Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

UGGG WHY SO CONTROVERSIAL

UGGG WHY SO CONTROVERSIAL2011-12-17T14:51:03+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Adults UGGG WHY SO CONTROVERSIAL

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My name is megan and I am new to this thing but I have recently been diagnosed roughly 6 months ago by a psychiatrist with ADHD….i have been always driven and moving and couldnt sit down leading to issues in relationship with my ex husband and even relationships with ppl as it caused me to really annoy ppl…I was always on the go and told I have too much energy and in first grade my teacher wanted to se4t me back saying i had hand writing like chicken scratch and could sit still so she sent me to “special” classes until my parents found out and they flipped…i knew there was always something wrong as I was very smart and could recite everything in conversation but then couldnt get my damn brain to work on an exam…i literally got so bad in college it became where my professor pulled me aside bc of blurting out answers and inappropriatly answering before she finished…its like i couldnt wait..always on the go and ended up being like charlied brown…the person spoke i watched their lips….then when they finished after not paying attention to anything or partially what they said i spoke…i have not had too many issues with grades just some issues like in math it was a game for me so i excel there and science bc we moved but sadly i talked so much in math to a girl she failed and i barely passed….i always felt bubbly and happy and loved ppl and social interaction unless i felt I annoyed pppl when i got to college bc so many told me I was a chatter box and couldnt get a word in edge-wise when they spoke.

even my own gpa who is biologically programmed to love me couldnt stand to be near me…sadly even in college when i stayed away from coffee i did not help…sadly the coffee helped to calm me down and my brain to function and before i got pregnant red bull really helped..i could focus but still me but it wasnt healthy…i know ppl said excercise but I WAS …i would work 10 hr shifts in the pharmacy then run 2-3 MILES BEFORE EVEN GOING TO BED AND EVEN THAT WASNT ENOUGH FOR ME TO FALL ASLEEP…i would eventually dose off but then one md said ADHD DOESNT EXIST IN ADULTS…sadly my 82 year old gpa on my dad side never got meds bc he was military and he just recently stopped playing tennis and roller blading and it is driving him nuts bc he has the same issues but he doesnt believe in meds…BUT I AM A NURSING STUDENT AND WANT TO GO FAR

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS ISSUE…i was started on concerta…o MY GOSH NEVER WISH THAT ON MY WORST ENEMY…SERIOUSLY THAT STUFF WAS HORRID…A BOMB COULD FALL AND I WOULD JUST BE LIEK …HMM THATS ODD…I QUIT RUNNING BC IT MADE ME WANT TO SLEEP…then they switched to adderall 10 mg twice a day and it has worked wnders but now it is back ordered and my md gives it to me but my anxiety has heightened on it so she sent me back to my psychiatrist bc she doesnt feel comfortable giving me any antianxieties but i dont want any other narcotic and i told her that but she said the buspar isnt working so she said i have to talk to the psychiatrsit bc he will know…she wanted to up my dose of adderall bc im still SUPER ENERGIZEd but i jus want the lowest dose im scared to death bc it can be addictive….AND THIS IS AFTER THEY MISDIAGNOSED ME AT A REGULAR MD OFFICE THEY SAID MAYBE YOUR DEPRESSED…HMM ENERGY AND DEPRESSED…sadly this was the office that said ADHD isnt in adults …so after multiple antidepressants I finally pd to go see my wonderful psychiatrist whom i love bc he is awesome just expensive….i feel so alone especially when i was looking for a psychiatrist one told me i was dilirious and went through a whole damn spew on how these drugs are bad and how adults dont need them and im thinking OMGS IM NOT A DRUG ADDICT which he scared the shit out of me so im constantly thinking im doing the wrong thing…like i just need to deal with it or if im truely nuts and this energy and attention issues and low test scores is just laziness ….has anyone felt this alone…my bf is so supportive bc his son has it and he understands and reminds me im not nuts and to not stop my adderall just bc of one person saying that…iv thought about strattera bc its not narcotic…but the adderall works…actually if i dont take it my nursing class including my professor will humor it and remind me bc if i forget the second dose they see i dont shut up but 15-30 min after my nose is stuck in the book and im seeing like i got a pare of new glasses….it calms me wayy down including my vital signs…BP, PULSE, EVERYTHING….including my family said they notice a difference and didnt want to admit it when i was little bc it was before associated with kids being bad in school and kinda considered retarded…..PLLZZZ HELP my family doesnt fully understand as i am the only one of the kids with ADHD they suspect my other sister has it too at 12…..:S im an odd case i dont hurt ppl i get frustrated and it takes a world of me tryin to get organized even on 10 mg i lose everything but so affraid to change to higher dose or even vyvanse like they asked but what would anyone do im sooooo sorry for this whole spew and soooo long…but appreciate all the answers as i feel sooo ALONE and sooo confused.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

You’ve come to the right place. There are lots of people with lots of, I think, good advice based on experience, education, and common sense. I’m not one of them. But they’ll come to your aid soon. Just keep checking back here.

