Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

umm…what?

umm…what?2013-09-04T08:34:21+00:00
Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jojosephine

I am getting close to taking medication. I just stumbled upon this video. and now I am scared. WTH?? I thought it wasn’t addicitive. Listed by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration as highly addictive? If my husband sees this he will never put our ADHD child on medication. and he will because he will google it and stumble upon it.

http://youtu.be/GbuEgLQb69E

REPORT ABUSE

wanderquest

I trust my doctor-period.

I did look up the guy who posted the video(s). He has an entire line of things to sell you. Ask yourself what are his interests vs. your doctor who prescribes a generic pill that costs next to nothing on an expired patent. Who is set to profit?  His program could be legit, but fearmongering  to sell is a bully tactic.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I agree.  You have to look at the source of the information. And you have to check more than one source.

There are always some concerns with any medication. And many of the ones used to treat ADHD are narcotics so addiction is a possibility with long term use. I wouldn’t say that they are highly addictive, but I don’t have a lot of experience with them. Others could offer a more informed opinion.

As with anything, you have to weigh the risks vs. the benefits. And remember each individual reacts differently. I have never developed an addiction to anything despite my best efforts to do so.  But some people become addicted very easily. Your family history can give you some insight there, since genetics often plays a role in addiction.

Just research all of your options and discuss it with your husband and see if you can reach a consensus on the issue. If not, then there are non-medicinal methods of dealing with ADHD that may help your children, and yourself.  Just don’t give up. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

wanderquest

Someone posted a link to a talk on ADHD meds a few days ago. To be honest, it was extremely hard to watch but I remember one of the points being how ADHD meds actually aren’t very addictive because it takes so long to peak in your system. There were graphs and science to explain. Basically if it takes more than 15 minutes for someone to “feel” a drug then the addiction reward switch doesn’t get flipped or whatever.

Here’s that post.

http://totallyaddconnect.com/forums/topic/meds-and-brain-function-some-science/

And in the “ADD and Loving It” video they discuss how the normal drug abuse rate is around 10%, much higher in ADHD people(30%?), and how in kids that start treatment early, the rate drops to 10-12% which is close to the average population. Essentially it can keep them from self-medicating with illicit drugs.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@wanderquest– That is a very, very good point. Prescription meds could prevent more serious addictions to more dangerous drugs.  Not to mention that starting on meds in childhood could also improve performance in school and ability to socialize and make friends.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Jojosephine, don’t let that video scare you. It’s just a hard-sell sales pitch for the products the guy is trying to sell people. Anyone can post anything on YouTube.

A wise man once said that “a lie is halfway around the world, before the truth even has time to put its boots on”. Now that we have the internet and social media, I’d say that the lie is about 3/4 of the way ahead of the truth.

As for those claims that “ADHD meds are highly addictive”…

How can they be so addictive, if we keep forgetting to take them???

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

Well I don’t have much of a choice. I have to try the medication to get me going in the right direction. It is getting quite bad across all areas of my life.

I am seeing my psychiatrist one week today for the first time and I am getting so excited, nervous, scared. I can’t wait for it. I hope it doesn’t take long to find the right dosage for me.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

wanderquest – that was about the gist of it.  The  talk is hard work because it was aimed at medics, but believable because the guy giving it is a reputable scientist.

jojosephine – the stimulants can become addictive…….if you decide to use HUGE doses ground to a powder and injected or snorted. Most of us don’t do that …. If you are that way inclined you can get more powerful and cheaper drugs than methylphenidate. 🙂

Therapeutic doses used as prescribed are fine…..in fact my caffeine addiction has subsided since I started taking my meds. The trick is to take the lowest dose to make an improvement … you will know what is right for you but you will need to experiment.  Please don’t be scared of taking the meds. The only thing you need to be careful of is that they don’t raise your blood pressure too much. Other than that, they are fantastic for getting you going in the right direction.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@jojosephine Good luck with the psychiatrist. I hope you got a good one. 🙂

Things have gotten “quite bad across all areas of my life” too, so I know how you feel.

Discuss your concerns about the medication with the psychiatrist. It will help him/her to choose something that you will feel comfortable trying. And don’t give up if it doesn’t work at first. Sometimes it takes awhile.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)