Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Unfair Treatment in Response to ADHD Symptoms

Unfair Treatment in Response to ADHD Symptoms2012-08-18T08:32:53+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Angry Unfair Treatment in Response to ADHD Symptoms

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

pancakes

Whenever I wait in line at any kind of store, I tend to sway and get somewhat irritated. The people around me sense this and I can sense their repulsion that results from my discomfort. This is especially angering when I ask someone a question and get ignored, or get treated worse than other customers.

Does anyone know what I mean?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi pancakes – yes I know exactly what you mean. I try to occupy myself when in a line like that – I might read some comments on this forum on my ‘phone, or play a game on it, or try to think nice thoughts. I have to tell myself there’s a line and there’s no point in being impatient. Of course it doesn’t always work.

When I get ignored or someone is rude in that situation it’s always made worse if I am already irritated. I try not to respond now and console myself with the thought that they’re having a worse day than me and if they’re like that all the time then they’re just horrible people. Either that or I get really grumpy and then I have a worse day!

I take ritalin now and that med has helped enormously with all that kind of stuff. I expected it to help me in other ways like focus, but the biggest bonus is it reduces my impulsive irritability and impatience.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well pancakes……try smiling at people (work at it) and being pleasant (same thing)……….it works very well and little plus…… takes your mind off of obsessing about being in line……..if it doesn’t come easy, remember neither does playing piano…………

I watch angry, impatient people all day, in line, in their car..in the cafe, behind cash registers…everywhere……..it doesn’t look like any fun……and I’m sure they are not all ADD…………there is another path.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

pancakes – toofat is right. Smiling lifts the soul….and if it doesn’t, then everyone in the line will think you’re crazy and go to another line. Either way….job done! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Something like that Scattb……….hahahahahahaha…….love the perspective!!!

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best Waiting-In-Line Strategy: Pick up a magazine in the checkout, read it during the checkout, drop it off with the cashier and tell them you decided not to buy it after all. 20% of the time, it works every time!

REPORT ABUSE

pigmonkey

I hate line ups with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns, if there are more than three people I will go away and come back. Some days in line ups I just want to push my way through them, step on a face, knee to the groin. I’m not a small person, maybe they could get a sense of the frustration I feel every day.

“I don’t, so don’t tell me I have poor impulse control. I have not hit you and you are clearly an idiot.”

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I have to say, knowing why I get impatient does help. Sometimes. If I recognize it. If I realize I’m getting agitated I am getting better at catching myself and realizing, “Okay, this is my ADHD.” And then I can take a deep breath or two. Or just say, “You know what? I’ll come back later when there’s no line up.”

Sometimes just saying to Ava, “I’m agitated because of this lineup,” is enough to help. And if I’m really antsy she’ll say, “Why don’t you go ahead.”

REPORT ABUSE

Mimi Gibson

It’s always been complete torture for me to wait in line, in a waiting room, for the person I’m with to stop chatting to the cashier at the store, etc. Now I’ve finally realized why God made smart phones. I’ve loaded my phone down with silly little games and I can keep myself entertained for as long as it takes. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

I can really zone out when standing in line if there’s no expectations. Like maybe a movie where I have the tickets and I’ve shown up early for opening night.

In a supermarket it’s like you have to…

– watch the person in front of you

– make space for others

– load groceries onto the belt at the right time

– try to ignore the kid sitting in the basket burning holes through you with his eyes

–  swipe card correctly, hope there’s money in the account

– remember your PIN #

– bag or don’t bag your groceries

– decide on tip amount for bag boy

– remember where you parked

– don’t bump the supermarket checkout displays

– etc.

There’s a lot going on during the line check-out process. It’s not like we can zone out if we want, if I was allowed to zombie at that moment then all would be well.

REPORT ABUSE

Mimi Gibson

@seabassd, you only have to zone out in the grocery store line when you are in line. Once you get to the counter, you’re not waiting, you’re doing. In line you only have to move up when the line moves. Just break it down between the waiting part and the doing part.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Seabassd, I used to get really antsy in long line-ups all the time.  Now, it’s pretty rare, because I’ll either people-watch or daydream.  I’ve come up with some pretty nifty ideas for my writing, when I’ve let my mind play “What if that person started to __________?”

Bonus:  If you’re the only person in that line-up who’s smiling, people tend to keep an eye on you and give you a gentle nudge (verbally) if you haven’t noticed that the line has moved up.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

@Larynxa,

Right, When I think about it no one has ever really “jumped down my throat” for spacing out in line.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)