Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Twitter: the ADDer's worst nightmare

Twitter: the ADDer's worst nightmare2013-08-28T11:46:48+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Self-Employment Twitter: the ADDer's worst nightmare

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

ADDers blurt. “Oops, I can’t believe I just said that” is a hallmark of dopamine deficiency. We just can’t help ourselves from uttering whatever pops into our minds. It’s bad enough to offend a colleague, friend, or relative with an outburst or otherwise unfortunate choice of words. But in recent years, a few geniuses in Silicon Valley have given us an ADD-WMD: Twitter. Just think, now we are able to offend hundreds—maybe thousands—and/or spectacularly embarrass ourselves with just a few strokes of a finger.

It’s already a challenge for ADDers that the velocity of business and personal correspondence has increased exponentially as texting and e-mail have replaced pen and paper. There’s not as much time to rework our choice of words, our tone, our grammar. But Twitter is a cruel joke. Brevity can spawn dangerous spontaneity. And perhaps more alarmingly, we are all now broadcasters; every indiscrete or “illiterate” comment is out there for the world to see.

It’s unfortunate that there is so much pressure to participate in “social media.” For example, many ADDers are in sales and marketing, and marketeers are expected to be conversant with and thus engaged in all the hot new technologies. If only they weren’t so potentially red-hot.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I just don’t get twitter. I only have an account because I wanted to take part in the Bell Let’s Talk thing for mental health awareness. But in the handful of times I have used it I definitely managed to embarrass myself. Same with Facebook.

I am a lot better now than I was when I first got online and started commenting on things like YouTube and various forums. I try to really take my time now and read over every post at least twice.  My biggest problem is that I am very snarky and sarcastic. And I just can’t resist that oh so clever comment once it pops into my head.

REPORT ABUSE

sar316

I agree and thats why I draw the line of social media sites to facebook. I don’t care to lose anymore time to seeing, hearing and reading about what everyone else is up to in a day. Mostly because I can’t keep track of what only I do in a day. Secondly people post things that I find very annoying and very difficult not to respond to in a very sarcastic, ‘get your head out of your butt, its not a hat’ kind of way. I feel it’s asking for trouble when I start to read what others are willing to post.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Mhmm, yep, I haven’t done too badly on facebook. But haven’t done twitter at all. I think the reason I haven’t goofed up badly on facebook is because I get all the impulsive ideas out of my system here first!. lol.

So thanks for being so patient with me gang. 🙂

This thread reminds me of just how grateful I am to have found TADD. It’s a great community to have done some of my growing up in.

I look foreword to many more years of growing up here. And I don’t expect to ever become anything like a perfectly grown up man.  I do feel grateful for the progress I’ve made, that’s for sure.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)