Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Trouble expressing yourself verbally?

Trouble expressing yourself verbally?2013-01-21T00:58:24+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Trouble expressing yourself verbally?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

phoenixmagicgirl

A little about me…I’m 28 years old and have been dealing with A.D.D. since I was born. (I was premature at birth and as a result I have A.D.D. Inattentive Type) I’m currently in college for the third time and am taking a speech class about interpersonal communication and have recently become very frustrated with having trouble expressing what I want to say..my boss (who has what I have)  told me it was having a bunch of cars in an intersection of a highway and there is a traffic jam  and you can’t get out what you want to say… long story short..does anyone else have this problem and do you have any advice on what to do? Thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

I find having pen and paper in hand during conversation helps. Aside from helping the obvious long-term memory of the conversation, it helps with verbal communication  because: #1 – it lets you organize your thoughts; #2 – it places less reliance on working memory because you can jot down the things you want to remember to say; and #3 – it helps you “park” a topic that you don’t want to respond to impulsively if the timing isn’t favourable.

An extra tip: draw a line vertically down the the page. On the left, minute the conversation. On the right, next to the relevant topic, write the questions or comments that you want to mention.

The key of course is to actually employ these strategies while you have pen and paper in hand, and not just doodle or whatever. I attend a lot of meetings in my job and this technique is a huge help to me. I’d be lost without it.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Excellent ideas!, I’m gonna try that putting a line d0wn the middle of the page idea. My only fine tune adjustment/personalization would be to draw a line across the bottom. About 3 inches from the bottom for a designated doodle area (DDA zone) Sound cool?. It’s not like I’m gonna be able to sit there with a pen, and piece of paper without doodling. I’ll give it a shot though. I guess doodling can sometimes make me seem like I’m bored. Most folks… well, some folks who don’t have ADHD are boring. 🙂

And maybe draw a couple boxes at both corners near the top for more DDA’s. And make all kinds of freaky frames around the lines of my DDA’s like a frame because it’s all artwork that I used to make cool backrounds for web sites with. Blow it up real huge on my old scanner and add a bunch of color and shading and depth…

What were we talking about?

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

LOL, @robbo; please post the end result for us. Sounds amazing! 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

I have trouble expressing myself verbally AND on paper.  Yikes!  Outlines are my friend though.  I have to get my thoughts together beforehand using outlines for any kind of meeting or something where I have to lead others.  I usually have to go back and modify/edit what I’m going to say, because other thoughts will run from it, and there’s got to be a way to organize it.  I’ll put it away and come back to it later, and that helps tremendously.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)