Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Vyvanse…is a stimulant, so how does this work with non-hyperactive ADHD???

Vyvanse…is a stimulant, so how does this work with non-hyperactive ADHD???2014-04-15T17:32:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Vyvanse…is a stimulant, so how does this work with non-hyperactive ADHD???

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

karenza

My 19 year old son was just prescribed Vyvanse for his ADHD. I haven’t given it to him yet, because I’m concerned about the side effects. He has the non-hyperactive type of ADHD, and I’m wondering how this medication will affect him. Many years ago he was on Ritalin, but it was a disaster for him after about 2 weeks, because it was over-stimulating, and made him really short-tempered, it gave him insomnia, and his appetite was diminished. So we took him off the Ritalin, and didn’t go back to the medication arena until now, when he is just beginning his college career. I guess my questions are, has anyone had experience with Vyvanse for non-hyperactive ADHD, and did they find it overstimulating? Has anyone with this type of ADHD had experience with the non-stimulant medications, and what did they do for you, etc?

REPORT ABUSE

Wine&Coffee

Hi, I would like to share my experiences with you.

I’m 36. I was diagnosed in my mid 20’s.  YOu’re already pretty far ahead of the game.

It’s great that you are supporting your son.  I’ve often been met with how I should try harder.  My diagnosis has been called a crutch.  And some people in my life resist learning anything about what ADHD is or how it affects who I am.

My diagnosis has been called ADHD Inattentive.  I usually use Adderal XR.  So, I am familiar with what your son is going through. People have often asked me since I’m so hyper why would I need a stimulant?  (inattentive doesn’t mean low activity, it means can’t pay attention)  But the thing is our energy levels go through extreme ups and downs in a days time.  A stimulant keeps us more regular.  Before my meds I could function during the day, but then I’d hit a low, and back up again.  My ‘second wind’ would come at a time that got in the way of sleep, or I’d crash when I had a long to do list.  Stimulants also help to keep my focus at a more constant level.  I daydream a lot less with meds.

As for the non-stimulant, well that just didn’t cut it from me.  I didn’t have the patience to wait for it to build up in my system and start to take effect.  The nonstim you have to take everyday. with a sstimulant, my doctor told me I could take a “drug vacation”  on weekends I could skip a dose if  I wanted to.  If I have a weekend with no plans I skip a dose, to get caught up on my sleep, and I eat. Oh boy do I eat!

That brings me to side effects.  It is an appetite  suppressant. I try to take mine with a hearty breakfast, because it’s better for your body to take on meds during the digestive process, and it’s the only time of the day when I’m really hungry.  I snack throughout the rest of the day.  But I don’t really get hungry again until the evening hours.  If you take a stimulant with a cup of coffee (as I sometimes do) there is a extreme jittery feeling inside.  If you son drinks coffee it’s even more important that he east breakfast.

I do experience dry-mouth.  I just keep water or fruit juice (I try to make sure it’s a healthy drink since I’m not taking on many calories in a day I try to them count) with me so that I can drink, and that usually helps.  I have heard of Biotene.  It’s a mouthwash, specifically for dry mouth caused by medication.  I’ll remember to try it one of these days.

I have been working with the ups and downs of dosage. You have to be patient, because titration can take along time.  When he is over stimulated he will know.  It’s important to tell your doctor what you’re feeling so he can change your dosage if need be.  I’m on a dosage that isn’t controlling my symptoms as well as possible so I will be asking to go up soon, but only by an increase of 5mg.  When it’s not enough he’ll feel distracted and unfocused.  When it’s too much, he’ll feel “zoomy” (at least that’s the word I like to use).  When you get it just right, you feel this great clarity, like someone flipped a switch to the on position.

P.S. I just joined tonight. This is my first post EVER!  Ask me if you have any other questions.

REPORT ABUSE

karenza

Thanks Wine&Coffee for your great input. It helps a great deal to hear about other people’s experiences.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@karenza

I have the non-hyperactive type of ADHD and I take Vyvanse. I have had very few side effects with it and have not found it over stimulating at all. But everyone is different.

There is a pretty big difference between Ritalin and Vyvanse. The Ritalin your son took before was probably the instant release kind which may be what caused the overstimulation, too much all at once. Vyvanse is one of the slow release medications. It is still an amphetamine but it is designed to be released when it mixes with certain enzymes in the body so that it can be absorbed more slowly. I believe it is supposed to last for about 12 hrs, but that varies a lot depending on the individual. I find that I start to “crash” after about 6 or 7 hrs. But a couple of cups of coffee usually gets me through the rest of the afternoon.

Again, everyone is different. Your son might be the type of person who is more sensitive to stimulants. Or he may just need a different kind of stimulant. Unfortunately the only way to know is to try it. Just keep an eye on him and watch for adverse effects. Maybe you could help him to keep a medication journal to record how he feels each day and track his progress and any problems. Mild side effects can be expected at the beginning and some people do have a few days where they feel over stimulated. But that should go away. If it doesn’t, or if the side effects worsen, then of course you should call the doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@Wine&Coffee

“I’ll remember to try it one of these days”

LOL Famous last words.

Dry mouth is probably the biggest side effect I have, since I take two medications that cause it. Chewing gum can also help. And snacking on watery veggies, like cucumber. Also  lemon juice or sour candies are good for getting the saliva flowing.

I haven’t found that I have any problem with drinking coffee along with the Vyvanse. It is not recommended though.

It hasn’t had any effect on my appetite. At least not that I’ve noticed but I’m not much of a regular eater to begin with. That’s one of the things I am supposed to be working on. But the breakfast is important for sure. Having lots of protein is supposed to help too.

Welcome to the forums. Please drop in and post comments whenever you can. It’s always nice to have someone new come and share their experiences. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)