In the mean time, look at the videos, other forums, and take the ADD test available somewhere else on this site.

Oh, and welcome, Megan. Do your have a cat?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ty so much sorry it is just frustrating my psych is the best and i love him it just erks me when they say that it doesnt exist in older ppl ….but hand the stuff out like candy to some children…i just hate that there are some ppl not with this disorder that make it hard for us ppl who do have it and dont misuse the medicine that is out there….bc without it im a. overly energized..super unorganized…freak

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

and no i dont have a cat..sadly my daughter is allergic to them :(

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Megan – If your gonna write a whole lot like you did above, Trashman suggested that you break the text into paragraphs to make it easier to read. After all, you’re writing to a bunch of attention deficits here. Probably dislexics and hyper people who are in a hurry to finish reading and get to the next post.

It’s sure easier, at least for me, to read a bunch of short paragraphs than one long one. Don’t try to annotate or write less, just break into paragraphs.

You might like the t shirt thread at

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1444

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah i gotcha i sort of noticed i had the same issue trying to read the long ones and kinda now just noticed it is really long…sometimes when i get going it just goes sadly….ill try to break it up..thanks so much :)

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Looks like a post by someone with a pretty good case of ADHD

(this is one of the shortest posts I’ve ever made)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

sadly this is true and after so many years of getting by and sadly learning at a young age that if i just did my homework and forced myself..(through headaches and bodyaches of making myself sit to do it)…..i learned that u can pass classes with atleast colorsB’s and get A’s in subjects i like so long as i added color and made it out as a game…fun times..:) sadly i have really strived to make myself become who I am today with like you all here have fought with myself knowing in could do better and more in life with help. sadly after 4 months of regular adderall 10 mg im starting to think i need different dosage as it doesnt seem to work as much i told them lowest dosage bc i was scared so only 10 mg twice a day but it only did minimal changes and test scores went up and it has changed my life but i think with proper dosage i could do up to my potential…sadly i get told i am highly intelligent but i dont loiok like it on paper…just average right there :S

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

For me, the only medication that has worked is the name brand ritalin. (Generics have made me terribly anxious.)

Tip for sleeping: Exercise is good, but I cannot (CANNOT) exercise with less than 4 hours before bedtime. I will be up all night. It’s an endorphins thing.

As for the haters… Their job is to hate. Your job is to be the best you that you can be. If the world was wired in a way that spontaneous idea generation (outbursts) were advantageous, where people needed to multitask more than focus, etc… Then people would be taking medication to be more like us. So let go of the guilt and judgement of others and do what feels right for you.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I’ve got a long list of items from the doc I saw about sleep issues (they can run with ADHD anyway, but I had some pretty bad sleep issues)

Don’t exercise in the evening – do it in the morning. Even the pros will tell you it’s the best time to do it not only due to the sleep connection, but because in the AM, it gets your body going for the day, blood/oxygen flow, metabolism, etc. – Exercise is not only more effective in the AM, it won’t interfere with sleep as it would in the evening.

Don’t shower less than about 4 hours before bed time. the shower will tend to wake the body and get it prepared for action, a shower in the evening can interfere with sleep.

No TV the last hour before bed unless it’s a really boring show………. no computer/internet before bed, similar issues, it tends to get your head more awakened and alert, so can interfere with sleep. If you read, LOW light only. Bright lights tell the body it’s time to wake and go. If you read, make it something boring, not exciting.

The list was quite long and I’ve probably missed a lot or messed up somewhere……

Multitasking is a myth. The human brain time-slices, not multi-tasks. In time slicing, it switches back and forth – even if quickly so you don’t think that’s what it is doing. In an ordinary person with normal attention spans, and a normal ability to quickly focus on new things, they can time slice more effeciently.

Fact is, when you think you are, or are trying to multi-task, it will actually take longer to complete the list of tasks, and you’ll remember less of each, and the number of mistakes increases as opposed to doing that list of tasks one at a time.

(there’s been a lot of testing on this by universities and other groups – the research is out there)

Further, attempting to multi-task will actually lead you do ADHD symptoms and memory issues as you age. For those with ADHD and/or memory issues – it ain’t gonna get better. Attempting to keep up multi-tasking actually stresses the brain in a bad way and when you reach into your 50s or there-abouts, you’ll pay for it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)