Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Vyvanse dosage not lasting

Vyvanse dosage not lasting2011-06-01T18:50:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Vyvanse dosage not lasting

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been on Vyvanse for 3 weeks now and love it. However, my doctor has to continue to increase my dosage because it doesn’t last long enough in the day. I started at 30 mg, went up to 40 mg, then to 50 mg. This is my first stimulant and I’m not having any side effects from it other than it just won’t last long enough in the day. Vyvanse has really started to change my life.

I take my Vyvanse at 6:30 in the morning with the hope it would last at least to 6:30 in the evening. I know that’s wishful thinking but are there any suggestions for me to help make that last such as high protein diet, etc.

Also, is 70 mg the highest dosage a person can take of Vyvanse and still be effective?

REPORT ABUSE

cakat01

Some people take more than 70 mg. Vyvanse doesn’t last for me either. In fact, it wears off around 4 hours after I take it. I take 40 mg in the morning and 20 mg after noon. I get incredibly sleepy as it wears off. We didn’t try increasing the dose, which often increases any side effects. I don’t think that a high protein diet helps the Vyvanse last longer. I have been on a high protein diet for at least a month. I feel better eating that much protein, but Vyvanse still wears off as usual.

Your metabolism affects how long these time-release drugs work and last.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ cakat01, Thanks for your input. I suspected the part about the metabolism. I have some extra 20 mgs from when the doctor uped my dose and I have tried taken a 20 around 2 or 3 in the afternoon to get me by and it works just fine but too afraid to tell my doctor. It seems to works. I really don’t want her to think I’m a junkie. I’m really not, in fact I’ve never tried an illegal substance including marijuana. I just want to continue to get through the day. I can continue to sleep like a baby at night with no other sided effects. I’m really torn about what to do. Thanks again for the input.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to clarify “metabolism”. Med’s are all metabolized in the liver so we’re not talking about our fuel-burning capabilities.

I find Vyvanse to be a little bumpy, similar to Ritalin, but it still lasts longer than a lot of other’s. Not as long as it should.

A psychiatrist, during drug trial’s told me that sometimes, even with low-level depression(very common), an antidepressant is necessary along with an ADD med for it to be totally effective. Dr. Daniel Amen has a great book on ADD, the best I’ve seen. He gives suggestions for med’s according to the 6 different types of ADD that he’s identified, questionaire’s, true cases, explanations, Spect imaging that backs up each diagnosis and has been doing this for many year’s. His website is – AmenClinics.com. You’ll get more from the book but the website is valuable. I’m insulin resistant and have high BP, so all be careful with Dr. Oz recommendations for supplements for memory, concentration, etc. Or anyone’s advice. Many will raise your blood sugar or BP, such as Gingko and Ginseng. Others can cause your med’s to leave your body too quickly. I always look to Webmd.com to check out warnings for drugs and supplements there as well as reading the reviews.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ginny,

You are not a junkie any more than a diabetic re-dosing her insulin when her blood sugar goes up. Medication effect duration (how long it works) is specific to each patient. You have found something that works for you. If your doctor makes you feel like a junkie or you are afraid to be honest with him/her I suggest that you find another one that you trust and is willing to work with you. There are definitely experts out there that are comfortable with prescribing twice a day Vyvanse. Hang in there and be true to what you know about yourself and the way medication affects you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The more you empower yourself with knowledge and show a commitment to lifestyle changes the easier it will be to work out a deal with your doc. Let’s be clear, no M.D. wants to take the risk of a patient abusing a controlled substance but their flexibility and trust in you will be assured when you are doing all of the work in other areas. From my personal experience, I just want to see that the person is really trying to follow their agenda and deal with their issues. I am prepared to go to bat for them and look at fancy off-label strategies- the art of medicine. But, it is a partnership and one where there has to be mutual trust.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let me start by stating that I have been on AADD medication for 27 years. In May I changed to Vyvanse, I was taking 100 mg/day of Ritalin and it just was not working at all, plus insurance wanted me to switch to generic-horror. I’ve been on 2 X 60mg Vyvanse per day, morning and afternoon, plus 15mg dexamphetamine as booster for evening. I started out on the maximum of 1 x 70 mg per day, but that fizzled by noon. In June, my doctor increased the dosage to current level. It’s been almost 5 months now.

Since beginning my current dose of 60 mg twice per day of Vyvanse and 1 x 15 mg dexamphetamine, I feel I finally have control! The obsessive talking has stopped, well, sometimes it starts up when dosage is wearing off, I complete projects ahead of time, am able to research for answers, and improve my overall productivity at work.

I think Vyvanse is the best medication I’ve ever been on, as it has no peaks, or lows, just smooth acceleration. I don’t really feel it working, I just feel happy and look forward to the day. And I don’t me happy like ‘high’, I mean happy as in even natured, able to talk to people and act ‘normal’.

I have had no health issues, no high blood pressure with this higher dosage. I know that most people will most likely gain results from a much lower dosage, but if you’re a 27+ year vet and mid 50’s, the higher dose is what works!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Baggins: i take 100mg Vyvanse in the morning and then a 30mg Adderall booster in the evening. i am also 41 years old, and drank nearly a pot of coffee for twenty years before i was diagnosed–likely as a form of self-medicating because the caffeine was the only way i could get any work done. I know this may sound extremely high for many, but for me it is perfect. I suspect that middle-aged adults may often require higher doses of this medication than your typical teenager or twenty-something.

Have there been any studies on how age might affect metabolism and the medication?

Also, i monitor my blood pressure every day, have no problems sleeping (although i take melatonin), and have given up caffeine.

Finally, Vyvanse is so much better for me. It is “smoother” and lasts longer than adderall. However, I don’t have insurance and it is extremely expensive–even with the shire discount program.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jeez, are you sure that’s safe? I take 60 Mgs of it daily, but I am a 16 year old.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

cherryberryblossom

I find it lasts all day for me, i started 2 weeks ago, i take it at 6:30 am and i still feel it in my body till 8pm. but i will wear away around 2pm if i take vitamin c. the biggest thing it did for me was take away my low frustration. i don’t get angry as fast and i dont feel like exploding inside when i am triggered. i am still annoyed, but it is noting like before.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)