose screws. Or maybe it would make them rattle in a more orderly fashion. Or maybe….

my brain is too tired right now to be cleaver.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

Just to set the record straight, I was interested in TMS specifically, I don’t have an interest in the drugstore head magnet apparatus.  Maybe this will help? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20521875

A total of 13 patients (seven males, six females) who fulfilled the criteria for adult ADHD, according to DSM-IV criteria gave informed consent and were enrolled. There was a specific beneficial effect on attention 10 minutes after a real rTMS course. The post-real rTMS attention score improved significantly (M=3.56, SD=0.39) compared to the pre-real rTMS attention score (M=3.31, SD=0.5) [t(12)=2.235, P < 0.05]. TMS had no effect on measures of mood and anxiety. The sham rTMS had no effect whatsoever.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)