Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Vyvanse and cardio/exercise

Vyvanse and cardio/exercise2010-12-24T18:25:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Vyvanse and cardio/exercise

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello there,

I’ll be starting to take Vyvanse soon and I’m wondering about whether it’s safe to engage in cardio or aerobic exercise activities while on it.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a teen (about 13 years old), and since then, I’ve largely turned to a physical exercise along with cognitive/behavioural modification and therapy to help me through… well… life, basically. Let me say that exercise is not to be underestimated when thinking of methods to help cope with ADD/ADHD. I’ve been a “gym rat” for most of my life (I’m 33 years old now) and have used exercise as a form of mental and physical release and therapy for the 20 years since my original diagnosis. To add to that, I recently bought a book called “Spark”. It’s about the effects of exercise on the brain, and there’s a chapter that talks specifically about ADD/ADHD. The book was written by John Ratey, a well known figure in the field of ADD. I can’t say enough about this book. It is absolutely brilliant, engaging, etc.

Anyhoo. So now that exercise has become a very positive tool for me in dealing with some of the pitfalls of ADD, I really, really, really don’t want to have that wonderful and healthy tool jeopardized due to taking Vyvanse.

From what I’ve read/heard about Vyvanse is that it increases blood pressure and, as well, the heart rate ( BP more than HR, I also hear). If one of the fine experts here can please clarify if there are any risks involved in keeping up a regular exercise program – say 40 minutes of cardio, 3 times a week – while taking Vyvanse, it would be greatly appreciated to be enlightened of them.

To conclude, I do believe with all of my might that physical exercise is something that we North Americans are generally deprived of these days. A fair number of studies have been done that show when we exercise regularly, our brains work best. We produce and utilize neurotransmitters better, and we feel better because of it. It doesn’t matter if it’s yoga, hiking, brisk walks, squash, tennis, roller-blading, jump-rope, indoor wall climbing, bike riding, jogging or going to the gym. Finding an activity that feels right at a frequency that is maintainable, can be pretty helpful to keep yourself healthy and sane while living and coping with ADD.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide some insight on this.

God bless and Merry Christmas (I’m writing this on Dec 24).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)