Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

United States lets SHARE Information about the GOVERNMENT BENEFITS AVAILABLE!

United States lets SHARE Information about the GOVERNMENT BENEFITS AVAILABLE!2011-02-07T16:18:12+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments United States lets SHARE Information about the GOVERNMENT BENEFITS AVAILABLE!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK… ADHD depending on the diagnosis from what I understand may qualify as a Learning Disability…….. I say that as I have been diagnosed with ADHD and that has allowed me some opportunities I never new were available. I have struggled with the symptons of ADHD and it created many issues for me to include but not limited to educational and vocational disadvantages………The division of vocational rehabilitation (often refered to as Dept of DVR) is a part of the Division of Labor…… I believe it is a federal program……… It offers many great opportunities to those with the disability of ADHD. You may want to check out there website…. I had used some of there services BUT unfortunately because of my lack of education about ADHD I failled within the program but hopefully I will be able to correct that as I have many issues that definately are going to force me to change any vocation I had been previously trained at……..

I understand the testing procedure is quite expensive… I had the test done for myself when I had insurance so I do not know the cost. Has anyone here had to get the test done that satisfies the requirements of DVR? What requirements and types of tests did DVR want you to get to qualify for there benefits. If you had to pay out of pocket, what was the cost?

Ok that is just one from me. Are there others? What about private or corporate programs!…… Has anyone found additional benefits that include ADHD in there requirement to obtain them… Hey it is a struggle enough here for us. If there are options Lets share!

By the way, I am from the USA, 48 years of age and have been diagnosed with ADHD after extensive testing. After 3 confirmations by 3 different therapists one being a PHD yes I have PTSD… But I am not going to give up.. I am tired of being codependent and if programs for these incredibly disabilitating diseases exist they do for a reason. . I hope, NO! I need to break these frontal cortex Issues …….It is unfortunately because of many reason I was trained to work through my issues and great struggles but to be honest I relied on others(either non educated or YES educated to the point I was used to there advantage) and that has led me down a very misdirected path and I do not want anyone to have to endure what I have. There is great information today available …. Use it ,,,,, Become educated and knowledgeable…… Yes it is a catch 22 how do you become educated with a wired mind……..

I Do Not Know All the answers, Heck! I barely remember todays date. But unless you start to get information about ADHD there is greater chance for FAILURE. I suspect if you have read this post that is not what your wishes are. Start typing and sharing PLEASE…… Websites, programs, and opprtunities you have experienced or heard of… It can be about Educational, Vocational, Medication costs, Therapeutic or anything else……

REPORT ABUSE

billd

“DVR” as you call it is State run, mostly federal funds, but at least here, the feds match what the state does plus some complex formula.

It’s different in every state. The feds spring for something like 66% of our funding, based on how much the state gives.

Here it’s part of the Department of Ed, not labor, and it’s no longer called “DVRS”, it’s “IVRS” – the “division” was dropped a few years back.

(thank goodness it’s not under labor in this state, those folks at IWD (workforce development) have been a real mess lately, investigations, mis-used funds, you name it.)

“Voc Rehab” can partner with schools, businesses, etc. to help get education, training and jobs. Funding has been cut drastically, and applicants go on a waiting list.

It IS worth a shot, because YES, they work with any handicap, disability, etc. However, their goal isn’t to get you medications or doctors, it’s to find you employment, and/or training to get that employment.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great info Bill where I am from still under DOL………. hopefully others will find it if they need to under either Department.

Thanks for sharing……… You seem knowledgeable….. If you can offer any other possible resources from your local that would be great!

Thanks again……………Any more info would be helpful…….

REPORT ABUSE

billd

If in Iowa, contact the Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services. A part of the Department of Education.

sometimes called “voc rehab” or IVRS, they USED to be DVRS (Division of…..)

They are located through-out the state of Iowa, main office in Des Moines, across from the capital building, on East 12th Street.

They co-habitate in other towns and cities with the IWD offices, or colleges, such as UNI, ISU, and many community colleges for convenience.

Again, the main goal is a job, and/or training to get you a job, but the counselors are also good at help with medical issues – so it’s worth a shot.

Some counties, such as Polk County, in Iowa, also have mental health departments that help folks find solutions.

Some companies, such as Principal Financial Group and the State of Iowa, also participate in EAP (Employee Assistance Program) – some folks might look into that.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

OK so what programs are out there for Washington State? (please keep it short)

I can hardly wait till my wife gets back from her parents! I have a list of things for her to read as long as my arm.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

R u looking for adult or child programs? There is a CHADD group in washington……. Google “Chadd of Washington State”

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Both. Hopefully something close to Bellevue, because we live East of the lake. I don’t like driving into Seattle, nor do I like riding the buss. I try to avoid people, when I can. I want to finish the evaluation with the Councilor I am seeing right now, but getting to his office and back home makes for WAY too long of a day for me.

Now we are aware of the symptoms, and have ADHD to tag them, we noticed our son fits the pattern as well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Absolutely check out CHadd. they seem to have some resources for both…………

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Medication knowledge

OK ……. if you say are precribed ritalin because your health insurer will only cover that presciption but suffer side effects after a short period of time, say a month or so. There may be a chance that you may move to another drug with out consequence. Financial that is if again you suffer side effects (maybe as noted in labelling and attached drug information sheet for that drug) and lets say another drug is available to treat your ADHD and it does not offer the same side effect in there labelling………

Just information to share in case you do suffer serious side effects from one drug it does not mean u should give up on MEDS as you may be able to switch Meds without consequences…….. Check with your health care provider as they may know the answers……

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)