Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

US Military Service with ADHD

US Military Service with ADHD2010-12-05T03:08:47+00:00

The Forums Forums For The Non-ADD It Runs In Families US Military Service with ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

What an amazing site! I am 44yrs and was recently diagnosed with ADD. My son however is 21 yrs and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was six. He refused to take the meds when he was 16yrs and has not been on them since. After reading all of the information on this website it is clear to me that he is suffering with ADHD now as an adult. My concern is that his career in the military will be compromised. He is so unhappy and not being challenged. He needs to be on medication but I’m not sure if this would cause problems with the military? Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I managed to retire after 20 years with the Air Force. Never gave ADD a second thought when I was in the service, but thinking more about it now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a Marine of 7 years and I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD. The military doesnt really seem to care but maybe thats because I have been in for a little while. From what I hear though it only matters if you cant really funtion without meds. Getting someone thier ADHD meds in the battlefield really isnt top priority so they need to know you can still stomp faces without it.

When I see my Doc at the Navy hospital in a few days I will see if i can’t get anything official out of him.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miranda…….. If you think about how the military is set up in a systems approach to doing their business ADHDers often can negotiate through the services up to a certain level. That said it depends on what ADHD symptons are most pronounced with your son… and even though your son might gain stimulation and excell in a certain field/job that is right for him and keeps him energized and focussed often the services pull people from one sector that is “obsolete” and place him in a “needs now” zone. Needs for the military not his.

If he went from infantry to clerk that might be an issue for him.. If you have the ability to communicate with him and depending where he is deployed visit with him and discusss these issues. In hind sight I had a son whom did great and excelled in basic but because he was in a reserve unit he just trained on weekends and just waiting for the week ends to come and then the boring stuff they had him do because of his unit had been deployed just prior to his arrival he lost stimulation and then just gave up.

I feel like crap as a parent as i never was educated about ADHD and never was diagnosed as I should have been……. I suffered in school and later in life (and still do) If i had the education and knowledge i do now I would have definately adressed my sons ADHD issues differently…….. Maybe visit the recruiter and just ask general questions. Contact the VA and do the same. Remember you are dealling with the Gov’t so be calm and patient.

Just a thought from someone whom wishes he new more… back then !

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was in the US Navy for over 13 years. However I was never actually diagnosed until I’d been out for a year. So all of my enlisted time was literally on my own and without medication. Some of it was ok, some of it was really affected.

So… it can be good and bad.

For example…

Clothing. You have a specific uniform you have to wear and if you have to wear a different uniform you’ll know when and where. The downside is that you’ll have to be organized enough to keep it in good condition and not forget bits of medals or hats etc.

Where to be. This one is pretty basic. They’ll let you know exactly where you have to be and when. Often, even how long you’ll have to be there. The ADD issue – being on time. I ended up having to set my watch 5 minutes ahead. (Early is good, late is bad).

Jobs for the day. Again they’ll tell you what you have to do each day. Sometimes it may be a weekly plan of tasks, but you’ll pretty much know what you have to get done and when it has to be done by. ADD?… Yeah getting it done on time without being distracted. I almost got in serious trouble for some of the things I blew off.

There are often however things the military will gladly provide for you…

“Wheel books” – at least that’s what the Navy called them. It’s a little green notebook that fits in your back pocket. It’s great for jotting down tasks.

Desk calendars. If you have a desk, ask your supply department for one of those giant ones you can write all over.

Oh and pens too. You’re suppose to have one on you at all times. Yeah… I didn’t do that a lot. But you do get pens at least.

Medical and food. Not always the best, but… it is something you end up not having to worry about as much.

Now things to ask when you enlist…

If you’re taking medication… it may not be the best place for you to be. Medical is free, but keep in mind your deployment might out last your supply.

You also might be asked to go off of it. That’s something to seriously think about. Also if you deal with classified data that might be another issue.

I would recommend talking to a military doctor and the recruiter about your options.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear ADDisme – I’d like to find out if the military takes ADHD people who DO need meds. Also, my son who REALLY wants to be in the military has been diognosed with Severe Narcolepsy in the last year they think caused by too many concussions. He was a D1 college football player. He thinks he will still be able to join the military, but I seriously doubt they would allow an ADHD person who sleeps too often and needs stimulants to function it all, right?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/801.html

This site has some good information. He might have to stop taking his meds for a year before he enlists it looks like. He really needs to think hard about what job he enlists for too because being a clerk would probably about kill someone with ADD. There are interesting jobs that could become lifetime careers, but those might be a little harder to get.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A childhood diagnoses of ADHD is not necessarily disqualifying. However, actually having ADHD is. Also @ kaotic kelly, your son will most definitely be disqualified for severe narcolepsy. Additionally, the history of concussions may be enough to do it.

-current army recruiter

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)