Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Transition from hypoactive to hyperactive…not smooth!!!

Transition from hypoactive to hyperactive…not smooth!!!2011-02-03T16:04:35+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Transition from hypoactive to hyperactive…not smooth!!!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure how many have read You Mean I’m Not Crazy, Lazy or Stupid. I just started it, and it’s fantastic so far. Informed, but informal. One of the aspects discussed in the first chapters is the idea of hypoactivity being just as present as hyperactivity. I relate.

This is especially apparent when it comes to work…both work work and home work. My habit (since I can remember…at least the last 20 years and I’m 29) is to be completely unproductive up to the point where I’m so behind on a deadline that the task cannot be avoided. I crave that rush I get when I start working (2 hours before the exam, big meeting, deadline of any kind), and then I’m accustomed to the disappointment of not finishing on time or the quality of my work being below potential.

It’s funny. I actually have a meeting in 4 hours that I’ve been supposedly prepping for since last week…havent started…and I decided to register for this site and make this contribution before I start the task at hand. I know…it’s so crazy. I’ve just been doing it for so long that it feels normal.

Gotta go…I feel the rush!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just joined the site and read your post. I can totally relate and have been operating like this at both home and work. It feels like it’s getting worse! I’ve been on various meds over the past 5 years and they all eventually stop working. I’m currently investigating coaching options.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

There are a lot of practical tips on this site. Keep searching and experimenting. If you’re feeling overloaded, stop and decide on ONE thing to focus on now.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I was president of many clubs and as the event drew near, I would still have tons of things to do. One event I needed at table, I got the table, but forgot to get the room. The group who informed me I got the table, but had no room. When I got the room I had to decide which place of the room I wanted. The club members could get the side of the windows in front of them giving natural light, but I would also be working at the event and the windows would become a problem. We could set up by the doors as students come into the cafeteria we would be right there. Again I would be working and I knew I would stand in front of the doors, and talk to the students. The best bet was to just have the advisers deal with it, because one, I was screaming, kicking at the question, two, I just wanted the problem to go away, and three I had to prepare a speech for the speaker. Luckily, the adviser realized I was stressed out and took over.

One time I was setting up at six in the morning. Went back to me room, then went to class. After class went to tea time, a place to mingle and talk to people, and learn different cultures. One person came up to me and asked, “You are everywhere, and nowhere at the same time. You have energy and then you just disappear.”

I was knitting trying to relax my mind on the tasks that I still didn’t complete. Then my cell phone rang. It was the adviser. She was wondering where I was. People were looking for me and thought I had a break down of some sort. That did not help that a group of friends felt like I was shutting the out, because I talked too much, or was just gone. They thought, that I thought my problems were to great for them. With the guilt of scaring my adviser for the club and my friends, tea was what saved me. This other member from another club wanted me to do something, and I just wanted to relax. So I ran into the bathroom and checked my phone. I got five text messages from friends wondering where on earth I was. The adviser was trying to track me down to make sure everything was ready, finals were three weeks away, and all I wanted to do was to run and hide.

I came out of the bathroom. Meant the speaker and adviser. A sured adviser I was fine, just more on my plate then normal. Oh, and I had an essay, do next week, which I forgot to start. Shook the homework out of my mind, and made sure speaker and adviser were fine and happy. My friends then found me gave me a hug, which turned into an intervention, suggesting I go to the counseling center and get help for stress. My friends then left.

The event went well and the speaker acknowledge which I was very uncomfortable with. I do not like being the center of attention. My professor, who had use write about us knew I had ADD. It was the hardest paper I wrote, but they wanted to know almost everything about me. He smiled and stated, great job. All I could think of was the homework I had, the other event coming up, and my planner, which was also my assignment notepad was filled for the next three weeks. Plush I had to make an appointment with the counseling center.

Got a counselor and forgot to tell them about my ADD. I was tested for depression and failed, but had a lot of anxiety. The counselor wanted me to make an appointment with this doctor to get me anxiety pills. Long story short, I forgot to make the appointment, because my friends wouldn’t remind me. I went to counseling center with a group of friends if that is telling them something.

I sort of forgot what I was writing about, I hope this fits.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)