Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Tried Adderall rx 20mg. Don't feel much different?

Tried Adderall rx 20mg. Don't feel much different?2013-01-04T18:33:34+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Tried Adderall rx 20mg. Don't feel much different?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

thisguy

Finally got a script for 7 filled. Took it 2 hours ago. I notice I dont power walk and pace around in circles. My body is slowed down and I dont get irritated at all!!!

But my head still has all these flapping images running around and its still hard to think! Not sure what to think about it.  What can I do to slow down my brain some so I can think of this that I want to think of instead of my thoughts being pushed away?

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

If this is Day One of starting a new script, give it a few days or even a bit longer. There are not always instant results.  It sounds like you’re having some positive response, so that’s a good start.

If you give the new prescription some time and you get some positive result but not as much as you like, then your doc will likely adjust the script or maybe even add another med.

ADDers are noted for patience, but it’s required when using meds. But it’s usually worth it.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

It usually takes at least 3 weeks for your body to get used to a new med.

The best way for you & your doctor to determine if a med is working for you or not, is for you to keep a journal.

Keep it simple.  Note how much you took, and what time.  Note good effects (mental & physical).  Note any bad effects (mental & physical).  Note any contributing factors (for example, having a bad day at work,  having a great chat with a friend, or drinking too much coffee).

Take the journal with you when you meet with your doctor again.

This is much easier, and more reliable, than trying to remember what you did, each day!

REPORT ABUSE

kjacnm

thisguy, I think you ARE feeling different. You said you feel like you don’t power walk in circles and that you don’t get irritated. Yeah! That is the medication. Even if this is all you get from the medication (thought it probably is just the beginning), you have two less things that challenge you, thus you have more power available to tackle your other challenges. This is how medications help ADD; they do part, you do part.
    Excellent work that you got an rx, great effort!
    KJ

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Dr. J. says that you can’t expect all of your symptoms to completely disappear, and that you can’t treat all of them at once.

So, you need to focus on the 2 or 3 symptoms that are causing you the most problems, and work on treating *just* them.  After a while, when the meds & the habits you’ve built are controlling those first symptoms, then you can look at treating a couple of the others.  And so on.

It’s a lifelong process, and you’ll have good days & bad days, but it’s worth the effort!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

@thisguy:

This falls under the “results may vary”. It sounds like Adderall is working on some of your ADD symptoms.

This is what I did:

I talked with my wife and my counselor about which ADD symptoms impaired me the most. When I started medication, I recorded what symptoms the medication was affecting. I took detailed notes and so did my wife. When we went to the doctors, we had notes of our observations, and were able to assess how the medication was helping. I then selected the medication, dose and timing that had the greatest effect, with the least side effects.

“Medications will not cure ADD. There is no cure” I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ADD is a condition you have. It is how your brain is wired. It cannot be rewired, or made normal with a pill. The right medication, will reduce some of your symptoms so you can use coping strategies, and maybe sit still long enough to get results from counseling.

I use books to get more information on ADD, counseling to deal with the emotional wreckage left behind in the wake of living 50+ years of undiagnosed ADD, and coaching to help me look ahead and improve my situation.

You will notice there is no cure in there, no fix, and no eliminate. There is only reduce and cope.

All is not lost! You have a brain that can run parallel tracks of thought, and think circles around the normal brain because we do not think linearly. Once you figure out how to harness that kind of power, you will be introduced to a whole new kind of frustration! 🙂 That is the one that comes from waiting for the other people in the room to catch up.

REPORT ABUSE

thisguy

Can some one help me figure out what exactly I should tell my doc tomorrow morning so I wont confuse her or myself? It for the adderal 20mg rx 1x day for 1 week

Ok so  I actually dont feel that different at all. I thought I was less irretated but apperently not. Although I have been under tones of stress lately.

Same racing ramdom thoughts. The only slight difference this medication helps me with is: I dont wake up 20 times during the night, its more like a times a night couple now, I feel more rested and can wake up better now. I still do pace back and forth but not as much and not as fast because of wanting to go do something.  I try to think of something  i’d like to go  do, then I remember what I have to do. Then I get so overwhelmed with thinking of doing things …..Explosion!!! Then I sit and do nothing .

With the meds Im up moving around more doing them things but one thing takes way to damn long still because I’m wating to go or have to go do a million other things that some times i can or cant think of.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)