Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Unfiltered brain

Unfiltered brain2011-03-14T06:00:53+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Unfiltered brain

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where is or what is the missing part within the brain that creates this unprotected boundary for ADDers? My boyfriend told me today that I had no filters and he is right. I have also been told by a friend with a masters in psychology that I need to work on my boundaries. It seems like I am always confused and indecisive. The last psychiatrist I went to gave me meds for “bi-polar” and also said I was ADHD. I tried to tell her the bipolar meds have never worked for me. I am terribly frustrated with this “gift”. I have been trying homeopathic meds lately.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, our gift can be frustrating at times but I always remind myself of that old saying, “Far fields always look greener.”

I truly believe that there is no ‘perfect’ life out there. Everyone is dealing with ‘something’ but most of the time we have no idea of their own issues. It just LOOKS like they have it easy.

I’ll stick with the issues I know rather than trading up for something ‘new’. I like most parts of me all of the time. The ADD is something I’m working on and eventually I’ll get it under control, or at least the issues that get created by it.

Besides, we’re a pretty great group of people, don’t you think?

REPORT ABUSE

MarkJ

Hi Mudslinger48,

I’ve had a similar issue concerning depression – bi-polar meds. Years ago I went to see my MD to discuss my bouts with depression and I was prescribed medication. I was informed that it would take about a month or so before I would feel a difference. I stopped after 8-9 weeks because it had no effect whatsoever.

You might want to look into something called Dysthymia. It’s a form of depression and some of the symptoms are feeling confused, foggy, poor concentration and difficulty making decisions. This would be one of those neat’ co-morbidities that some of us have in their collections.

Despite observations from friends, deep down inside, I always new I wasn’t dealing with clinical

depression or bi-polar disorder. Dysthymia can be confused with Bi-Polar disorder. And if left to it’s own devices, it can blow out to full on clinical depression.

I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD at 34. After deep reflection, since being diagnosed, I noticed that there was a strong correlation between my “depression” and how well things were going on in my life or how I perceived the things that were going on in my life. The word Dysthymia in Greek means “bad state of mind.”

So, when something good would happen and all areas seemed to be clicking along without issue or heartache, it would be like “Magic Presto” – I felt great and my “depression” – gone. I’d have clarity, I got things done and even cleaned my room. And then, when something failed or fell apart, even the smallest thing, and I was left wondering, “how could this happen to me again? Why me? When is something going to finally work out? Why do I have such bad luck!?” I would get depressed again, become irritable, shack up with an extra large pepperoni pizza – 3x extra cheese – and dispiritedly watch as the dishes piled up in the sink.

It almost feels like something “learned” over all the years of not knowing the mysteries behind the “why’s and how’s” that coming to understand ADHD has revealed to me.

Right now, I’m learning to re-frame how I see negative things. Although super difficult at times, I’m finding that it helps to reduce the amount of time I spend with that pizza.

I’ve also noticed that physical excersie, particularly the outdoor kind, reduces the amount of time I feel like a crap sack. That is, when I manage to wiggle out of that “figure four – pepperoni grip”.

Check out “Sponsored Video 3: Holistic Treatment Approach,” on this site.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i think it’s a dopamine thing. some doctors believe that our dopamine receptors aren’t that awesome. :D – thats a technical term, btw- i’m so scientifically literate, hehehe.

dopamine is a brain chemical that is implicated in motivation, pleasure, reward, impulse control, memory, attention, problem solving, decision-making, sociability, addiction- all sortsa stuff…. and also fruit going brown, according to wikipedia. i don’t think thats entirely relevant here though. i have no special powers over fruit spoilage as far as i’m aware. :P

a lot of the ADHD medications give your dopamine levels a bit of a kick up the bum, so to speak- and having more of that stuff floating around in there doing it’s dopamine-y-thing, makes us a bit less ditzy and a bit more functional. :D

…. getting a load of decent exercise increases dopamine levels too- which is probably why it makes a difference for MarkJ when it comes to mood-related stuff. :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)