Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Verbal Blocks

Verbal Blocks2011-04-14T02:08:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Verbal Blocks

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, perhaps it’s just me, but does anyone else ever feel like that get this verbal block that keeps them from speaking? Normally, I’m pretty talkative and people find me funny, but it seems that whenever I’m having an emotional conversation with someone, I have an inability to speak.. I can think of just what I want to say, but I cannot force the words out. It’s especially hard with my mother who does not have A.D.D, because it agitates her easily. My father had A.D.D(i use past tense because he passed away recently, but that has nothing to do with this post so nevermind) and so does my older sister, but I don’t recall either of them ever having this problem..

Maybe I have some other psychological ailment, but, I figured I’d ask.

So anyone?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only thing I can come up with that is similar for myself is when I can’t make up my mind about what I want to say in an emotional conversation because too many things come to mind. Then nothing comes out. But if you know what you want to say, maybe its just because it’s so emotionally loaded that you cannot force the words out. Then also knowing that it agitates your mother so easily you’re throwing anxiety into the mix. I don’t think its another psychological ailment, I just think its the way your body reacts in a moment of stress when the stress gets too high. I’m not an expert, but I do have a psychology and counseling background. So there’s my take on it for what its worth! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same problem. I think it’s the brain balking when you have something that you have to concentrate on to get it right. Also, the fact that we don’t think linearly causes us to need a little time to put things in a logical order. I’ve started trying to make a habit of not being in too great a hurry to get it out in order to give my brain a chance to reboot and get my thoughts lined up. Just a few seconds helps. Find a way to keep your mom’s agitation from getting to you. It’s worth it to be able to say what you want to say.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)